website statistics

Summer Olympic Games Los Angeles 2028 Sports Programme

2 hours ago, heywoodu said:

Isn't Olympic flag football a similar thing as men's football in terms of how weird it is to have it at the Olympics? Men's football is a junior tournament, which obviously shouldn't be the case at the Olympics, whereas flag football seems like the amateur rip-off of the real 'American football'? :p 

Oh well, as long as it doesn't cost other sports too much, it would be kind of fun to see two sports that are super obscure in most of the world but insanely popular in a very specific part of the world, it will add a nice bit of contrast :d 

Is Flag Football popular anywhere? I really know very little about this sport. At least cricket is seldom shown at the BBC.

2 minutes ago, AsensioWillemsen said:

Is Flag Football popular anywhere? I really know very little about this sport. At least cricket is seldom shown at the BBC.

As a spectator sport? No. As a participation sport it is fairly popular in North America.

On 9/6/2023 at 6:18 PM, hckošice said:

Yeah, but not going to fall in this trap again, so I am not going to post anything in this topic :p

I was already "educated" here quite hardly last year that this is not cricket as I always thought, so it was enough for me :p

1200px-Modern_croquet_equipment.JPG

I think I have tried to help you (or someone else) in the past. Croquet with a Q is played by Queen of Hearts. Cricket with an I is played by Indians. 

2 hours ago, AsensioWillemsen said:

The main reason to include it is Indian appeal. Which is.. okay I guess. I mean, India is a pretty large market. But it is a team sport and these eat quota. And I don't know how one-sided it is in terms of medaling, which is one of the problems I have with baseball, aside from it boring me to death.

There was a newspaper report earlier this year that suggested Indian payment for TV rights could rise from $12,000,000 to $200,000,000 if cricket was included in the Olympics

I don't mind if Cricket is included but it will be very interesting to see how it plays politically. England will become GB, The West Indies will be split up. Assuming 8 teams, would they give 2 slots to Oceania, 3 to Asia, 1 to Europe, 1 to Americas and 1 to Africa?

Possibly one to each with the rest "world" qualifiers? 

If there's 6 nations, there'll be huge cricketing nations missing out

14 minutes ago, dodge said:

I don't mind if Cricket is included but it will be very interesting to see how it plays politically. England will become GB, The West Indies will be split up. Assuming 8 teams, would they give 2 slots to Oceania, 3 to Asia, 1 to Europe, 1 to Americas and 1 to Africa?

Possibly one to each with the rest "world" qualifiers? 

If there's 6 nations, there'll be huge cricketing nations missing out

England will become GBR, which stymies Scotland

The West Indies breaks into its islands, and normally there's one place kept aside for them.

2 Slots to Oceania is generous. ! sot and 1 final qualifier would be more likely

26 minutes ago, Dragon said:

There was a newspaper report earlier this year that suggested Indian payment for TV rights could rise from $12,000,000 to $200,000,000 if cricket was included in the Olympics

22 minutes ago, mpjmcevoy said:

England will become GBR, which stymies Scotland

The West Indies breaks into its islands, and normally there's one place kept aside for them.

2 Slots to Oceania is generous. ! sot and 1 final qualifier would be more likely

I've gone for this.

#1 Hosts (Providing they meet a certain standard, maybe top 30 in the world?)

#2 World Champions

#3 Winners of Asian qualifying tournament

#4 Winners of Oceanian qualifier

#5 Winners of joint Euro-Africa qualifier

#6 Winners of Pan-American qualifier

#7 and #8 Finalists in last chance global qualifier