website statistics

Biathlon IBU Summer World Championships 2023

Totallympics

Lol, Vytautas Strolia 1+0 :LTU managed to get a medal here :p

I'm rather more surprised with Maksim Fomin 0+0 in 6th, only 4 seconds behind Vytautas.

Hopefully he can showcase it on the snow, with Kaukėnas and Dombrovski in bad form for what feels like decades, Fomin could become our nr. 2 

Edited by Werloc

Ouch.  Some harsh words from Ski Nordique.net

"What sporting interest for these summer world championships?

Year after year, the IBU promises us to develop its summer circuit, to do its utmost to attract the best to its world championships but, as often, the 2023 edition scheduled for this weekend in Slovakia will be a total flop.

Obviously it is not a question of disrespecting all the biathletes present, who will fight for the medals, but one wonders above all in the name of what these events can lead to world titles?

The Norwegians, the French, the Italians, the Russians, the Belarusians, the Swiss, the Austrians, the best Swedes and the best Germans are all absent, yes that's a lot to talk about a world championship.

The events scheduled for Osrblie are just a sham and look just like a party between four or five Eastern European nations. 

If the IBU wants to organize real worlds, no doubt they would have to organize them elsewhere, in a place that attracts the best teams, and probably not every year.

Moreover, the best biathletes are not mistaken and choose, to show themselves and test themselves, the City Biathlon, the Blink Festival and the Martin Fourcade Nordic Festival, then their national championships.

So organize world championships to please five nations, why not, but it's time to rename them "Slavic Championships"...

This strong propensity of the IBU to want to distribute medals at all costs, there are already more than enough in winter, is really not likely to enhance performance, quite the contrary."

The IBU does not mandate nations to attend the winter World Champs, why should they mandate the summer ones?  I think that larger question, and this is a hard one to deal with is how does the IBU manage the schedule for the summer events.  The summer is primarily a training season.  Unless an event fits into the training schedule, most teams will not attend.  So either they need to alter their summer training, or they do not attend.  

18 minutes ago, RobtheAggie said:

the 2023 edition scheduled for this weekend in Slovakia will be a total flop.

I always knew french were time travellers :bowdown: Must return to France one day and look for the next edition lottery numbers. I am looking for some money lately, you know