website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Politics Thread

Wanderer

Not the roaring victory the Republicans expected, but still an improvement. They will take the House and the Senate will be decided by the Georgia run-off, if it will be 50-50 again or 51-49 Rep. Given the usual results in these run-offs it will most like be a Dem win for a 50-50 tie.

The Senate race is going to be a big disappointment for the Rep., as polls were expecting a good lead of 52-48, or even 53-47.

By the way, i was wondering, while watching last night, how do they re-draw the borders of the districts after the new Census came in? At CNN they would often mention "Well District X has now incorporated this county, or this part, and is now leaning more Dem/Rep", which brought up my interest how exactly do they decide these restructures of district borders? Is there a formula that is being followed? Maybe @Olympian1010 can give some inside answers. :d

27 minutes ago, Federer91 said:

By the way, i was wondering, while watching last night, how do they re-draw the borders of the districts after the new Census came in? At CNN they would often mention "Well District X has now incorporated this county, or this part, and is now leaning more Dem/Rep", which brought up my interest how exactly do they decide these restructures of district borders? Is there a formula that is being followed? Maybe @Olympian1010 can give some inside answers. :d

The rules for the redistricting process are left up to each individual state. In California, we have an independent commission called the California Citizens Redistricting Commission (CCRC). I remember there was a portal online where you could write in to the commission describing what you considered your “local community.” They then took the input from individual citizens and advocacy groups and drew up new congressional districts based on it, while making sure they were roughly equal in population, and that they weren’t drawn in a way that would purposely dull the voting ability of a particular group.

Edited by Olympian1010

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

1 hour ago, Olympian1010 said:

The rules for the redistricting process are left up to each individual state. In California, we have an independent commission called the California Citizens Redistricting Commission (CCRC). I remember there was a portal online where you could write in to the commission describing what you considered your “local community.” They then took the input from individual citizens and advocacy groups and drew up new congressional districts based on it, while making sure they were roughly equal in population, and that they weren’t drawn in a way that would purposely dull the voting ability of a particular group.

Yeah, Communists always go to great lengths to make things look fair.  It’s only when they win by stonking majorities every time that people get suspicious.  

12 hours ago, Grassmarket said:

“Harder to vote” = to have approximately the same electoral laws as…..:DEN

Actively trying to create longer lines at polling places by closing down a lot of them... I mean, wanting 15 polling places for 4,5 million in Maricopa County is a disasterous idea. In my municipality with about 355.000 we have just below 50. Meanwhile in Georgia it's now prohibited to give food and water to people waiting in lines... Which they want to be longer. Or making it harder to register as voter for students, cutting down on early voting. Quite a lot of differences from Denmark.

Voter ID's isn't a  bad idea (or some other ID). But when the US population is so much anti-state that they cannot keep track of where their citizens live and give ID's to every single citizen, it is a major problem, especially towards minorities. I mean... If I move, I get a new ID sent for free. Quite a lot of US states even have stricter ID rules than Denmark.

The democrats are in no way perfect. They do gerrymandering in some states as well and certainly some ideas about election laws are more about getting more voters, but they did not censure a secretary of state or governor for affirming the election results or have candidates say very clearly that they will not accept a loss.

G20 summit.. Not much change will happen anyway so let's look at the memes

One of my favorite is this:

(The sticker is from a big souvenir shop in Bali, where they will stick it on your clothes when entering the shop)

1 hour ago, Monzanator said:

Mohammed bin Salman granted immunity by the USA :p   So much for Joe Biden trying to play hardball with Saudi Arabia. He's a senile old clown alright.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-63671947

He’s not in charge; he’s just put there by the people who are in charge to do all the embarrassing stuff.