website statistics

Summary of your NOC peformance in Beijing 2022 olympics

Okish (5/10)

The total of medals (14) was a bit inferior to the objective set (15 medals like in Sochi and Pyeongchang). The numbers of golds (5) was good though, and better that what I was expected.

Still, I have a virtual balance in my head, and the deceptions (Moguls M&W, Ski Cross, Julia Simon, Emilien Jacquelin, Jouve & Chanavat, Tessa Worley, Pinturault, Tess Ledeux kinda...)  weight much more than the good surprises (QFM overacheving, Braisaz, Clarey, Faivre...).

It didn't help that that last events after Braisaz gold was a small serie of crual disapointments (QFM last shooting on the MS & the alpine ski team eliminated by 0.02 sec.)

We didn't have huge disapointments (nor out-of-reality achievements). I'd say, the snowboard cross teams and their wax problems was the saddest point for me at these olympics, Clement Noel gold the most 'fuck yeah" point and Braisaz gold the most WTF one.

Edit: non-medal-wise, I also have a soft spot for Delphine Claudel performance in the 30km. It was the first time ever, that a french women seemed able to reach an olympic podium.

Edit2 : L'Equipe had 6 frontpages consecrated to the olympics (one for each gold, and the day of the opening)

Screenshot_8.jpg

How did your NOC perform in Beijing?

Pretty good for our expectations, Brazil is always improving in winter sports (even if it is happening in a very slow way)

Was it better than expected or was it worse?

I think it was better. Our only real expectation were TOP 15 in Skeleton and TOP 20 in Bobsled and we got both of them

What were the ups and downs, what were the highlights, what were the biggest disappointments?

Highlights - Nicole 13th in Skeleton, 4-man 20th in Bobsled and Manex Silva in Cross Country with the best FIS points achieved by a Brazilian.

Downs - Of course what happened to Bruna before the games is on the top. Also, Michel Macedo who didn't complete the second run in Slalom, he could get a TOP 30, and Sabrina Cass in Moguls, I was expecting a final at least.

What were the most emotional events for you? Who made a suprisingly good result?

The interview from Sabrina representing Brazil and Edson Bindilatti after his last run in Bobsled.

I hope that in Italy, Brazilian team will be bigger, and present in more sports. We have very good prospects in different sports that we didn't participate in these games. And also improve our results, getting the best performance in a Winter Olympics or even getting a medal.

2 hours ago, rafalgorka said:

my reaction to this question is :rofl::rofl:

we had 3 athletes, one of them tested positive for doping, another one tested positive for COVID and the last one scored a DNF. that summarizes our performance in winter sports. :facepalm:

I follow winter sports for a bit less than 2 decades (thanks to Eurosport) and I always hoped one day some of them develop in my country but I just know it will never happen. nobody takes wintersports serious here. we had TV coverage this year. mostly because there was nothing else to show in the morning/afternoon but that's it. absolutely no coverage in news websites. newspapers etc (except that our flag bearer doping scandal)

It was the first games since 2006 that weren't even broadcasted on local tv. I think that says it all about the expectations. 

I still could watch everything since a mexican company has rights for latam and streams everything on YT (olympics free in YT, a dream for anyone here, I know).  

Our best performance was a 24th place in Luge, and the athlete doesn't even live in Argentina.

For winter athletes here currently there's no money and no hope of getting better. We are barely able to sustain amateur summer sports right now, imagine winter. 

:wGBR:

One word: disappointing.

We came off the back of two games with five medals, and finished Beijing with just two, both courtesy of our curling teams. Nonetheless, there are some big positives, but also many disappointments, and a few worrying scenarios ahead of Milan.

Positives:

• Women's Curling: I've followed Eve Muirhead's squad since 2014 and it was so great to see her finally get the gold. So deserved, and she's always seemed like a great person on and off the rink.
  • Men's Curling: although they (just) lost gold, they showed real potential, topping the group stages and beating defending champions USA in the semi-finals. Bruce Mouat's squad is young, and they should build over the next 4yrs.
  • Makayla Gerken-Schofield (moguls): this result has kind of been neglected by the British media, but we finished 8th in a moguls event - a discipline in which we didn't even have a World Cup team 4yrs ago. Along with her sister Leonie and brother Thomas (didn't qualify for Beijing due to injury, but had a WC podium 2yrs ago), they could build a really strong team that could contend for medals soon.
  • Kirsty Muir (freeski): one of our youngest Winter Olympians ever, with two top-10s at the age of 17. She was really strong in big air, struggled a bit in slopestyle but definitely has the talent to become a leading medal contender by Milan.
  • Cornelius Kersten (speed skating): like the moguls squad, the significance of this result has been understated - Britain's best long track speed skating result since 1964. Kersten has been rapidly improving, as has teammate Ellia Smeding, despite being completely self-funded. Hopefully the speed skating team will get UK Sport funding now.

Disappointments (warning, there's a lot):

• Alpine Skiing: our team of four went in with high expectations but I felt a bit underwhelmed. Ryding went in as a World Cup winner but the race was so wide open; 13th was a disappointment, I expected a top 10. Teammate Billy Major DNFed when he could've contended for the top 20. Charlie Guest was top 15 after run 1 and could've struck for maybe even top 10, but an error left her 23rd. Hard to judge Alex Tilley's performance as this was her first race back since injury, so can't really say; think her result was good given the circumstances.
  • Bobsleigh: the epitome of why Britain's winter sports funding system is so messed up. The men's teams had funding removed, then had an amazing World Cup season and were a leading medal contender. But lack of funding meant their equipment couldn't contend with the Germans and a few errors (crash in two-man) meant they couldn't contend. Hall is 31 and I genuinely fear for the future of British bobsleigh if he retires.
  • CC Skiing: high expectations after Musgrave's shock 6th in 2018, but no top 10s this time around. Musgrave looked good in the 50k and 12th was good; the fact his performances (two top 20s) were disappointing says a lot about advancements in British nordic skiing. Our sprint skiers, Clugnet & Young, also disappointed, but I think they were hampered by COVID in January, which I imagine has a major impact on performance in a sport like this.
  • Freestyle Skiing: outside of the two aforementioned cases, WTF happened? Ollie Davies reached the ski cross big final in the World Championships in 2021, but couldn't get out of the first round. We were really hampered by James Woods & Izzy Atkin not being able to compete due to injuries. Hopefully we can find some new young talent, alongside Muir and the Gerken-Schofields.
  • Skeleton: what a difference four years makes... 3 medals in 2018, not even a top 10 this time around. We've fallen wayyy behind on the technology, I think this might be the end of Britain's golden spell in skeleton racing.
  • Snowboarding: Charlotte Bankes was our best chance of gold before these games but, in a sport like snowboard cross, you can't count on anything, as she proved by going out in the QFs. Katie Ormerod was happy just to finally get that Olympic start but, based on her WC performances prior to the games, her results were surprisingly low.

Overall, thank God the curlers saved the day. I thought after week 1 that we'd have a first medalless games in 30 years. British winter sports needs a funding overhaul - we've relied on a very narrow base of sports for our recent success, particularly skeleton & curling, which have provided 12 of our 16 medals this century. If Britain wants consistently strong results like 2014 & 2018, we need to widen our base, which slowly seems to be happening with sports like speed skating & moguls. Hopefully Milan Cortina 2026 will be better - the likes of Muir, Mouat, Gerken-Schofield, etc. should be reaching their peaks, whilst new talents like snowboarder Mia Brookes emerge.

Well, like other Latin American users I wasn’t expecting a medal but rather a dignified performance of Mexican athletes.

I really enjoyed Donovan’s skate, particularly that he achieved a PB, and truly believe he can achieve more in the next Olympic cycle now that he has gained more attention from bigger potential sponsors.

The other members of our delegation were there to finish their races, and they all did, so great for them and hope they serve as models for some young people here that want to emulate and surpass their performances.

All in all, I think our NOC’s cartoon sums up, the pride I feel on this delegation:

849597A4-3342-4F4B-B2AF-D6D43B0EFBD1.jpeg

:CAN Canada

Overall, a bit disappointing. 26 total medals is a good result. 4 gold medals was very disappointing. We already had very few gold medal chances heading into these games and many of them couldn't deliver.

Was it better than expected or was it worse?

As said above, the total medals were around as expected, maybe a bit above expectations. The 4 golds were well below expectations (yes, I know, us Canadians are spoiled). We had 11 gold medals in Pyeongchang. I was expecting around 6-7 but even that was too optimistic this time.

What were the ups and downs, what were the highlights, what were the biggest disappointments?

Pros:

• Women's hockey team
  • Isabelle Weidemann (Speed Skating): 1 gold, 1 silver 1 bronze
  • Steven Dubois (Short Track): also 1 gold, 1 silver 1 bronze
  • Max Parrot (Snowboarding): 1 gold and 1 bronze after being diagnosed with Hodgkin's Lymphoma in 2018
  • Charles Hamelin (Short Track) with a gold medal in his last olympic race
  • Jack Crawford (Alpine Skiing) with a bronze medal and 4th and 6th place finishes in other events
  • Snowboard cross team winning 3 medals for the Canadian team
  • Ivanie Blondin and Laurent Dubreuil (Speed Skating) rebounding after disappointing first few races
  • Good overall performances by the biathlon and cross-country skiing teams, especially from the men

Cons:

• Curling; :facepalm:What a disaster
  • Men's hockey team; even without NHL players, I still expected more from them; first time since 2006 to not make the semifinals
  • Ted-Jan Bloemen (not even close to his best at these games)
  • Women's short track team
  • Freestyle skiing in team (with a few exceptions); first time not winning a gold medal since 2002
  • Figure skating team (also with a few exceptions); first time not winning a medal since 1980.

I probably forgot some things so other Canadians feel free to say something.

What were the most emotional events for you? Who made a suprisingly good result?

Never in my life did I expect to see a Canadian medal in ski jumping. Got emotional listening to the play-by-play call and seeing the ski jumpers reactions.  Justine Dufour-Lapointe and Kim Boutin also had emotional interviews after not having the best results. I'm probably forgetting some others. Also got emotional seeing the women's hockey team celebrating their gold medal.

For :CAN: overall a disappointment, mostly because of the freakishly low gold medal count (lowest since Lillehammer, where there were significantly less events in sports Canada is good at). Though, of course, given how big the Canadian delegation is we really have to look at it sport by sport.

• Alpine skiing: meet expectations. James Crawford had A+ Olympics across the board and won a medal, though of course the combined is the least prestigious podium on offer. The rest of the team had fairly average results.
  • Biathlon: exceeded expectations. The women's team had bad results, but the men's team had their best ever individual and relay finish and qualified four starters for the pursuit and three starters for the mass start. No medal, but that doesn't deter from how well Canada did in biathlon at these Olympics.
  • Bobsleigh: bellow expectations. The medal count itself isn't bad, and winning a gold was always going to be difficult. The main thing that made these Olympics disappointing is some of the non-medal performances (Kripps in the two-man, Austin in both his events, Appiah having some horror runs, Lotholz).
  • Cross country skiing: above expectations. Cyr and Ritchie finishing fifth in the men's team sprint was a very promising result.
  • Curling: disaster.
  • Figure skating: bellow expectations. Schizas and Lajoie/Lagha are promising, and seeing Messing skate is always a delight. But in terms of results it was very meh, and expectations were not high. We are likely getting a team medal that is, frankly, unearned.
  • Freestyle skiing: bellow expectations, bordering on disaster. First time without a gold medal since 2002, when there were 4 events, compared to 13 now. Only two real bright spots: the very young aerials team performing well, and Cassie Sharpe putting on a heroic performance a year after what should have been a career-ending injury, while the other Canadians in the women's ski half-pipe also did as well as could be expected. I'll also give the women's ski cross team some kudos because they meet expectations. Everything else went badly. Most alarming is our moguls team which is both old and shallow (it's basically Kingsbury, who is ancient by moguls standard, and nobody else).
  • Ice hockey: meet expectations. Women's won and the men did okay given the talent pool available.
  • Luge: meet expectations. The young singles sliders look promising, but the team was obviously in a rebuild phase.
  • Short track speed skating: meet expectations. The women's team was disappointing, but the men winning the relay with relative ease makes up for basically all the other disappointments.
  • Skeleton: meet expectations. A top 20 is actually a good result on the men's side (as pathetic as that is), and Rahneva on the women's side did very well, the only reason it felt disappointing is that she would have won an unexpected medal if not for a disastrous second run.
  • Ski jumping: literally salvaged the entire Olympics.
  • Snowboarding: meet expectations.
  • Speed skating: bellow expectations, mostly because of disappointing results on the men's side. That being said, Laurent Dubreuil's silver medal in the 1000m is going to be one of the few moments at these Olympics that will be added to Canadian sporting folklore.

Highlights:

• Winning bronze in ski jumping.
  • Winning the men's 5000m short track relay, in what is Charles Hamelin's final Olympic race.
  • Women's hockey.

Biggest disappointments:

• Every curling match I watched.
  • Mikaël Kingsbury losing the men's moguls event.
  • The women's short track team.

Laurent Dubreuil coming back to win silver in the 1000m after a disappointing 500m. Max Parrot winning a gold medal after surviving his battle with cancer. Cassie Sharpe winning silver after her injury.

5 hours ago, LDOG said:

It was the first games since 2006 that weren't even broadcasted on local tv. I think that says it all about the expectations. 

I still could watch everything since a mexican company has rights for latam and streams everything on YT (olympics free in YT, a dream for anyone here, I know).  

Our best performance was a 24th place in Luge, and the athlete doesn't even live in Argentina.

For winter athletes here currently there's no money and no hope of getting better. We are barely able to sustain amateur summer sports right now, imagine winter. 

Pretty much this. I'll add as the main highlight Fran Baruzzi reaching two top 30s in alpine skiing, best performance ever for a female in the sport and best overall in 42 years.