website statistics

Short Track Speed Skating at the Winter Olympic Games Beijing 2022

7 hours ago, Monzanator said:

:ITA Arianna Fontana does it! With no Maliszewska I guess she was the best one to win.

today she was just untouchable...

10 Olympic medals for her (4 consecutive times on the podium of "her" 500m: bronze in 2010, silver in 2014 and now 2 golds in a row)...:bowdown:

and it's not over, yet...

7 hours ago, LDOG said:

I don't understand the rules, but the chinese grabbing the other guy at the end is ok?

no, but it was the Hungarian that unbalanced the Chinese guy...he tried to grab Liu only because he felt he was going down to the ground...

of all the mistakes made by the jury, that call on the final straight of the 1000m medal race is the less disputable...

the true scandal was the call on Hwang in the semifinal race...

14 minutes ago, intoronto said:

Fontana's scream wasn't in celebration as much as it was a release of the anger she's been carrying since returning from a year's break after the 2018 Olympics. Fontana won gold four years ago, but it was made clear that her husband and former U.S. short track skater, Anthony Lobello Jr., wasn't welcome as her coach.

"I'm kind of overwhelmed with a lot of different emotions — happy, relieved," Fontana said. "I don't usually yell, but it was a way to let it out, all that anger."

Italian federation officials passed Fontana in the hallway after her victory and didn't offer congratulations.

"I wasn't looking for them to come up to me," she said. "It's actually better if they stay away."

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/olympics/winter/short-track-speed-skating/olympics-short-track-speed-skating-canada-beijng-olympics-1.6339243

lol why does this only happen to Italy!?!

The Italian short track is based on the rivalries and the power games between small towns of Valtellina with a few miles of inhabitants, nothing new under the sun :p

ISU statement on the :KOR and :HUN protests in the men’s 1000m

https://www.isu.org/isu-news/news/145-news/13972-isu-statement-isu-short-track-speed-skating-men-1000m-competition?templateParam=15

As a matter of fact, in line with the applicable field of play principles, no protests against the Officials’ decisions concerning disqualification or non-disqualification for violation of any racing rules are allowed.” 

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

2 hours ago, dcro said:

Absolute disgrace. This will go right up there with the biggest robberies in the Olympic history. The whole tournament, I fear.

My problem with short track are indeed all those penalties. Isn't the whole idea of the sport to have a closely physical race between the skaters? Okay, I am not approving murders here, but every slightest contact getting penalized is ridiculous.

If it was up to me anything that isn't a judo throw or taking a short cut outside of the course limit would be allowed.  

No pushing penalties for pussies, no lane bullshit. Just go and murder each other :lol: 

2 hours ago, NearPup said:

:GBR Christie with a good sense of humor here.

I do think this is part of the problem. The sport works fine at World Cup level where there’s dozens of races a weekend & you just get on with. But as soon as the Olympics roll around and the judges see the chance to get their faces on global TV…:roflmao:

But I do wonder if the sport is workable in a hyper-competitive environment.

Just now, Grassmarket said:

I do think this is part of the problem. The sport works fine at World Cup level where there’s dozens of races a weekend & you just get on with. But as soon as the Olympics roll around and the judges see the chance to get their faces on global TV…:roflmao:

But I do wonder if the sport is workable in a hyper-competitive environment.

The quality of the racing is definitively better at the world cup. Though I think an underrated issue is that the ice is also better at world cups. The venue being shared with figure skating makes the ice less than ideal.