website statistics

Summer Olympic Games Paris 2024 Team Sizes

Kind of a stupid post and I hope nobody gets ofended by it, but... as a basque person I always dream... What would our National Team for the games be if we where independent? Well, this is the answer.

:BAS (Fictional) BASQUE TEAM FOR PARIS 2024 :BAS 

ATHLETICS - 2m+2w

· Asier Martínez (110 hurdles)

· John Cabang (110 hurdles)

· Tessy Ebosele (Long Jump)

· Majida Mayouf (Marathon)

BADMINTON - 1w

· Clara Azurmendi (Women's singles)

She wont be going to Paris cause ESP has an athlete before her at the ranking, but she's in qualifying position.

BOXING - 1m

· Oier Ibarretxe (-63.5kg)

CANOE SLALOM - 1m+2w

· Pau Echaniz (K1 & cross)

· Miren Lazcano (C1 & cross)

· Maialen Chourraut (K1 & cross)

CANOE SPRINT - 1w

· Begoña Lazkano (K1 500m)

CYCLING - 2m+1w

· Oier Lazkano (Road & TT)

· Alex Aramburu (Road)

· Ane Santesteban (Road & TT)

GOLF - 2M+1W

· Jon Rham

· Adrián Otaegi

· Carlota Ciganda

Adrián wont be in Paris due to having other spaniards in front of him, but he's in qualifying places.

JUDO - 1W

· Ariane Toro (-52kg)

ROWING - 1w

· Virginia Díaz (Women's Skiff)

SKATE - 1M+1W

· Alain Kortabitarte (Men's Park)

· Naia Laso (Women's Park)

SURFING - 2M+2W

· Andy Criere

· Joan Duru

· Nadia Erostarbe

· Janire González-Etxabarri

SWIMMING - 1M+1W

· Jon Osa (100m backstroke)

· Nahia Garrido (200m backstroke)

We have no standars so I guess that this two would be our Universality quota recipients.

TAEKWONDO - 1M

· Jon Andoni Cintado (-80kg)

He wont be in the games cause Spain couldnt send anymore athletes to the final qualifier. But if he could compete, I think he qualifies.

TOTAL: 27 ATHLETES (13 men + 14 women)

19 of those would be in Paris representing :ESP, one representing :FRA, one representing :PHI and six that don't get to go.

Other :BAS athletes that would had slim chances to qualify: 

ATHLETICS: Abdelaziz Merzoughi, a moroccoan inmigrant, live his young years until he was over 18 in a center on the basque country. He cretidts the start of his running career thanks to a basque coach. He probably would be representing the basque country. He has the olympic standar for the Men's Marathon.

BASKER 3X3: Both France and Spain have a basque athlete in their olympic teams. Qualifying is hard but with the level of some basque 5x5 players, not impossible.

CANOE SPRINT: Iñigo Peña in men's K1 1000

CANOE SLALOM: Men's C1 quota.

CYCLING: A third mal quota or a second women's quota could perfectly happend, but I went prudent.

ROWING: nother boat through the European qualifier, due to some of our rowers level, it could happend.

TAEKWONDO: Jone Magdaleno in -62kg

& other posible athletes from the basque diaspora round the world.

MEDAL CHANCES?

Well, we have them: Jon Rham in Golf, Ariane Toro in Judo, the Slalom team and sligth chances for the surfers and Naia Laso in skate.

My prediction? 0 medals, sadly.

Edited by Jur

Our :GRE Macedonian team:

Athletics:

Miltiadis Tentoglou (men's long jump)

Polyniki Emmanouilidou (women's 100m)

Elina Tzengko (women's javelin throw)

Basketball:

Kostas Mitoglou (men's team)

Kostas Papanikolaou (men's team)

I don't think we would qualify but there are some on our reserve team like Kouzeloglou and Tanoulis and also the injured Sloukas and Papapetrou who missed OQT and will likely miss the Olympics now.

Rowing:

Petros Gkaidatzis (men's lightweight double sculls - maybe in single sculls or with a new partner?)

Evangelia Anastasiadou and Christina Bourmpou (women's pair)

Zoi Fitsiou (women's lightweight double sculls - maybe in single sculls or with a new partner?)

Shooting:

Anna Korakaki (women's 10m air pistol, women's 25m pistol)

Christina Moschi (women's 10m air pistol)

Swimming:

Apostolos Siskos (men's 200m backstroke)

*Also I guess we would be allowed a woman with a universality quota which would probably be either Maria Drasidou or Despina Pyrili.

Water Polo:

Dimitrios Nikolaidis (men's team)

Angelos Vlachopoulos (men's team)

Eleftheria Plevritou (women's team)

Margarita Plevritou (women's team)

Vasiliki Plevritou (women's team)

Again, I'm not sure if we would qualify in these events, though I think we'd have a better chance in both water polo events than the basketball team.

Wrestling:

Georgios Kougioumtsidis (men's freestyle -74kg)

Also some others that probably would've made it:

Artistic Swimming:

We could've had a duet probably, many of our artistic swimmers are from Thessaloniki and Serres anyways, and actually Evangelia Platanioti who is part of Greece's duet in Paris has a mother from Serres so she could've chosen to represent our region perhaps :p

Athletics:

Konstantinos Zaltos (men's hammer throw) - He was the first alternate and two Greeks from Crete finished ahead of him in the Road to Paris, but he would've finished in the top 32 in the Road to Paris with a few more points which could've been achieved via National Championships. For example this year he finished 3rd behind the two Cretans and got 70 points instead of 100 for first place. That alone would've qualified him for Paris.

Cycling:

Possibly a road race quota

Sailing:

Possibly a mixed 470 quota but instead the athletes changed categories after Tokyo since it became a mixed event instead of men's and women's only (for example Pavlos Kagialis who won bronze in Rio and is from Thessaloniki...)

As for medals, well Tentoglou and Korakaki would be very good chances and smaller chances for Siskos, Kougioumtsidis, Anastasiadou/Bourmpou, and Tzengko.

Edited by Makedonas

Did you notice the dramatic drop in the size of the South Korean team for the Olympics? It is down from well above 200 athletes in the past 6-7 Games to 141 this year. Mainly it is due to the lack of qualification in the team sports (baseball - I know - not in programme this time, volleyball, football, basketball).

Do you think it is that a one-time issue or is it a sustainable development that South Korean teams are being outperformed by others in Asian qualifications?

Edited by stratocumulus

It's tough to say, South Korea had horrible luck in team sport qualification (some of which was due to Japan no longer being host). If you remove the 83 team quotas lost, their 2020 numbers would have been 154 which is only slightly higher than what they have here. Of course, failing to qualify in team sports could be an indicator of future problems.

I guess we'll see in 2028.

6 hours ago, JoshMartini007 said:

It's tough to say, South Korea had horrible luck in team sport qualification (some of which was due to Japan no longer being host). If you remove the 83 team quotas lost, their 2020 numbers would have been 154 which is only slightly higher than what they have here. Of course, failing to qualify in team sports could be an indicator of future problems.

I guess we'll see in 2028.

The Games 2020 were in Asia, which made it easier for Asian's teams to qualify, because Japan was automatically qualified in most team events. Just like it's easier to qualify for European teams this time.

9 hours ago, stratocumulus said:

Did you notice the dramatic drop in the size of the South Korean team for the Olympics? It is down from well above 200 athletes in the past 6-7 Games to 141 this year. Mainly it is due to the lack of qualification in the team sports (baseball - I know - not in programme this time, volleyball, football, basketball).

Do you think it is that a one-time issue or is it a sustainable development that South Korean teams are being outperformed by others in Asian qualifications?

With their coming demographic collapse, it's unlikey to get better.

Edited by De_Gambassi