Welcome to Totallympics, the home of Olympic Sports!

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to other members, get your own private messenger, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Login | Create an Account

Sign in to follow this  
Janakis

Basketball 2017 Discussion Thread

George_D    45

Angola has been selected to host this year’s International Basketball Federation (FIBA) AfroBasket following the withdrawal of the Republic of Congo due to "logistics issues"

MHSN    122
On 4/21/2017 at 06:38, mrv86 said:

Draw Results for FIBA AmericaCup 2017

IMO:

Group A is open, but Puerto Rico will have an advantage over the other teams; sadly Brazil is currently suspended from participation, so another South American team will take its place, probably Paraguay.

In Group B, Argentina is already qualified for the final phase, so the other ticket shall be between Canada and defending champion Venezuela; it all will depend on Canada's roster.

Finally, tough luck for the other teams in Group C, as USA is the clear favorite to advance to next phase, but again, only if they send a solid "B" team.

Edit: It seems likely that FIBA Americas will readmit Brazil, thus allowing them to compete in Group A, in which case, they could win it.

Why they are using such a weird system this year ? was it hard for them to find a host for a 16-team tournament ?  or maybe they were just bored of having a decent tournament and they came up with such stupid/strange idea.

mrv86    205
2 hours ago, MHSN said:

Why they are using such a weird system this year ? was it hard for them to find a host for a 16-team tournament ?  or maybe they were just bored of having a decent tournament and they came up with such stupid/strange idea.

I guess because they could not a single country willing to host the tournament by itself... I mean sure it means some heavy expenses, but I guess in a country like Argentina, Puerto Rico or Mexico they will have enough revenue from sponsors, TV rights and ticket sales.

I agree with you this system is stupid and unfair, specially because Argentina has a wild card to the semis, even if they team perform terrible in the preliminaries (which I hope won't happen but you never know); plus this tournament is also supposed to serve as the qualifier for 2019 Pan American Games, giving 7th tickets which still keeps me wondering how are the planning to determine.

George_D    45

2023 FIBA World Cup bids:

1. Argentina and Uruguay (joint application)
  2. Indonesia, Japan and the Philippines (joint application)
  3. Turkey
  4. Russia

George_D    45
On 1/6/2017 at 18:53, Federer91 said:

Spoiler alert: A joint application will win :d

if it will be like this then it will be Argentina and Uruguay

Indonesia-Japan-Philippines even if you think the distances between them i find it impossible to be held in all these 3 countries + 2019 edition will be in Asia also

Turkey organized it in 2010 so its too early for them in 2023 again

Russia i think will be the other favorite besides Argentina-Uruguay