website statistics

Swimming at the Aquatics FINA World Championships 2019

vinipereira

Just now, Vektor said:

And I have seen how Western media treats every non-Western swimmer who dominates multiple events. I still can't forget how some sites started calling Hosszú a doper during Rio because they couldn't handle that a Hungarian swimmer was beating the world in many events. So let's just wait how CAS decides and keep this shit out of the competition. 

Sort of like allegations coming out of China because they couldn't help Phelps was beating them up badly. It really is something that goes back and forth and has always done so, the main difference is how one acts. Something quite like not shaking a hand, fine, that's not as bad as letting the testosteron bomb inside you explode whenever someone blinks.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

2 minutes ago, Vektor said:

And I have seen how Western media treats every non-Western swimmer who dominates multiple events. I still can't forget how some sites started calling Hosszú a doper during Rio because they couldn't handle that a Hungarian swimmer was beating the world in many events. So let's just wait how CAS decides and keep this shit out of the competition. 

Sun Yang is a convicted doper. This does not even compare. 

1 minute ago, Vektor said:

I have to agree with you that American media is unnecessarily suspicious of non-American swimmers (and athletes in general) doing well.  There's even rumblings on other sites about how suspicious the sudden rise of Canadian women is.  I find this interesting considering the US's history with performance enhancements, both caught and obvious yet allowed.  As a Canadian it was frustrating to watch Ben Johnson embarrass our nation while Carl Lewis had to remove syringes from his neck to get the gold (metaphorically, of course).  

However, Sun is a proven cheat and has a terrible attitude.  I only heard praise of Hosszu in 2016, the Canadian media was fawning over her.  I think Sun is a strange hill to die on to defend non-Western athletes.  Efinova has done much more to recover her image and has earned the, marginal, respect of her competitors again.  

10 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Sort of like allegations coming out of China because they couldn't help Phelps was beating them up badly. It really is something that goes back and forth and has always done so, the main difference is how one acts. Something quite like not shaking a hand, fine, that's not as bad as letting the testosteron bomb inside you explode whenever someone blinks.

Sun is an asshole, we have always known that about him. But everything that has happened here was initiated by Western swimmers. How Sun handled it makes no difference for me.

It's pretty simple: swimmers have absolutely no right to decide who is a cheater and who isn't, and have no right to protest at an event. There is a time and place for this outside the WCh. 

Edited by Vektor

4 minutes ago, Vektor said:

Sun is an asshole, we have always known that about him. But everything that has happened here was initiated by Western swimmers. How Sun handled it makes no difference for me.

It's pretty simple: swimmers have absolutely no right to decide who is a cheater and who isn't, and have no right to protest at an event. There is a time and place for this outside the WCh. 

And they have every right to not shake someone's hand. It's not an obligation to do so.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

7 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

And they have every right to not shake someone's hand. It's not an obligation to do so.

Let's not play this game, that's pretty much considered as an obligation at every sport event ever and refusing it is seen as a protest against the official result. 

Edited by Vektor

14 minutes ago, Vektor said:

Let's not play this game, that's pretty much considered as an obligation at every sport event ever and refusing it is seen as a protest against the official result

Again, I think you missed the point. The protest is not against the result per se, but instead against the fact Sun Yang was even allowed to compete.

It's like you know you failed a Math test, but instead of handing in the test so you will receive a low grade, you make a lump out of the paper and swallow it, and ask your teacher to give you an A grade because he's not able to correct the test anymore and he has to believe you scored high. Or ask the teacher to take the test another day.