website statistics

Athletics WA World Championships 2023

Totallympics

3 hours ago, Andry84 said:

With  these expectations  it will  be' always a disappointment,  Fortunato fighting  for a medal  probably  only in a dream,  Stano  always  struggled  in 20km after  and before Tokyo,  Iapichino expected  well over  7m? Hey? She was ona of the  6 or 7 medal contenders , she has a personal best  shorter  or similari to the other  athletes   Arese expected  in final? He had something around  50th time  this year,  he surely  could  have done  the final  but its note a disappointment,  there are at east 10 boys clearly  better than him who didnt  make the final. 

For the other sport  I agree  with you  that Italy  isnt  overperforming  at all, there are some surprising medals, but  also many other medal contenders  who didnt  bring  anything  at home. 

Fortunato this Spring won the most important race of the season beating all those who beat him yesterday...so, yes, he was a legitimate medal candidate

I'm not that disappointed or surprised he didn't medal, but I counted on him before the race, I wouldn't have been shocked if he had won

Stano was 3rd in the same race Fortunato won, he's last year's world champion over the 35 kms (with a last 2 kms stint that would have given him also the 20km title)...his only bad race was at the Europeans in Munich (and also that day it was raining hard...is it a coincidence? :whistle:)

Iapichino won 3 consecutive diamond league meets, she jumped 6.97 indoor (silver medal at the Euroindoor) and 6.95 and 6.93 in those DL meets...despite all you can say, with Mihambo out of contention, she was the absolute favourite before the event...and yes, when you're regularly 3/7 cms short of the 7m mark through the season, you are more than expected to improve at least by 10cm in the top event of the year...the champions normally do that

and in any case, it's not even the 5th place the disappointing part, it's just the measure...a growing talent like her can't afford to not get the top result of the year when she's supposed to and come home without being criticized.

Arese...the PB are relatively not important in this case...the race was on "his" pace, there were no pacemakers leading to a 3.30 mark, he has the perfect characteristics to perform well in this kind of events rather than the circuit meets as he has good progression over the last lap or so and also a good change in the last 100m...he can really do well in a world semifinal with a 3.33 pace (and Cavalli is the perfect demonstration of this theory...you don't need a super-fast PB when the race is just on "your" pace...you need a great kick and some luck)

however, I didn't mark Arese as "disappointing", I only wrote that I expected him to make the final because of the tactical nature of a world semifinal race...he couldn't...no problem, he'll do it next time, I'm sure...it's not his elimination that changes my interpretation of the whole team result