website statistics

GB Gymnastics

3 hours ago, RussB said:

Absolutely devastating news to hear that Ondine has torn her ACL so is the end of her Paris dreams; and by association the chances of the women’s squad.

Horrible luck for her; hopefully she has a smooth and speedy recovery.

The injury jinx on the women's side is utterly dreadful. With both Gadirovas and Ondine missing out, that's pretty obviously curtains for any lingering chance of a team medal, and leaves Alice Kinsella as the only, very outside bet for an AA medal.

Interesting to see Amelie Morgan back in the squad. Obviously the best women's hope for a medal now in gymnastics is probably - and already probably was - Bryony Page on the trampoline. If Beckie Downie pulls a worldie, she has a punchers chance, but in all truth I can't see much more.

The europeans, however, is a good chance for what's left of the squad to try and step up, especially on individual apparatus, given the team medals all but gone now.

Putting aside the disappointment of the Achampong announcement to finish the review of the men's championships:

Men's Floor Final:

Floor has been a strong apparatus for GB in the past, and this year was no different with both Jake Jarman and Luke Whitehouse making the individual final although it has always surprised me a little that Jarman hasn't been able to make much of an impact on floor given how good he is at tumbling - he even has a move named after him. Unfortunately, Jarman got his alignment slightly wrong on his first tumble which ultimately meant that he went out of the area with both feet for a hefty deduction. In the end he came away with 13.966 but without the mistake, it would have been 14.366. 

Luke Whitehouse was looking to defend his title from 2023 and was the last gymnast to compete. He put is an assured performance to come out on top with a score of 14.866 ahead of :ISR Artem Dolgopyat on 14.833 - the same 1-2 as last year. 

Men's Rings Final:

Courtney Tulloch was the only British representative in the final - given his skill on this apparatus I would have expected Hepworth to be in the final but as I said above, I am not sure whether he was carrying an injury during this competition because he didn't hit his routines in the way that we've come to expect. In the final, Tulloch matched his qualifying score of 14.700 which left him in 6th place.

Men's Vault Final:

Jake Jarman is current world champion on vault, so it was no surprise that he qualified for the final. I was a little surprised that he was joined by Luke Whitehouse and not Hepworth. Whitehouse was the first to compete, but he made an error on the landing of his first vault which took him out of contention for the podium. His second vault was much cleaner and he finished with an average of 13.683. 

:ARM Artur Davtyan had 2 solid vaults and set a target of 14.850. Jarman responded with a 15.000 first vault with a 0.100 deduction for stepping out of the area. His second vault scored 14.766 to give him an average of 14.883 and secured him his second European vault title.  

Men's P-Bars Final:

James Hall qualified in 8th place and put in a solid performance in the final to score 14.366 and finished in 5th place. 

The men's European champs finished yesterday with the men's team event with :GBR looking to regain the title they last won in 2022. Ultimately, they came up just short, losing out to Ukraine by 0.333. 

There were a lot of positives to take away - the team put together 18 clean performances and Joe Fraser, who had a pretty disastrous qualifying, put in solid performances on pommel, P-Bars and horizontal bar. 

There is however an element of what could have been - I'm not sure why Jarman was put up on rings given it's probably his weakest apparatus. In the end, he scored 12.866 and I do think that had we used Fraser or Hall, they could have scored over 13 and put us into the gold medal position. 

The GB team score was 255.429 - so looking forward to Paris, they might need to find another 3-4 points to be challenging the podium. Max Whitlock being back in the team probably gains about 1 point on pommel and if Fraser is used on rings instead of Jarman, that could be another 0.5-1.0 points. Beyond that, it begins to get more difficult to see where more points can be gained. 

Posted (edited)
On 4/29/2024 at 12:54 PM, mpjmcevoy said:

The injury jinx on the women's side is utterly dreadful. With both Gadirovas and Ondine missing out, that's pretty obviously curtains for any lingering chance of a team medal, and leaves Alice Kinsella as the only, very outside bet for an AA medal.

Interesting to see Amelie Morgan back in the squad. Obviously the best women's hope for a medal now in gymnastics is probably - and already probably was - Bryony Page on the trampoline. If Beckie Downie pulls a worldie, she has a punchers chance, but in all truth I can't see much more.

The europeans, however, is a good chance for what's left of the squad to try and step up, especially on individual apparatus, given the team medals all but gone now.

Amelie Morgan has decided to retire from GB and will not attempt to compete in Paris.

https://www.essentiallysports.com/us-sports-news-olympics-news-gymnastics-news-paris-olympics-two-thousand-twenty-four-following-ondine-achampongs-exit-another-british-gymnast-amelie-morgan-backs-out/

Edited by Orangehair43

Halfway through the comp and the Brits have had clean routines. 41.566 for uneven bars - including a 14.500 for Beckie Downie. That's a full point more than their 2022 World's score and just under 2 points more than they scored in Antwerp. 

Currently the team are sitting on 83.432 and are running about 3 points higher than their score from last year but about 1.2 points less than they scored in Liverpool. 

21 minutes ago, Rafa Maciel said:

Halfway through the comp and the Brits have had clean routines. 41.566 for uneven bars - including a 14.500 for Beckie Downie. That's a full point more than their 2022 World's score and just under 2 points more than they scored in Antwerp. 

Currently the team are sitting on 83.432 and are running about 3 points higher than their score from last year but about 1.2 points less than they scored in Liverpool. 

Crisis, what crisis 😅

Posted (edited)

The good start for British women hits a bit of a speed bump on balance beam. Beckie Downie top scorer for the team on 12.933. Looks like Fenton had a fall but Downie and Kinsella both hit clean routines. Team score 38.199 so down on both Antwerp and Liverpool. 

Edited by Rafa Maciel