website statistics

CISM Military World Games 2019

Totallympics

Just now, Gianlu33 said:

In Italy they can join in the army if they have the Italian passport.

What about “illegal” migrants that live in Italy? It would be a bit dumb not to expect free military service from non-Italians for Italians.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

3 hours ago, Gianlu33 said:

In Italy all the individual sport (except tennis and golf) are founding by the army corps. Our biggest athletes (maybe with the Pellegrini's exception) was part of the italian army :p

Does this include gymnastics? Even women's gymnastics? All of the girls from the bronze medal winning team at the 2019 Worlds are 16 years old, so they would not be allowed to join the military. But what about older gymnasts like Vanessa Ferrari?

Also, @heywoodu might help me here: wasn't Yuri van Gelder part of the military? What about the status of other Dutch gymnasts right now?

The more “neutral” or “peaceful” counties seem to have a lot of rather young servicemen. I guess that would true, if your not concerned about war, but still have young men that want to perform some civic duty. 

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Just now, thiago_simoes said:

Does this include gymnastics? Even women's gymnastics? All of the girls from the bronze medal winning team at the 2019 Worlds are 16 years old, so they would not be allowed to join the military. But what about older gymnasts like Vanessa Ferrari?

Also, @heywoodu might help me here: wasn't Yuri van Gelder part of the military? What about the status of other Dutch gymnasts right now?

Ferrari is a member of the Esercito, so she is in the army. Is not so common have gymnastics in the army, probability becouse the place for artistic gymnastics aren't too much and it's very strange because rhytmic gymnastics have a lot of places

46 minutes ago, thiago_simoes said:

He definitely was, the most famous military athlete here in fact. Nowadays I believe the military sports program here doesn't really have anything noteworthy anymore.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!