website statistics

Boxing at the European Games 2023 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

• 5 months later...

Paris 2024 qualification/ European Games medal predictions.

The draw was unseeded so unsurprisingly their are some strange and uneven draws. Olympic qualifiers are top 4 in all weights except W75, M51, M92 and M92+ where it is top 2. Also this is boxing so these predicitons will not be even close to accurate.

W50kg

Gold-Cakiroglu :TUR, Silver- Kob :UKR, Bronze- Fuertes Fernandez :ESP, Sorrentino :ITA.

Other Olympic calibre boxers- Chukanova :BUL, Jade Rezstan :GBR, Moorehouse :IRL, Lkhadiri :FRA and maybe Kaivo Oja :FIN.

The deepest part of the draw is the bottom with Kob, Moorehouse Lkhadiri and Kaivo Oja all competing for one spot. Tetyana Kob doesn't have recent wins against the other 3 though. Fuertes got an easy draw so should qualify almost by default, Sorrentino vs Jade Resztan might be interesting but probably won't be and Cakiroglu is unlikely to be closely challenged by anybody.

W54kg

Gold- Taylor Davison :GBR, Silver- Akbas :TUR, Bronze- Kovalchuk :UKR , Drabik :POL.

Other Olympic calibre boxers- Gojkovic :MNE,Petrova :BUL, Lehane :IRL, Perijoc :ROU, Mancini :FRA

Picking Taylor Davison for gold is almost solely based on that she beat Kovalchuk earlier this year and they will likely meet in the semis, She does have to go through Gojkovic first though which won't be gauranteed. This is a new Olympic weight and medals have been all over the place from one competition to the next so this might be the most difficult womens weight to predict. I don't rate Akbas but she was somehow world champ in 2022. How much you want to put that down to the world champs being in Turkey is up to you. I'm not sure if she will lose her first fight to a below average opponent or win. Drabik is likely going to meet one hit wonder 2022 world silver medallist Perijoc in her quarter final. i'll say home advantage gets it done for her. I would love to pick Lehane here but well she has to go through Kovalchuk or Petrova and I don't think that is happening.

W57kg

Gold- Testa :ITA, Silver- Walsh :IRL, Bronze- Staneva :BUL, Zidani :FRA.

Other Olympic calibre boxers- Nechita :ROU, Viitannen :FIN, Glynn:GBR

Featherweight is not a very strong weight in Europe compared to most of the womens weightclasses.  Walsh and Zidani both got straightforward draws so should qualify. Staneva having to go through Nechita and Vitannen isn't an ideal draw but should comfortably qualify and Testa is well world champion. This might be the most confident I will be in any of these predictions in terms of the qualifiers. I thought Walsh deserved to beat Testa at last years Europeans but didn't get the decision and Testa has won these more often than not historically.

W60kg

Gold- Harrington :IRL, Silver- Shadrina :SRB, Bronze- Whitwell :GBR, Ozem :TUR.

Other Olympic calibre boxers- Alexiusson :SWE, Bernardova :CZE, Mossely :FRA, Sadiku :KOS, Heijnen :NED, Mesiano :ITA

Unfortunate draw for Alexiusson and Bernardova as they both could have qualified if Kellie Harrington wasn't in the same part of the draw. The Whitwell Mossely, Sadiku, Heijnen part of the draw is loaded but I think Whitwell is the best boxer. A consequence of the top of the draw being so strong is that the bottom is very weak. I don't like any of Ozem, Okhrei :UKR or Starvoitova :LTU but one probably has to qualify. Shadrina isn't that good but should be able to beat Mesiano or Marin:ROU and Beram:CRO.

W66kg

Gold- Broadhurst :IRL, Silver- Deriuew :BEL, Bronze- Bova :UKR, Surmeneli :TUR.

Other Olympic calibre boxers- Eccles :GBR, Rygielska :POL, Von Berge :GER.

This isn't the strongest weight class and boy is this draw unevenly distributed. I honestly hadn't heard of Deriuew before this draw and yet she may well make the final. I'm surprised Bova got selected over Lysenko but her only competition here is Angelsen :NOR for a qualification spot. Derieuw may well meet Sonvico :FRA in her quarter final. Broadhurst got a tricky draw with Matovic :SRB and a likely quarter final with Eccles but should win. Surmeneli was world champ in 2022 and while she will need to be both of last years European finalists including Rygielska who beat her last year, I think she will come through though. I think Amy Broadhurst might be the best pound for pound female amateur boxer in the world right now but she is fighting up from her natural lightweight. She won Strandja so should start as one of the favourites here but Eccles, Surmeneli and Rygielska might just be too big for her.

W75kg

Gold- O'Rourke :IRL, Silver- Davis:GBR, Bronze (Won't qualify)- Stavridou :GRE, Isildar :TUR.

Other Olympic calibre boxers- Michel :FRA, Wojcik :POL, Hofstad :NOR, Chernokolenko :UKR, Stonkute :LTU, Hovsepyan :ARM, Holgersson :SWE, Ngamba :IOC. This is too many but they are all at a very similar level. All 10 of them. A fair few of them will ultimatley qualify though.

O'Rourke got a tough draw here but is a class above all of the other boxers here. It's a pity there is another class above her with the best in the world. Davis fell on the good side of the draw with Michel her biggest competition for that qualifying spot. Every other boxer I listed apart from Stavridou obviously is on the bottom side of the draw.

And now for the men.

M51kg

Gold- Bennama :FRA, Silver- Molina :ESP, Bronze (Won't qualify)-  MacDonald :GBR, Serra :ITA.

Other Olympic calibre boxers- Asenov :BUL, Alekhverdovi :GEO, Zamotaev :UKR, Ibrahim :GER, Gumus :TUR

MacDonald got a tough draw here withe Ibrahim followed by Ametovic :SRB and then gets Bennama in the semis. Bennama has to go through Alekhverdovi, Asenov and MacDonald. Molina has a fairly straightforward path although his toughest fight before the final will likely be Zamotaev or Gumus in the quarter final.

M57kg

Gold- Rustamov :AZE, Silver- Gomstyan :GEO, Bronze- Bazeyan :ARM, Ustoroi :BEL

Other Olympic calibre boxers- Ibanez Diaz :BUL, Gallagher :IRL, Yildirim :GER,  Jensen :DEN, Ciftci :TUR, Quilos Brotons :ESP.

Featherweight lacks world class European talent but it makes up for it with a ton of depth. A bunch of the top nations had very tough decisions between their top boxers. Bazeyan will likely face the winner of Diaz vs Gallagher in his quarter final. Ibanez Diaz has weird pedigree, looks borderline unbeatable consistently at strandja yet can barely win outside of Bulgaria. Rustamov only needs to go through Yildirim to qualify. Ustoroi is reigning European champion but is a flawed boxer Jensen or Dryden :GBR will fancy their chances against him. Gomstyan is reigning European at 60 kg. His quarter final against Ciftci or Quilos Brotons should be fairly entertaining.

M63.5kg

Gold- Oumiha :FRA, Silver- Guruli :GEO, Bronze- Clancy :IRL, Hovhannisyan :ARM.

Other Olympic calibre boxers- Khartysz :UKR, Lynch :GBR, Rosenov :BUL.

Ireland didn't get many good draws here but this one is perfect. Clancy needs to take advantage. Oumiha Khartysz will be one of the better fights here but will take place in the last 16. Lynch Guruli should also be a good fight on the other side of the draw assuming he beats Rosenov. That is likely the toughest part of the draw. The easiest is definitively the bottom where Hovhannisyan is not very good but may well medal. Anyone know why Bachkov isn't here?

M71kg

Gold- Zakherieiev :UKR, Silver- Abbasov :SRB, Bronze- Madiev :GEO, Terteryan :DEN.

Other Olympic calibre boxers- Madoyan:ARM, D Walsh :IRL, Schachidov :GER, Akbar :GBR, Durkacz :POL, Erdemir :TUR.

I have refrained from making comments on the Irish selection but this one was egregious. We left Olympic medallist and one of the best boxers in the world at light-middleweight Aidan Walsh at home to take a man in Dean Walsh (no relation) whose international record is lets say patchy at best. Anyway he had a very close fight with Terteryan at Strandja who he needs to go through now to medal. Madiev got a very straightforward draw and to be honest Abbasov's isn't all that difficult either. The depth of talent here is at the bottom of the draw with Zakherieiev, Schachidov, Akbar, Durkacz and Erdemir. Zakherieiev couldn't really have gotten a tougher draw and despite being a former world champ he is still very inexperienced. Akbar beat him at Europeans last year but his current form means he isn't likely to survive long enough to get to that potential quarter final fight.

M80kg

Gold-Khyzniak :UKR, Silver- Veocic :CRO, Bronze- Jalidov :ESP, Hakobyan :ARM.

Other Olympic calibre boxers- Cavallaro :ITA, Kushitashvili :GEO, Bevan :GBR, Cassidy :IRL.

Another weight class with a very uneven draw. Jalidov will face Cavallaro in the last 16 but that should basically be a quarter final. Khyzniak and Kushitashvili will box in the highlight of the opening round at any weight and will likely face the winner of Cassidy Bevan in his quarter final. Veocic is a very impressive young boxer and should make the final here. The bottom of the draw is a bunch of mediocre boxers the form of which is Hakobyan. I watched him a couple of times at strandja and he will turn every fight into an ugly scrap. Against this opposition that might just be enough.

M92kg

Gold- Mouhiidine :ITA, Silver- Manasyan :ARM, Bronze(Won't qualify)- Marley:IRL, Alfonso Dominguez :AZE.

Other Olympic calibre boxers- Nanitzanian :GRE, Reyes Pla :ESP, Williams :GBR.

Should be some good fights across the board here. Nanitzanian Marley and Reyes Manasyan should be good battles at the top of the draw in the last 16. World champ Mouhiidine gets a fairly good draw and won't be tested until his quarter final against Williams or Acar:TUR setting up what should be a great fight with Alfonso Dominguez in the semifinal for an Olympic spot.

M92+kg

Gold- Tiafack :GER, Silver- Chaloyan :ARM, Bronze (Won't qualify)- Lenzi :ITA, Abdullayev :AZE.

Other Olympic calibre boxers- Ghadfa Drissi :ESP, Orie :GBR, Shiha :NOR.

I'm not very knowledgable on super-heavyweight but sure look. Tiafack is a significant favourite here although his path to victory going through Aboudou Moindze :FRA and Gahdfa Drissi before a likely meeting with Abdullayev in the semis could certainly be more staightforward. Abudllayev himself has a tricky test against Begadze :GEO in the last 16. I'm not sure Lenzi will ultimately qualify for the Olympics but its between him and Hernandez Romero:BUL for a medal here. Chaloyan with likely face the winner of Shiha vs Orie in his quarter final and posible toughest fight before the final. The second qualifying spot after Tiafack is very much up for grabs here. 

Edited by Ogreman
Added 92+

naaa...it all depends only on how much the various federations payed to have there fighters proteced by the infamous bunch of corrupted judges (or someone does really think that stripping IBA of her role as the world federation would change anything in Olympic Boxing? poor naives).

my picks? :ITA will be robbed big time left and right because we weren't explicitly vs the IBA mafia (despite what they did to our boxers at the recent worlds).

I expect almost all fighters from :GBR:UKR:IRL:GEO (and :AZE for other reasons) to progress way more than they deserve.

actually, I expect :GBR and :UKR to qualify in all the weights they enter a just decent boxer.

would be really surprised if that doesn't happen.

In Tokyo we had only 1 male boxer, which was an all time low. I would be lying, if i don't expect much more this time. But it's boxing, so actual performance usually doesn't matter...

Some unfortunate draws, like today's match between our Cuban Ibanez and :IRL Gallagher, which a 1/2 caliber match, but one of them will lose in the first round.