website statistics

Biathlon 2019 - 2020 Discussion Thread

RobtheAggie

16 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

I'm sorry but nobody convinces me a 10k mass start is exciting and time trials are boring.

Time trials are getting removed due to TV demands. They want a short, sweet event with a fixed time zone. It has nothing to do with "fans being confused". TV doesn't want a three hour time window for a 50km time trial so they forced the mass start BS where you can turn away to show sth else at any stage. After all, you might as well show the start and the last 5-10 kms since it's all that matters. Nothing what happens between 1-45 kms really matters. You know the Norwegians will split the pack to 20-30 top athletes literally 5kms into the race anyway.

Nobody's trying to, but one thing is thinking so yourself, another is caring about others (once again, I don't disagree with you, but (apparently unlike you) I understand why others think otherwise.

7 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

Wrong. Even 50k time trial doesn't last 6 hours.

Like I've said, your generation is all about the short attention span BS. You have nothing to offer beyond that. If any sporting event lasts more than 30 minutes you are bitching about everything.

And if sports changes in the slightest you’re generation becomes a bunch of crying little bitches that preach the end of days! You complain about the younger generation constantly, without even trying what we suggest. I love distance events. The only sports I do are distance events. The 50km still exists, it’s just been improved.

The world has changed. People are busy and have less “free time”. It shouldn’t mean the end of distance events, but we have to find ways to cater to new fans.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Just now, Agger said:

Nobody's trying to, but one thing is thinking so yourself, another is caring about others (once again, I don't disagree with you, but (apparently unlike you) I understand why others think otherwise.

TV stations only think about themselves though and their precision time window. If you're so focused on what other think do you realize what's the real reason the 50k time trial was canned and hell, even 10km time trial looks like too long? They got rid of the skiathlon too.

Sprints are great for TV. Three minutes of racing and five minutes or TV commercials. No wonder TV loves this format so much.

What a fiesta :p

My two cents: if anyone removes the individual races from the programme, I'm coming after them with a weapon. 

Leave your super sprints and mass starts 60 for the IBU cup, thank you.

1 minute ago, Olympian1010 said:

And if sports changes in the slightest you’re generation becomes a bunch of crying little bitches that preach the end of days! You complain about the younger generation constantly, without even trying what we suggest. I love distance events. The only sports I do are distance events. The 50km still exists, it’s just been improved.

The world has changed. People are busy and have less “free time”. It shouldn’t mean the end of distance events, but we have to find ways to cater to new fans.

I can't wait for when you're old, federations start messing with the events you like and people go 'they improved it!'. And no, I'm not going to buy the "but I will be different, I will live with these changes and enjoy them! :)" young people so often seem to think :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Just now, Werloc said:

What a fiesta :p

My two cents: if anyone removes the individual races from the programme, I'm coming after them with a weapon. 

Leave your super sprints and mass starts 60 for the IBU cup, thank you.

And will that be an actual biathlon weapon, or the by then 'improved' biathlon weapon of choice...AKA a laser rifle? :evil: 

Edited by heywoodu

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

7 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

I don't watch half-pipe, slopestyle or big air. That's boring for me. I don't know how the scores are made and why one 360 elevation is better than the other 360 twist or whatever. It's just outdoor gymnastics on skis. Very boring. But it doesn't last over 30 minutes so the millenials love it :lol:

I do watch fucking cycling time trials or NASCAR races because they’re boring as fuck. They take way to much time out of my day, and there’s literally zero excitement. Same goes for most team sports.

Free Ski and Snowboard aren’t that difficult to understand by the way. One 360 is better than another 360 because the grab or method of rotation is more difficult. Aerials is literally outdoor winter gymnastics. It’s one of the best additions to the Winter Olympics. Comps take like 2-3 hours so...

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

10 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Slopestyle drags on forever though :p 

At least we see something different every run though.

Edited by Olympian1010

And no, get those mass start 60's out of the IBU Cup, thank you. And take the pursuits with you out of the IBU Cup. Sprints and individuals as much as possible there, since it's a qualifying level and one can't qualify through pursuits or mass start 60's or supersprint 85's or whatnot.