website statistics

What medal for your country in Tokyo would be the most fun for you?

:GRE Men's water polo would be nice. We've qualified for 11 consecutive Olympics and still never won a medal. Best was 4th place in 2004. We were 6th in Rio. I think it would be a bit surprising if we won a medal this year which would make it fun. Also we got two World Championships bronze medals (2005 and 2015) so it's a bit disappointing that we haven't been able to be successful like that in the Olympics.

:GRE Stefanos Tsitsipas/Maria Sakkari. Any medal in tennis from either (or both) would be really cool.

:GRE Byron Kokkalanis (sailing). He was 6th in London and 5th in Rio. I really want him to win a medal and he's 35 yo so this is probably his last chance, especially since we have good young sailors in the same event that might surpass him even if he sticks around another three years. I really hope Tokyo 2020 can be his Gianniotis Rio 2016 moment.

:GRE Paraskevi Papachristou (triple jump) and Nikoleta Kyriakopoulou (pole vault). Both are mothers which is a nice story. Both also won a lot of World/European Championships medals but never Olympics and both are in their 30s now. Papachristou I think will have one more chance in Paris but I don't think Kyriakopoulou will still be around. I really like both of them too. For example I like them more than Stefanidi (nothing personal against her, I just prefer these two). Also I feel Papachristou was unfairly treated when they kicked her out of London 2012, so this would be the biggest revenge to her haters if she wins a medal here.

:GRE Any of our three boats in rowing. One of my favourite sports and all of our rowers here are very young (the oldest is 24) and we have a lot of problems in rowing. I think a youngster winning an Olympic medal would really help the situation and maybe attract some more sponsors.

Of course any medal would be fun but these are probably the ones I want to see the most. I only included people/teams that have some chances to win. For example I'd love for us to win a medal in a track event, but that's obviously not going to happen so I didn't include it. I also excluded others who already won medals (Stefanidi, Petrounias, Korakaki, Tsoulfa, Mantis, Kagialis) and some which are more expected (Tentoglou). I'd also like to say men's basketball but I'll wait to see if they even qualify first.

15 hours ago, rafalgorka said:

I think the biggest fun for me would be a medal in individual running event in athletics. Last time we had it was 1980 :-(

I don't think it is very realistic though but maybe M 1500m ...

Maybe this thing suddenly became more realistic today than it was yesterday with today's huge performance by Patryk Dobek in M 800m. ?

Would be awesome. 

The most fun for me :NED  would be a gold medal in track cycling men's sprint (realistic), a medal for Sharon van Rouwendaal (open water swimming, sort of realistic) or a medal in women's handball (not realistic though).

I'd love to see our :NED women's football team win!

I would also love it if one of my two favorite Dutch Olympians manages to take a medal: Epke Zonderland or Ranomi Kromowidjojo.

Neither of these is very likely to happen, but a man can hope:thumbup:

39 minutes ago, chinmoy said:

Men Hockey Gold for INDIA

My wish list: 

1) Hockey Men's medal 

2) Mirabai somehow winning Gold

3) Elavenil winning medal (She is a fellow Amdavadi :p)

4) Neeraj getting our first ever Athletics medal. 

5) Sindhu becoming our most decorated Olympian (except Hockey)

6) Vinesh Phogat getting a Olympic medal for the phenomenal Phogat family

7) Overall getting 2 Golds and 10 medals.