website statistics

India National Thread

gvaisakh

8 minutes ago, tirtha22 said:

In the video , SRASSC is shown. Not a separate centre for rowing. But combined for all sports.

thanks was wondering where .........as the rowing facilities are not particularly advanced 

strength does not come from physical capacity but from an indomitable will. - Gandhi

1 hour ago, Prashanth said:

UWW Freestyle World Cup June  11-12, 2016 Los Angeles, CA, US

India would be taking part in the prestigious event.....

Thanks for the info.................... It would be good to see what is the improvement in the higher weight  freestyle team ..

strength does not come from physical capacity but from an indomitable will. - Gandhi

Quick look at Indian Quotas ( with an eye for Tokyo ) - we did well this time in multiple sports - we have a record number of quotas but I felt we lost very closely some of the quotas  - so ye dil mange more - My thoughts for Tokyo based on this qualification sequence  ( this is for the events over till now  when we compare them with london 

TT ( sharp improvement over london  ) -> record numbers equally Barcelona ( where there were 3 men and 1 women ) - 4 ( the maximum we could have had was 6 ) - We were within knocking distance of a team ( 3 men quota ) .....our men have improved ...for the first time we have 2 men in the top 75 ........ the women also for the first time seem to coming close to the top 100 which showed in 2 women qualifying ..... for us the draw was favorable ....next time we can definitely try for the mens team quota  ( Hope for Tokyo - 5

Hockey ( sharp improvement over london  ) - First time since Moscow have we had the women's team qualifying and the men also for the first time could be medal prospects ...so we achieved maximum 32- ( Hope for Tokyo - 32  ) 

Shooting  ( good improvement over london  ) - Our highest ever strength of 12 ....... first quota in skeet ............ we were just a point or two away from quotas in the Asian qualification in .............women's 3 position , double trap ( 2 people ) , 25m rapid fire , mens 10 m air rifle , pistol-10m for men  and skeet men ........................so with luck we can next time hope for 15 -16  Quotas 

Badminton ( good improvement over london )  - This time kashyaps injury cost us a possible 2nd mens quota and prannoy showed a late surge but too late ...................... in the mixed doubles we have not had a good pair , but ashiwini - attri and jerry - sikki are both showing promise and feel next time we can have a quota in mixed doubles too - Hope for tokyo - 10 quotas 

Wrestling  ( good improvement ) - This time around our wrestlers did us proud - 6 quotas but I felt we had the potential for quite few more - In  greco where we showed some improvement - we were one bout away from Ravinder getting a quota in the asian  in 66 kg GR and of course Hardeep in the 98 kg category will give new life to GR    ,  in women's freestyle I feel we missed one more women's quota in Babita , Shilpi... in mens we had out chances with mausam in 97 kg  and hitender in the 125..... so next time around I believe we can 2 GR + 3-4 FW + 5-6 FS........................... so hoping to have 10-11 wrestlers 

Rowing ( fall in quality ) - Due to the power play situation between the federation and coaches  there was no discernable improvement in fact a fall in the quality ........... Hope for tokyo. I was suprised not to see at least the women rowers not even attempt qualification  - hope for tokyo 2-3 

Gymnastics ( sharp improvement ) - Dipa has given high exposure and Rakesh was unlucky to miss going to Rio test event ...possibly next time we could have possibly 2-3 gymnasts qualifying as I believe both Ashish and Rakesh can qualify .......

Weightlifting ( good improvement ) - In the last two years the womens team has improved leaps and bounds ........................ I feel they can easily get 50 +50 in the next cycle which shoudl bring them to 3 quotas  ( .if you see in the 2015 cycle they have got 47 points and missed the two quota qualifier narrowly)  ..in the men there is no great improvement so I am feeling that they will not be able to get more than 1 quota .................hopes for 4 weightlifters 

Sailing - ( no change )  despite varsha and aishwarya showing some sparks and nethra there is no change or significant improvement in sailing - chances of qualification remain bleak in tokyo 

Fencing ( Significant improvement ) - for the first time we were  actually having some fencer in some vague possibility of qualification 

chances of qualification remain bleak in Tokyo 

cycling ( significant improvement ) - I believe we can have Deborah possibly qualifying based on the improvement she has shown over last few months ... so 1 cyclist 

Other sports - the misc sports where we have had some success at  the local level -  I believe we did not see any improvement in Taekwondo , Volleyball , canoeing,  etc 

so withthe exception of Rowing and sailing which feel we had improvement in multiple key sports 

30 minutes ago, RickygoestoRio said:

How come softball and baseball be in Tokyo 2020?but no Squash??

Because the two are much more popular than squash...

But Squash before surfing, climbing and skateboarding? That is just silly if you ask me...

10 hours ago, nitinsanker said:

Gymnastics ( sharp improvement ) - Dipa has given high exposure and Rakesh was unlucky to miss going to Rio test event ...possibly next time we could have possibly 2-3 gymnasts qualifying as I believe both Ashish and Rakesh can qualify .......

A bunch of female gymnasts from West Bengal lead by Pranati  is very promising and can be medal material in 4 years of time. They have been winning gold consistently in all the national events they have been participating off late.

3 hours ago, intoronto said:

Because the two are much more popular than squash...

But Squash before surfing, climbing and skateboarding? That is just silly if you ask me...

Is a climbing a sport, that too in Olympics? That's news for me. It's high time they get cricket it, far more popular than all these sports.

10 minutes ago, RickygoestoRio said:

Poor. swarn  :cry: with Thakkar he was one of the pillars of rowing