website statistics
Summer Youth Olympic Games 2018
Posted

I have watched several beach handball matches lately and two things have caught my attention about the rules of this previously unknown sport (to me):

1- the set system is so stupid! you lose the first set by even 1 point and you already know that you can only win the match by undergoing a very narrow skill contest like the shoot-out. It's a massive psychological disadvantage for the loser of 1st set. A normal accumulated scoring system like in indoor handball would be much more fair IMO.

2- So far our men's team has gone through 3 shoot-outs and won all three. The thing is, for some reason I don't know, all our opponent teams so far have chosen to remain with the keeper in goal during the SO, while our team has always chosen to play it with an outfield player in order to block the shot. Our team so far has shoot 15 penalties (5x each of the 3 shoot-outs) and scored all of them with double point!!

I really don't get it... our strategy just seems too obviously the better one for this type of shoot-out yet only our team does this? I don't see how leaving your keeper to receive a point blank jump shot in the face is seen as a good strategy in this sport. Maybe those teams just have that much confidence in their keeper?:mumble:

Posted
hace 7 minutos, dcro said:

:yikes:

image.png.2d6d9fab1d0f5ba7ba27f6505e2e301d.png

Dude, when we compete in pan american championships of badminton our players finish below top 15, so imagine the level... It's the only core sport that Argentina never qualified for at senior olympics.

Posted
hace 4 minutos, heywoodu said:

Watching this afternoon's inline skating...I am in love with this venue I think, it looks drop dead gorgeous right by the sea :wub:

Technically a river, but it opens to the sea around there.

About the cities... in terms of security there isn't much difference between Argentina and Uruguay to be honest. Both have nasty areas you should avoid, maybe Buenos Aires is a bit more "modern" overall. But there are awful taxi drivers here too :p no wonder Uber is killing them.

Posted
hace 1 minuto, Fly_like_a_don said:

Any updates what is happening in shooting... Can't visit the website due to low signal here 

Indian first place, qualification is about the end.

Posted

Lol everyone went after Egypt number 7 when the game finished. 

Our team played really bad and Egypt was better. Draw is a great result under this circumstances. Also Egypt likely was the hardest opponent in the group.

Posted

Lol i'm watching argentina-egypt futsal. A egyptian boy scored and did the "shut up" and "ears" gesture to the spectators for absolutely no reason (since the crowd was super quiet until then and barely making noise even) and he did it for like 10 entire seconds! Now he enraged the crowd and there are jeers every time Egypt has the ball. 

What a dumb kid.

Posted

The only place in the park that wasn't bonkers-overloaded with people was an scenario with some orchestra that seemingly was playing only video game music (?) I heard some smash bros., pokemon, star fox, metal gear solid soundtracks.

I don't get what that has to do with the olympics, but had a little good time there :p

Posted

Just got back home. Only managed to watch hockey today :(

Around 3pm I left the stadium to buy a drink and go watch something else. I tried Swimming... full. Fencing... full. Weightlifting... full. All of them with +1000 people in queue outside the arenas.

Then I tried to go back to hockey but there were suddenly 2000 people waiting outside :facepalm:so I lost my place and had no option but to leave the park.

Free tickets will do this, but I think today being Sunday made things worse. I will go back on tuesday, hopefully there will be much less people around.

Ps. the organization could help everyone if they simply were kind enough to place a "full capacity reached" sign in the entrance of each hall. Many people doing the line didn't know that the venue was full and they were wasting their time. You had to go all the way to the access door and ask the volunteers to get that info.

Posted

Hello guys, i'm at the park.

The queues are INSANE, so far i could only get into the hockey venue (watching india-austria girls at the moment).

The queue for I think it was gymnastics was like 500 metre long.

Maybe i will share pictures later in the Facebook group.

Posted
hace 5 minutos, thiago_simoes said:

I didn't expect much from the opening, but even so I have to say I'm disappointed. This looks amateurish at best. 

I was expecting this. The director must be a total idiot, he can't get one angle right :facepalm:

Posted
hace 5 minutos, kapil857 said:

Apart from the olympic channel (which is not going to show all events), does anybody have any livesteaming links ?? May be something from host argentine broadcasters ??

Probably this channel will show stuff but  it's  not guaranted:  https://www.tycsportsplay.com

Posted
hace 1 minuto, bestmen said:

Ceremony in the street :yikes:

no tickets to buy no parade of nations 

they will just show cars ,cats of streets and people buying hotdog 

There will be parade of nations as far as I know, why else would everyone nominate flag bearers then?

There aren't conventional tickets but you need to have a bracelet that has a chip inside to enter the place. Same bracelet you will need for all events.

Posted
1 hour ago, bestmen said:

any Argentinian will go to the stadium ? 

If you mean the opening ceremony, it's not in a stadium but in the street. And no, i'm not attending it.

I will go when sports start on sunday.