website statistics

Rio de Janeiro Summer Olympic Games 2016 News

I'm curious how the Brazilians here are looking at the general atmosphere and attendance of and around these Olympics...basically all I'm reading is that people are extremely disappointed with how it's all going, because it often feels like it's just a local competition or a practice match or something...it feels "dead"...how are people in Brazil looking at it? 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

hace 12 minutos, heywoodu said:

I'm curious how the Brazilians here are looking at the general atmosphere and attendance of and around these Olympics...basically all I'm reading is that people are extremely disappointed with how it's all going, because it often feels like it's just a local competition or a practice match or something...it feels "dead"...how are people in Brazil looking at it? 

The notable exception is every event involving an argentine team :d we fill up the stadium (like, really, with 1/4 of the grades) and sing all match and then brazilians get angry and reply.

2 minutes ago, LDOG said:

The notable exception is every event involving an argentine team :d we fill up the stadium (like, really, with 1/4 of the grades) and sing all match and then brazilians get angry and reply.

Ah yes, I saw Argentina - Lithuania (I think?) in the basketball last night or the night before (I've lost track of time and have no idea which day it is anymore so I can be wrong), and the Argentinians were making a ton of noise :clap:

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

3 horas atrás, heywoodu disse:

Olympics have been amazing IMO. Most events I've been so far were packed with fans. I'm not even talking about events involving Brazil that obviously will have a lot of people (Beach Volleyball in the fucking rain sold out), but things like Rugby and Field Hockey. Of course some things don't have great attendance but I don't mind. You can really expect people to show up for Archery when it's cold AF these days (I only went to this event because it's the Olympics after all, but I almost froze to death). And also there is things like Equestrian in which the cheapest ticket cost 300 reais (and there are only a few of these available), which is pretty expensive for most people - with this money, I can spend a day in Deodoro and watch Basketball, Field Hockey AND Rugby - and still have some money left for food.

I think some of the stands could have fewer seats, but I understand that those are required by the federations (correct me if I'm wrong). I'm pretty sure other brazilians here have a similar opinion from what we talk among ourselves. But take this with a grain of salt. I'm a brazilian attending the Games so my opinion shouldn't really count.

6 hours ago, vinipereira said:

Olympics have been amazing IMO. Most events I've been so far were packed with fans. I'm not even talking about events involving Brazil that obviously will have a lot of people (Beach Volleyball in the fucking rain sold out), but things like Rugby and Field Hockey. Of course some things don't have great attendance but I don't mind. You can really expect people to show up for Archery when it's cold AF these days (I only went to this event because it's the Olympics after all, but I almost froze to death). And also there is things like Equestrian in which the cheapest ticket cost 300 reais (and there are only a few of these available), which is pretty expensive for most people - with this money, I can spend a day in Deodoro and watch Basketball, Field Hockey AND Rugby - and still have some money left for food.

I think some of the stands could have fewer seats, but I understand that those are required by the federations (correct me if I'm wrong). I'm pretty sure other brazilians here have a similar opinion from what we talk among ourselves. But take this with a grain of salt. I'm a brazilian attending the Games so my opinion shouldn't really count.

So it really seems like a thing for non-Brazilians..

Maybe for next Olympics they should just have cheaper tickets, so that also on TV it actually looks mostly full instead of there being a ton of empty seats. Of all nations I had expected the Olympics in Brazil to be the most "full of fire" (don't really know how else to describe it), so maybe the second week will get better :)

And yes, the stands definitely should have fewer seats, especially the stadiums. It's always better to have a full 20k stadium than a 50k stadium with 30k people in it :p 

But well, IOC mostly cares about the money I guess, not really about how full it all looks. 

And don't get me wrong, in terms of sports, these Games are fantastic so far :)

Edited by heywoodu

Now here for you all, a little insight into Irish sport. Not only did our boxing federation force out our national coach and destroy our Olympics, those at the top are also disgracing themselves :facepalm:. When I hear people complaining about their national federations and Olympic councils, I just think, wow, they re lucky to have such good officials. Try living the life of an Irish sports fan :d

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-37107450