website statistics

Tokyo Summer Olympic Games 2020 News

Apparently in rowing they are also considering mixed boats... And they have mandated that there must be '50% female participation' at all costs...Ridiculous.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/other-sports/77656692/fewer-olympic-rowing-events-likely-postrio-will-mean-fewer-kiwi-medal-chances

I don't think anyone reasonable has a problem with women in sports. I of course support equal events for women to the extent that they are contested at a competitive and high level already. But surely their inclusion doesn't have to be a zero-some game for prestigious events with high levels of participation and quality?! I'm sure for example with canoeing they are perfectly capable of doing 5 events, they just don't want to because women don't have their own C2 and god forbid they'd feel oppressed by having fewer events. Nothing to do with the fact that a women's C2 category barely even exists.

Quite scary how the younger generation is starting to take its hold on things, I thought sports would be somewhat safe. Already people are more obsessed with being 'politically correct' and having obsessive thoughts over whether sports 'reflect the population' that quality of the athletes will matter second. It's already happening so much already in government or education. And the sad part is the further we get into time, the more of these brainwashed young people who think that 'diversity' is the first priority in life there are going to be. And this all is coming from a 17 year old.

Aaaaanyway since this 'change in events' is going to probably happen quite often because we are moving into the bright and beautiful and equal utopian future of ours, maybe someone should make a thread concerning potential and real 'event changes' for Tokyo 2020.

So bring on the athletics mixed relays and the mixed tandem cycling and the mixed sailing and the mixed wrestling (oh, god...)

Well, I'm totally into mixed sailing (since it has 0 effect on the race itself), and mixed synchronized swimming, it's more awesome.

And also into athletic mixed rellays, they're more extrategic (but I don't want them into Olympics, they're cute at Rellay World Championships and that's all)

But everything needs to be with a plan. Maybe in 10 years we can had an inpresive level of male rhytmic gimnasts and in that moment we can talk about Olympics. You can't do it without having a proper level, and that's what I feel some federations are triying.

2 minutes ago, Jur said:

Well, I'm totally into mixed sailing (since it has 0 effect on the race itself), and mixed synchronized swimming, it's more awesome.

And also into athletic mixed rellays, they're more extrategic (but I don't want them into Olympics, they're cute at Rellay World Championships and that's all)

As long as they don't result in other events being removed, I'm fine with the first two as well. Athletics mixed relays does seem a little silly. I didn't even know it was being contested.

Oh, in my naïveté I just assumed it was more events.

If they want to get rid of existing events, let's just make every event gender-neutral. See how many women qualify then. Equality comes in many forms

This reminds me of the character 'Millie Tant' from Viz Comic.

http://viz.co.uk/millie-tant-2/ NSFW

But the problem is that stuff like 'mixed relays' don't make sense, it's like if the point of the Olympics is to determine who the best is, what does this determine that the proper relays don't? Waste of time.

As now we come across the world
To share these Games of old
Let all the flags of every land
In brotherhood unfold

5 hours ago, Jur said:

But everything needs to be with a plan. Maybe in 10 years we can had an inpresive level of male rhytmic gimnasts and in that moment we can talk about Olympics. You can't do it without having a proper level, and that's what I feel some federations are triying.

Just like the mass start in speed skating. Few people care about it and now you've got 3-4 people who can win while half the people watching it have no clue how the rules work, and they're already adding it to the Olympic program even though it's barely a decent World Cup event yet. 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

I do agree with you on most points, but one thing should be considered.

Most event won't evolve by itself. Getting them into the Olympics will without doubt give them more interest, both by being on tv and potential participants selecting them to have a chance at the Olympics. Though they have a chance at being pioneers, I think a lot of women has selected kayaking in front of canoeing in the past, because it's only now that women's canoeing is on the way into the Olympics.

I feel pretty sure that the chance of being in the Olympics makes more people select the sport or specific event. Therefore the "planning" has the major problem that it may very well be an uphill fight to strengthen the sport/event if they can't guarantee that it will be in the Olympics withing a reasonable period of time.

22 hours ago, Agger said:

I feel pretty sure that the chance of being in the Olympics makes more people select the sport or specific event. Therefore the "planning" has the major problem that it may very well be an uphill fight to strengthen the sport/event if they can't guarantee that it will be in the Olympics withing a reasonable period of time.

There are plenty of non-Olympic events that are by a long way more popular than women's C1 slalom or women's fours in rowing.

#banbestmen