website statistics

Biathlon 2019 - 2020 Discussion Thread

RobtheAggie

1 minute ago, Olympian1010 said:

That’s why we should just do away with the gender relays like @Wumo said. Relays are the one discipline where there’s no excuse for not mixing men and women. It would also mean more room for events like the individual.

Why not go ahead and have a non-binary gender relay as well since it's 2020? :p

I've always wondered if the best women on tour would be able to crush our team's men. 

Just now, Olympian1010 said:

Laser rifles are also much cheaper from my understanding. Plus, you don’t have to pay for bullets or safe storage.

Much as lafer rifles would help minor nations and much as I obviously have an interest in what's good for minor nations, I'd be as strongly against laser rifle as I can possibly be.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

2 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Yeah in in cross-country skiing the big teams have 50 freaking pairs of skis per athlete and a whole science team of wax technicians behind them. I know it ain't gonna happen, but some sort of cap on the equipment budget would be nice.

That would definitely be a great solution to try. Limit the pairs of skis, limit the support team, etc.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

17 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

TV stations only think about themselves though and their precision time window. If you're so focused on what other think do you realize what's the real reason the 50k time trial was canned and hell, even 10km time trial looks like too long? They got rid of the skiathlon too.

Sprints are great for TV. Three minutes of racing and five minutes or TV commercials. No wonder TV loves this format so much.

TV stations cares about viewer numbers! :evil: Without viewers, no commercial interest ;)

We can afterall see other events getting longer and longer (at least more cycling races are broadcasted in full length though I'm certain that many would say that there's nothing more boring than a 220km long sprinters stage)

Even though Swedish biathlon experts are against getting rid of individual, they admit that it may be the most boring for many.

Of course there's commercial interest here, but still ignoring everybody who feels that competitions are complicated/uninteresting or even talking down to them doesn't really change anything!

2 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

But we don’t know any of that, until we were to try such a thing, we wouldn’t know the consequences. 

People hate that you can’t “game” the rules under VAR. 

And in Japan they make hamburgers from grass. You really want to eat grass and call it ham? :lol:

Just now, Werloc said:

This would be the best option then: anyone can field a relay of 4 athletes and they can choose whomever of their nation they want, no limits on men or women. Full equality :evil:

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

1 minute ago, Werloc said:

I've always wondered if the best women on tour would be able to crush our team's men. 

Didn’t say we had to do with gender-on-gender, I just said that there’s not point to having the gender relays.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

1 minute ago, Agger said:

TV stations cares about viewer numbers! :evil: Without viewers, no commercial interest ;)

We can afterall see other events getting longer and longer (at least more cycling races are broadcasted in full length though I'm certain that many would say that there's nothing more boring than a 220km long sprinters stage)

Even though Swedish biathlon experts are against getting rid of individual, they admit that it may be the most boring for many.

Of course there's commercial interest here, but still ignoring everybody who feels that competitions are complicated/uninteresting or even talking down to them doesn't really change anything!

For me individual is the most interesting race though. No counting the chickens like i.e. Eckhoff or Herrmann can afford to miss twice and still win by 30 secs. :p

1 minute ago, Monzanator said:

And in Japan they make hamburgers from grass. You really want to eat grass and call it ham? :lol:

What!? That’s such a Red Haering. That has nothing to do with what we were discussing.

2 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

This would be the best option then: anyone can field a relay of 4 athletes and they can choose whomever of their nation they want, no limits on men or women. Full equality :evil:

Not opposed to an Open relay. I think every sport will have to have an “open” class one day.