website statistics

Athletics 2024 Discussion Thread

Totallympics

Athing Mu :USA falls on the first lap and will not be selected for the Olympics.

Heartbreaking images as she cries leaving the track :cry:

Edited by Olympian1010

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

57 minutes ago, dullard said:

Shocking scenes. Hope Keely can deal with the pressure of being favourite in Paris and claim her first gold.

Now that she finally understood Mary Moora's tactic/stategy, Keely is the overwhelming favourite for the Olympic gold

57 minutes ago, dullard said:

Shocking scenes. Hope Keely can deal with the pressure of being favourite in Paris and claim her first gold.

Not sure that Keely is necessarily clear favourite, considering you have the reigning world champ in there with her. But there's a medal up for grabs that probably wasn't expected to be now. Which will make for an interesting race in itself.

2 minutes ago, Braulio said:

Now that she finally understood Mary Moora's tactic/stategy, Keely is the overwhelming favourite for the Olympic gold

Understanding it is one thing. Being able to execute every time to beat it is another. And then there is the issue of fitness/health. Keely's chances just went up but we shouldn't be hanging the gold around her neck just yet.

16 year old Quincy Willson will be up for nomination for the 4x400m squad for Paris even the Mixed 4x400m Pool, wonder if the USATF will select him despite not having international experience at all. He finished sixth in the final and all three rounds under 45 seconds. 

Michael Norman second in the 400m final, I can see the guy again having the olympic pressure hitting him, hopefully wont be a Tokyo re-visit but I didnt see him as confident like in 2022 when he finally delivered. 

Edited by Braulio

11 minutes ago, Josh said:

Forgot to mention this earlier, :CUB Leyanis Perez Hernandez recorded a new WL of 15.16m in women’s triple jump at the Meeting Guadalajara :yikes:

Right where you want to be a month out from the Olympics. 

Technically not a WL as it had a +2.3 wind.

Apologies for all of the spam, but I thought I’d share these two incredible stories of newly qualified Olympian in the women’s 400m, Kendall Ellis, who PB’d in both the semifinals and finals en route to the US National title (49.99 PB previously, to 49.81, and now 49.46)

In 2022, she had an anxiety attack before Worlds which left her paralyzed in bed. She went on to Worlds and placed 6th in her 1st round heat. 

But not only that, about an hour before her 400m semifinal at these US Olympic Trials, she was going to the bathroom, and the lock on the porta potty got jammed. She started panicking and banging on the door, yelling “HELP ME” and “BLOODY MARY” until a worker let her out 10 minutes later. Less than an hour later, she PB’d in her semifinal….