website statistics

Table Tennis ITTF Team World Championships 2024 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

16 minutes ago, zob79 said:

In what world can you beat Romania at table tennis?

What do you mean in what world? We're higher ranked than them by six places and we have the twenty fifth best player in the world, this is just like us playing someone like America - we've got a very good chance. 

5 minutes ago, JoshMartini007 said:

Here are the 9 nations currently in line for the Olympic quotas via World Rankings (some will qualify by reaching the quarterfinals):

Men

:GER:JPN:KOR:TPE:POR:SLO:CRO:HKG:NGR

Nigeria will drop off after the first round of the knock-out is completed, the next highest ranked nation is :DEN.

Women

:JPN:KOR:ROU:HKG:TPE:PUR:THA:AUT:SGP

Likewise, Puerto Rico can no longer gain any more points and needs to rely on a few low ranked nations winning their first round match in order to qualify.

Shouldn't it be :GBR instead of :NGR and :DEN

6 minutes ago, JoshMartini007 said:

Here are the 9 nations currently in line for the Olympic quotas via World Rankings (some will qualify by reaching the quarterfinals):

Men

Nigeria will drop off after the first round of the knock-out is completed, the next highest ranked nation is :DEN.

Which ranking are you using because I thought :IND :BEL and :GBR are all ranked higher than :NGR and :POL is ahead of :DEN?

1 minute ago, Rafa Maciel said:

Yeah - last 16 is the best we can hope for unfortunately. Having said that, the draw wouldn't have been much better had we been second in the table - :INDin last 32 and then :KOR

We could actually do with :KAZ beating :IND as it would mean we've at least matched their result, crucially keeping us ahead of them in the rankings. Missing out on this would be awful for the boys considering we've been in the top 18 for the entirety of the qualification period. 

8 minutes ago, Cinnamon Bun said:

Shouldn't it be :GBR instead of :NGR and :DEN

4 minutes ago, Rafa Maciel said:

Which ranking are you using because I thought :IND :BEL and :GBR are all ranked higher than :NGR and :POL is ahead of :DEN?

This is after removing points obtained from the 2022 Team World Championships. So teams which made the R16 or further in 2022 have currently lost points while teams with a poor 2022 (like Nigeria and Denmark) have increased in points already.

We'll have a clearer picture tomorrow as to who has qualified to the Olympics.

Edited by JoshMartini007

6 hours ago, JoshMartini007 said:

Men

Women

:JPN:KOR:ROU:HKG:TPE:PUR:THA:AUT:SGP

Likewise, Puerto Rico can no longer gain any more points and needs to rely on a few low ranked nations winning their first round match in order to qualify.

The ranking will change anyway after the world champs so there still might be changes. Additionally, I am surprised that into this ranking is also counted Olympic tournament from Tokyo Games. As it's a new Olympic cycle so it might feel like unfair for the countries that are not world top. 

So after the QFs are decided, if there are ( surely would be x number of continental qualifiers who reach QFs ) ..... Then these x number would be added to the ranking quota ( currently 1 ) which then would be decided on the end of March ittf  ranking  ( which would change based on these results as well ) ... Would my understanding be correct ? 

Or have I misunderstood 

strength does not come from physical capacity but from an indomitable will. - Gandhi

6 minutes ago, nitinsanker said:

So after the QFs are decided, if there are ( surely would be x number of continental qualifiers who reach QFs ) ..... Then these x number would be added to the ranking quota ( currently 1 ) which then would be decided on the end of March ittf  ranking  ( which would change based on these results as well ) ... Would my understanding be correct ? 

Or have I misunderstood 

start of March ranking

the next ranking they publish right after this competition

So the Rnd 16 teams have been decided. Assuming that group winners are also the quarter-finalists, those who qualify are :JPN:TPE:KOR:HKG:ROU .
This leaves four teams who can qualify by rankings, heres my rankings scenario
1 - :POL 2114 pts
2 - :POR 2024 pts
3 - :IND 1994 pts
4 - :SWE 1980 pts
8 - :SGP 1762 pts
9 - :SVK 1392 pts
10 - :LUX 1230 pts