website statistics

Men's Road Cycling UCI World Tour 2023 (Giro d'Italia) Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

1 hour ago, Monzanator said:

I hardly see the Giro news out there so guess this edition is overshadowed by weather and otherwise boring?

It's whomever wins the ITT wins the whole thing or is there a real mountain still possible? :mumble:

There’s been a lot of withdrawals for various reasons. Covid took one of the main favorites out.

In general, I feel like the Giro has been the “weakest” of the grand tours for last few years. It just doesn’t seem to get the riders and attention that the Tour and Vuelta do, in my opinion.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

32 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

There’s been a lot of withdrawals for various reasons. Covid took one of the main favorites out.

In general, I feel like the Giro has been the “weakest” of the grand tours for last few years. It just doesn’t seem to get the riders and attention that the Tour and Vuelta do, in my opinion.

I believe it happened because Belgium & Netherlands have found new front page stars (vd Poel, van Aert, Evenepoel) and this means spring is suddenly about the one-day classics again rather than Giro. This is my amateur theory anyway, Giro gets more attention when the supposed faces of the cycling don't come from the one-day classics backyard (Benelux). And yes, I know Evenepoel took part in the Giro and was the one who pulled out but maybe he kinda wants to add to the resume to distance himself above the vd Poel vs van Aert rivalry).