website statistics

Alpine Skiing 2016 - 2017 Discussion Thread

hckošice

Our skiers are always good on a very soft snow. Wonderful run for Vidović and for the first time he makes the second run. :yes

About damn time. He is winning races on European Cup and beating some guys who regularly earn WC points, if not top 10 finishes...

#banbestmen

Well this has been a joke of a competition. (yeah I'm late, apparently I haven't been watching it live I discovered just now :p )

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Repeat podium on second day in Jeongseon

Z

Sofia Goggia opened the floodgates with her inaugural World Cup victory on Saturday and proved it was no fluke with a follow-up win the ladies' super-G at Jeongseon, South Korea, on Sunday. For the second day in a row, she bested Lindsey Vonn by mere hundredths, and Ilka Stuhec finished third on a challenging set with big turns and high speeds.

“It feels great because also I think yesterday in the downhill, [Vonn] is the major speed queen. [Stuhec] is the world champ and the queen of the future, so the three most fast," said Goggia of her fellow podium mates. "It feels amazing because super-G this year was pretty difficult to me. I never found the right balance between pushing and to use the tactics. And today, I really tried to ski. There were some tricky points. I came by and it was really OK. I really tried to push.”

With her third-place finish, Stuhec took over the lead of the super-G standings and will head to Aspen with a 15-point advantage over Tina Weirather. 

"I had a funny feeling from the start house and later on it got a bit better. Yeah, it was a fun course actually because you had to do a lot. It didn’t do anything itself, so it was nice. I like it," said Stuhec. "The only nerves getting to Aspen I have is sixteen hours time difference that we have from here to there. So that’s the only thing. Otherwise, I’ll go like always, race for race, and do my best.”

Vonn once again found herself oh-so-shy of the win, this time finishing 0.04 seconds off Goggia's pace. She pointed to the Italian in the leader box after crossing the finish line and shook her head. 

"It’s definitely the best super-G performance I’ve had all season by a long shot, so it’s nice to see that I still have the speed and it’s coming back around," said Vonn. "Definitely frustrated with the amount of time that I’m getting second place by. But you know, if I’ve learned one thing in ski racing, it’s that those hundredths always come back and I’m hoping that they come back next year for the Olympics. So I’ll bide my time. I’ll be patient, and everything will work out the way it’s supposed to.”

The ladies' tour now heads to Squaw Valley, USA, to contest giant slalom and slalom races on Friday and Saturday this week.

Full Results Here

Sofia Goggia

Maiden victory for Michael Matt at Kranjska Gora

Z

As forecasted, uninterrupted rainfall marked the night between yesterday’s Giant Slalom and today’s Slalom in Kranjska Gora, but thanks to the efforts of the experienced course crew, the Podkoren slalom hill offered great conditions for today’s Pokal Vitranc slalom.

Austria’s Michael Matt was the one that handled the conditions the best and could celebrate his first career World Cup win. After a podium at the beginning of the season in Levi, Matt also came close to an exploit at the World Championships, where he was 3rd after the first run but finished 8th after some struggles in the second run. Here in Kranjska Gora, the 23 year old athlete seemed to fly over the ruts and laid down a fantastic second run, that no one after him would be able to beat.

"It's amazing, it's unbelievable when you stand out there in the finish area. When you're second after the first run and then the green light is in the second run when you're in the finish, it's amazing. I watched (the other racers) at the World Championships in St. Moritz and that wasn't good, so I didn't watch today. I didn't watch anyone, I just focused on me and my skiing and I'm really happy. I'v had a good experience in European Cup here on this hill and last year as well. I just like the hill and love to ski here."

One athlete particularly impressed in the first run, it’s Stefano Gross. The Italian had a season with lots of ups and downs. He scored some very good results, including a third place in Madonna di Campiglio, but failed to be constant as he skied out three times this season. In Kranjska Gora, he found his pace in both runs and managed to hold claim a second place, only +0.30 behind the winner Mario Matt.

"It feels extremely good because I've had a really difficult season. Unfortunately, I had a bad back problem in January and then the best race I could have done was when I was second after the first run in Kitzbuehel and in the second run, I straddled a gate right at the top. That could have probably totally changed my season if something had gone well at that point but it's been a terrible season for me and it really feels very good to be back on the podium this season. I had a great first run, but in the second run I had a few problems. It was bumpy, it was really hard to hold the line, but I was well prepared for the conditions with training in salty, spring snow."

In third place, Germany’s Felix Neureuther confirmed his good shape from the World Championships, where he collected a bronze medal. With two solid runs, he was able to secure the third spot on the podium, the 3rd in this World Cup season.

"It feels very good. I don't know how may times I've been on the podium here but it's a very, very special hill, technical, tough and the conditions are always tough too so I am very happy to be on the podium again. I had some problems at the beginning of the season until just right before the World Championships; I was struggling with my setup so I couldn't ski as I wanted but now, since the World Championships, it feels really good again."

The metronome Marcel Hirscher earned a 4th place in today’s race, enough to secures him the discipline globe, as he is now 110 points ahead of Henrik Kristoffersen with only one race to go. A huge mistake prevented the Norwegian to qualify for second run and score points for the cup today.

On the men’s side, this was the last regular World Cup stop of the season. After a week-end off due to travelling, the 25 best racer of each discipline are moving over to Aspen for the World Cup Finals from 15th to 19th March 2017.

Full Results Here

Michael Matt

2nd Run