website statistics

Summer Olympic Games 2036 Bid Process

hckošice

I agree that Europe should host 2036, a 16 years gap for European Summer Games would be unprecedented. The issue is that the current economical crisis will hit Europe the hardest out of all the regions, so... yeah, maybe you shouldn't expect Europe to host any Olympic Games or FIFA World Cups soon beyond the ones we already have (Paris 2024 and Milano Cortina 2026). 

Dark times are ahead of Europe in our near future, so I am expecting that IOC and FIFA won't be eager to pick the continent. I think the 2030 FIFA World Cup will go to Saudi Arabia (plus Greece and Egypt, but we all know which country has all the money out of the three), and the 2036 Summer Games will go to Asia (Seoul or China again, maaaaybe India). 

Personally I would pick Berlin for SOG 2036 (I don't care how that would look historically, it's been 100 years.), and Spain-Portugal for the 2030 World Cup. But Germany and Spain will probably be busy saving their country (and the EU) for the terrible recession we are facing than to lobby for these events at IOC and FIFA.

Edited by Vektor

8 hours ago, Vektor said:

I agree that Europe should host 2036, a 16 years gap for European Summer Games would be unprecedented. The issue is that the current economical crisis will hit Europe the hardest out of all the regions, so... yeah, maybe you shouldn't expect Europe to host any Olympic Games or FIFA World Cups soon beyond the ones we already have (Paris 2024 and Milano Cortina 2026). 

Dark times are ahead of Europe in our near future, so I am expecting that IOC and FIFA won't be eager to pick the continent. I think the 2030 FIFA World Cup will go to Saudi Arabia (plus Greece and Egypt, but we all know which country has all the money out of the three), and the 2036 Summer Games will go to Asia (Seoul or China again, maaaaybe India). 

Personally I would pick Berlin for SOG 2036 (I don't care how that would look historically, it's been 100 years.), and Spain-Portugal for the 2030 World Cup. But Germany and Spain will probably be busy saving their country (and the EU) for the terrible recession we are facing than to lobby for these events at IOC and FIFA.

Regarding the 2030 World Cup, Spain and Portugal have been "forced" by UEFA to add Ukraine to the project, so I guess that at this point they will push to the end.

14 hours ago, Cobi said:

Regarding the 2030 World Cup, Spain and Portugal have been "forced" by UEFA to add Ukraine to the project, so I guess that at this point they will push to the end.

The inclusion of Ukraine feels like a desperate move for me, UEFA probably knows that they are likely losing to Saudi Arabia. Most of Asia and Africa will vote for Saudi Arabia and Egypt, it will be incredibly hard for UEFA to win against that, especially when they might even steal some European votes with the help of Greece being part of this intercontinental bid. 

I just read that if next year European Games will be successfull then :POL will want bid for hosting 2036 Games, one of arguments is that in that year we will be in better economic situation than Barcelona was in 1992 and Athens in 2004 :lol:

1 hour ago, rybak said:

I just read that if next year European Games will be successfull then :POL will want bid for hosting 2036 Games, one of arguments is that in that year we will be in better economic situation than Barcelona was in 1992 and Athens in 2004 :lol:

Warsaw + Poznań (Rowing/Cayak) and Gdańsk/Sopot (sailing) - will be perfect host.

So many "potential host". But I think we should all know that if Seoul wants this, they will easily win 2036 SOG without any contest just like how Brisbane did. It's a no brainer, IOC will take the easiest, savest route, and that is going to be Seoul. The only other option is Berlin, but I kinda doubt that the Germans will take that bid seriously. But if that happens, I think IOC will just pull another Paris/LA and reward both Seoul and Berlin with 2036 and 2040. 

IOC will rotate the Summer Games between the same couple of wealthy countries until the end of time, unless none of them will bid

:USA  :CHN  :GBR  :FRA  :GER  :JPN  :KOR  :AUS 

Plus maybe :ESP  at some point and hopefully :IND  some day. The rest will likely never host a modern Summer Games.

Edited by Vektor

Yeah, unless the IOC wants to allow smaller venues it's going to be very difficult for anyone, but the most wealthy nations to host.

You can probably add :CAN and :ITA to the short list. :RUS will join once they are no longer a pariah. Still, not even a dozen nations capable of hosting. If you really want to, you could add :BRA in the maybe pile since they have some of the venues...

Istanbul can match any big venues, that Korea or Australia can bring for example. Heck even Poland could match them, if that is people's concerns. Temporary stands have become common and they can be added almost everywhere to increase the capacity. 

Turkey, Poland, Hungary, Mexico, Egypt will be such a breath of fresh air from the rotating door of same old, same old boring stuff. 

5 hours ago, Adriano said:

Warsaw + Poznań (Rowing/Cayak) and Gdańsk/Sopot (sailing) - will be perfect host.

Warsaw would need to have at least two if not three more halls for indoor sports, Torwar would need to be renovated, Skra stadium could be finally renovated as well, beacause it's shame that Poland, such good nation in European athletics doesn't have any appropriate for big events athletics stadium in capital city...

Also new tennis center and swimming pool should be build too, as Warszwianka's tennis courts aren't enough big and new, same about current swimming pool in the complex, it could be used for water polo, diving and artistic swimming, but not in general swimming. 

For all of this the city wouldn't have funds at all, so, I sadly don't see chance to Olympics being held in Poland, even though it would take place 14 years from now.