website statistics

Sailing ASCON 420 & 470 African Championships 2020

hckošice

Is it such few quotas? In 470 we have 12 and 14 quotas for nations based on the 2018 and 2019 World Championships, not to mention that not all of the continent/host quotas are "wasted." At this point any nation of note should have qualified. The Olympics tries to achieve a balance between strength and diversity, it's the reason why we don't have a hundred Kenyans/Ethiopians running in the marathon or in sailing's case multiple entrants from the same country. In the end, the 19th/21st ranked nation and Angola have the same chance at winning a medal so I'd rather have the diversity.

Free quotas in some events are an unfortunate result and while I'm not entirely opposed to a rule that there must be at least 2-3 eligible nations competing, but in sailing it would be hard to implement. Canada/United States and Australia/New Zealand have enough pull to argue for diversity even though it also benefits them. Obviously Asia and Africa would be against it too and I doubt Europe will push too hard as to avoid being accused of making the Olympics "too Euro-centric"

4 minutes ago, JoshMartini007 said:

Is it such few quotas? In 470 we have 12 and 14 quotas for nations based on the 2018 and 2019 World Championships, not to mention that not all of the continent/host quotas are "wasted." At this point any nation of note should have qualified. The Olympics tries to achieve a balance between strength and diversity, it's the reason why we don't have a hundred Kenyans/Ethiopians running in the marathon or in sailing's case multiple entrants from the same country. In the end, the 19th/21st ranked nation and Angola have the same chance at winning a medal so I'd rather have the diversity.

Free quotas in some events are an unfortunate result and while I'm not entirely opposed to a rule that there must be at least 2-3 eligible nations competing, but in sailing it would be hard to implement. Canada/United States and Australia/New Zealand have enough pull to argue for diversity even though it also benefits them. Obviously Asia and Africa would be against it too and I doubt Europe will push too hard as to avoid being accused of making the Olympics "too Euro-centric"

Agree with all this, just one thing. Technically we do have a hundred Kenyans/Ethiopians running the marathon, we just make sure to spread around diversely from country to country :p

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

I like the free outas, because i prefer universiality before that some one is good, because olympi games are not like other sporting events, i is about fighting well, btw i never care who vinns. Congrats to Angola.

I am against that sould be a qualification to the olympi games, anyone who is inthrest could compet.

Whit the maXIMUM OF ONE PER NATION.

Montinho/Afonso won both races today. It was weird seeing them in second yesterday, but I guess it was just a bad first race.

The women's race had Mozambique finish last in the first two races and now today Angola's crew finished last. Hopefully there's no collusion from the men's boats where they try to give the women the best result relative to Mozambique.