website statistics

Curling WCF European Championship 2023

Totallympics

1 hour ago, Rafa Maciel said:

:clap: Great result for :SCO in what was an excellent final that could have gone either way. 

The medal presentation was a bit bizarre though - a very strange rendition of Flower of Scotland where the piper was going so slowly that the crowd singing finished way before she did and ended up having to repeat the last couple of lines. 

Some really bizarre mistakes from both teams though!

So, whilst Scottish Curling will no doubt be celebrating the men's side, at some point they are going to have to wake up to the fact that there is something that is just not working on the women's side and if they want to be winning a medal in Milan-Cortina, then Rebecca Morrison may not be the skip they need to be putting forward. 

Morrison had 4 matches where she was scored less than 70% and seemed to consistently be the weakest player on the team. They also elected to rotate their alternate in on a one-on, one-off basis which I don't think any of the main curling nations do when their team is working well together. To be fair, the alternate - Sinclair - played great matches and scored over 90% is all 4 but they still elected to play Aitken when she was scoring in the 70% range. 

Then there is the issue of Jennifer Dodds. Personally, I think she is one of the strongest curlers within the Scottish squad, but as an outsider, I get the impression that she and Morrison don't get on. Unlike the majority of other teams where the skip and the third are constantly working together to build the end, there seemed to be hardly any interaction between Dodds and Morrison. It is almost as if Morrison has been told by Scottish Curling that Dodds is on the squad and is playing third whether she likes it or not.