website statistics

Commonwealth Games 2026

Totallympics

13 minutes ago, dodge said:

Nothing says post colonialism more than controlling how they spend their money :p

There's always a seat at the Commonwealth Table, should Ireland wish to avail of it - De Valera essentially invented the Commonwealth with "External Association" after all...

;-)

More seriously, I'm sure some sort of 'co-planning' can be designed that does not offend Ghana's pride or sovereignty. Looking at the venues for the African Games, They look almost perfect for a slimmed down 2026 event. Events there are no room for should be encouraged to arrange, in conjunction with CGF and Ghana, official Commonwealth Championships at existing sites elsewhere where the events are popular, along the lines invented by the Indians for Shooting and Archery - indeed, this may be such an example - and go with the 'two medal table' route - where every event in the Games is concurrently that years Commonwealth Championship, equal with non-Games commonwealth Championships elsewhere, and the Games are more of a 'peak' in a year of Commonwealth sport, rather than the one and only event.

I imagine, for example, the Scots or English would be happy enough to have another Commonwealth Track Cycling Champs if Ghana can't accommodate, so long as they are televised and publicised as if they were part of the Games.

If Ghana gets the 100M£ (as it should) for doing this, that still leaves some 'seed' money in the CGF kitty to help out with these separate Championships

Edited by mpjmcevoy

1 hour ago, dodge said:

Nothing says post colonialism more than controlling how they spend their money :p

To be fair, given how the budget for Victoria was allowed to spiral out of control and the fact that if it goes wrong this time, it would pretty much guarantee the end of the Games, any host city/nation would face a higher degree of scrutiny and control. 

Comparing what Ghana hosted at the African Games and what was on the program at the 2022 Commonwealth Games, we are missing cycling (mountain and track), diving, gymnastics (artistic and rhythmic), lawn bowls, netball, powerlifting and squash.

We may be able to fit gymnastics, netball, powerlifting and squash in venues which had events not part of the Commonwealth Games. 

It looks like Ghana has a pre-existing mountain bike course and possibly a place to host lawn bowls. I'm unable to tell if the swimming venue also has diving boards so that and track cycling may have to dropped from the program or given to a different host.

3 hours ago, mpjmcevoy said:

India is a very big country with designs on being a nationalistic superpower - I can see how that continued Commonwealth membership doesn't really sit with that, but I think that's a pity in some ways.

Actually if it would have been any other time, India would have jumped at the opportunity of being the host; but India now is focusing on hosting the 2030 Youth Olympics and 2036 Summer Olympics. and the proposed host city is Ahmedabad where a new sports complex is being built. Even still, if the proposed host city would have been Delhi, host city of 2010 Commonwealth Games, where there is existing sports infrastructure, then most probably India would have opted for hosting the CW Games

53 minutes ago, JoshMartini007 said:

Comparing what Ghana hosted at the African Games and what was on the program at the 2022 Commonwealth Games, we are missing cycling (mountain and track), diving, gymnastics (artistic and rhythmic), lawn bowls, netball, powerlifting and squash.

We may be able to fit gymnastics, netball, powerlifting and squash in venues which had events not part of the Commonwealth Games. 

It looks like Ghana has a pre-existing mountain bike course and possibly a place to host lawn bowls. I'm unable to tell if the swimming venue also has diving boards so that and track cycling may have to dropped from the program or given to a different host.

That would fit existing  venue at QEIi Park, or Melbourne with little fuss. So shooting and archery, India, trac cycling and gymnastics, London

3 hours ago, JoshMartini007 said:

With nations not requiring to have these sports I'm not sure Netball, Gymnastics , diving will be considered. Lawn Bowls isn't expensive. Swimming venue was very poor

Athletics, Rugby, Tennis, Badminton, TT, Wrestling, Boxing, Taekwondo(expecting a debut or Judo), Road Cycling, Field Hockey , 3*3, Weightlifting , Triathlon, Beach Volleyball should be there.

1 hour ago, Fly_like_a_don said:

With nations not requiring to have these sports I'm not sure Netball, Gymnastics , diving will be considered. Lawn Bowls isn't expensive. Swimming venue was very poor

Athletics, Rugby, Tennis, Badminton, TT, Wrestling, Boxing, Taekwondo(expecting a debut or Judo), Road Cycling, Field Hockey , 3*3, Weightlifting , Triathlon, Beach Volleyball should be there.

Those three are some of the more popular sorts in terms of viewing figures. 

Edited by Orangehair43