website statistics

Athletics WA World Championships 2023

Totallympics

10 minutes ago, lapaj said:

I think this Athletic WC is more than enough to a small country. Olympics, Football WC are very expensive games.

But an Olympics close to Hungary would count the sport lover Hungarians!

Not sure if it would be in the best financial interest of a small country like Hungary to host such a big event? The last time such a small country hosted summer olympics was in 2004. I think most greek people would say that it wasn't a positive thing for them. Hungary would probably have to build multiple big arenas (for football) or maybe find a co-host (Austria). European games or YOG might be a better fit for Hungary, at least for a start. I think even a country like the Netherlands might be too small for summer olympics.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

in the end, it was a very enjoyable afternoon of athletics

my highlights, the men's Hammer Throw and above all the KJT vs Anna Hall duel in the 800m of the women's Eptathlon...what a race! what an effort by a likely injured Hall and what an answer by KJT

luckily, I didn't watch that on the BBC :p :lol:

2 minutes ago, OlympicsFan said:

Not sure if it would be in the best financial interest of a small country like Hungary to host such a big event? The last time such a small country hosted summer olympics was in 2004. I think most greek people would say that it wasn't a positive thing for them. Hungary would probably have to build multiple big arenas (for football) or maybe find a co-host (Austria). European games or YOG might be a better fit for Hungary, at least for a start. I think even a country like the Netherlands might be too small for summer olympics.

or the IOC might cut their requests for "cathedrals in the desert" down...

I think Budapest already have a lot of venues more than suitable for the OGs and if only the IOC could accept to host some sports in temporary pavillions in an "Exhibition Complex" in town (which would host any sort of activity as a legacy after the games), then also smaller Countries like :HUN (or :NED) might be able one day to enjoy Home Olympics

otherwise it will be more and more difficult for them to find a big city really wanting to spend so much money, except maybe for some Nations under dictatorships in search for propaganda

10 minutes ago, phelps said:

I think Budapest already have a lot of venues more than suitable for the OGs and if only the IOC could accept to host some sports in temporary pavillions in an "Exhibition Complex" in town (which would host any sort of activity as a legacy after the games), then also smaller Countries like :HUN (or :NED) might be able one day to enjoy Home Olympics

otherwise it will be more and more difficult for them to find a big city really wanting to spend so much money, except maybe for some Nations under dictatorships in search for propaganda

Exactly, this is the whole problem.  IOC always insist on some grand project worth of the Pharoahs rather than something readymade like Munich 2022.

Budapest wouldn't be able to host anything bigger than this until they build more underground lines. The public transport is struggling even at this WCh, I can't even imagine what it would look like during the Games. The city is simply too small, it would instantly collapse if you throw a huge amount of people in there.

14 minutes ago, phelps said:

This discussion has been held a billion times in the past decades. I think Japan also claimed that they wouldn't spend insane amounts of money on the olympics, but in the end they still did. Personally i think that the IOC would rather give the olympics to Saudi-Arabia or Qatar than to lower their demands so much that hosting the olympics wouldn't be a huge waste of money for the host country. Also not sure why you act as if it is Hungary on the one hand and dictatorships on the other hand ... what is the reason for Hungary hosting half of the big competitions nowadays if not propaganda for Orban?

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

13 minutes ago, OlympicsFan said:

This discussion has been held a billion times in the past decades. I think Japan also claimed that they wouldn't spend insane amounts of money on the olympics, but in the end they still did. Personally i think that the IOC would rather give the olympics to Saudi-Arabia or Qatar than to lower their demands so much that hosting the olympics wouldn't be a huge waste of money for the host country. Also not sure why you act as if it is Hungary on the one hand and dictatorships on the other hand ... what is the reason for Hungary hosting half of the big competitions nowadays if not propaganda for Orban?

Propaganda of the sport from a sport lover country!

Back to today's events. I am not sure what you saw on TV, but in the stadium Krizsán was shown as the bronze medalist for 30 seconds, that's why the crowd went insane. I think even Krizsán though for a sec that some miracle happened. They need to be more careful about how they show the live calculation.

39 minutes ago, phelps said:

It's already cut to the extremes I'd say. I mean we have a lot of olympic venues with only 3 or 5,000 seats. That's forth tier football stadium in many countries. Temporary venues are very encouraged also.

Edited by De_Gambassi