website statistics

GB Beach Volleyball

The Bello brothers get their 2024 season underway later today when they compete in the qualifying for the Elite16 event in Dubai.

They'll start their campaign against :ITA Rossi & Lupo. If they can come through that, they'll face the winner of :FRA Canet / Rotar v :BRA Pedro Solberg / Guto for a place in the main draw. 

Their 2023 season was hampered a fair bit by injury, and they didn't compete as on the main tour as they probably would have liked so it's great to see them starting their season so early and doing so in a top tier event. 

Whilst I am not expecting them to qualify for Paris through the ranking route, I do think they could be dark house for a surprise quota via the Continental Cup.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, Rafa Maciel said:

The Bello brothers get their 2024 season underway later today when they compete in the qualifying for the Elite16 event in Dubai.

They'll start their campaign against :ITA Rossi & Lupo. If they can come through that, they'll face the winner of :FRA Canet / Rotar v :BRA Pedro Solberg / Guto for a place in the main draw. 

Their 2023 season was hampered a fair bit by injury, and they didn't compete as on the main tour as they probably would have liked so it's great to see them starting their season so early and doing so in a top tier event. 

Whilst I am not expecting them to qualify for Paris through the ranking route, I do think they could be dark house for a surprise quota via the Continental Cup.

This would be a big quota for us if we could get it. The sport has the potential to blow up over here in my opinion and the coverage the Bello brothers would get would help this on massively. 

7 minutes ago, Cinnamon Bun said:

This would be a big quota for us if we could get it. The sport has the potential to blow up over here in my opinion and the coverage the Bello brothers would get would help this on massively. 

Agreed - would be great to see a beach volleyball event being held in the UK again. The event got an amazing reception at London 2012 and at the Commonwealths in '22.

I think the Bellos were targeting LA '28 as their best chance of getting to an Olympics, but they have decent chance of getting the European quota given they were 5th at last year's European Champs.

The problem has always been that the size of the draws in beach volleyball events are so small that it is difficult for them to play on the main tour week in week out so they end up playing at lower level events which don't really help their overall ranking.

• 2 weeks later...

Bello brothers begin their LATAM swing next week with Challenger level tournament in :BRA Recife followed by the challenger event in :BRA Saquarema at the end of March - for both tournaments they are already in the main draw so no need for qualifying. 

After :BRA, they'll head to :MEX for a challenger event in Guadalaraja before trying to make the main draw of the Elite 16 event in Tepic. 

Bello brothers come from behind to take out :CUB Diaz / Alayo 2-1 (21-23 / 22-20 / 15-13) They were trailing throughout and it looked like the Cubans would win in straight sets before they battled back to level. In the decider, the Cubans looked to be heading for the win before the brothers fought back to sneak home with the win over the 6th seeds.