website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Politics Thread

Wanderer

1 hour ago, CestaKago said:

Will this be a "rematch" of Cyrus the Great taking the Neo-Babilonian Empire in 539 BC or Caliph Uthman conquering Fars and Khorasan in 650-651?  :D

Just kidding, nobody likes wars. I hope we won't get there.

I always wonder why in English they call him Cyrus ! here he is called Kourosh ! totally different

and Uthmans conquered Khorasan ? I didn't know that, that's the far right of Iran if you check the map (Turkey is in the west). they had to conquer the whole Persian empire to reach Khorasan :d

my friend the war is started long time ago. except this is a win-loss war right now. Iran is trying to make it a loss-loss war for everybody. btw USA is "locked and loaded" for a very long time. their threats are not scaring people anymore.

in the meaning time, USA is denying visa for the Iranian delegation for the UN summit. that was very brave from Trump.

Dammit! Trudeau is racist :(. There goes the one world leader I liked :(. Time to find my new favorite progressive. 

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

6 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Dammit! Trudeau is racist :(. There goes the one world leader I liked :(. Time to find my new favorite progressive. 

I am not a Trudeau fan, far from it, but calling him a racist for a photo from 18 years ago is really stretching it.

Just now, intoronto said:

I am not a Trudeau fan, far from it, but calling him a racist for a photo from 18 years ago is really stretching it.

i would rather call him "Bieber-like-mediadarling-attentionwhore", but when you're when new mass media and PR firms take you to power, you also risk being crucified by them by some dumb idiocy you said the past.

Just remember Ricky Martin made a succesful coup d'etat in Puerto Rico, after some unfortunate and I admit out of place rant for a political leader such as the the Governor, but in my mind I just thought how biased and judgemental is the people to actually make him resign for such triviality, when 99.99% of the world's population has talked trash abou others, even throwing insults, at one point of their life.

31 minutes ago, intoronto said:

Well what he did is pretty much the definition of racist. The “it was different time argument” has no place. It was racist then, but he got lucky society wasn’t as progressive as it is today. Making yourself a cartoon version of an Arab is racist. I will say in his defense that he has worked hard to ease racial tensions and work on discrimination, so at least he’s actually tried to correct his mistakes. He also issues an immediate apology, though it wasn’t worded as it should have been, but oh well. 

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Just now, Olympian1010 said:

Well what he did is pretty much the definition of racist. The “it was different time argument” has no place. It was racist then, but he got lucky society wasn’t as progressive as it is today. Making yourself a cartoon version of an Arab is racist. I will say in his defense that he has worked hard to ease racial tensions and work on discrimination, so at least he’s actually tried to correct his mistakes. He also issues an immediate apology, though it wasn’t worded as it should have been, but oh well. 

I'm not saying he or anyone else wasn't racist back then. What I'm saying is that now everyone wants to be offended and play the victim by out of place, irresponsible comments. Not that in any case it doesn't deserve an apology to those people who actually received an injury, either moral, psychological or physical. And like I say, whoever says his/herself hasn't thrown an insult, being a racial/gender/religious/social epithet or a disregarding, offensive comment to belittle someone for any other reason, is certainly lying and in that case, is just a big hypocrit.

But truth to be told, unless we're talking about actual hate crimes (genocide, mass murder, segregation, illegal experimentation, human trafficking), I really find unnecessary an apology out of time in mass media, if not, outright farsical and insincere; but you know,nowadays people is  more concerned about outward gestures than actual honesty and taking full responsibility regarding actions, omissions and statements; what I call political correction.

4 hours ago, MHSN said:

I always wonder why in English they call him Cyrus ! here he is called Kourosh ! totally different

and Uthmans conquered Khorasan ? I didn't know that, that's the far right of Iran if you check the map (Turkey is in the west). they had to conquer the whole Persian empire to reach Khorasan :d

my friend the war is started long time ago. except this is a win-loss war right now. Iran is trying to make it a loss-loss war for everybody. btw USA is "locked and loaded" for a very long time. their threats are not scaring people anymore.

in the meaning time, USA is denying visa for the Iranian delegation for the UN summit. that was very brave from Trump.

Well, I suspect the Greeks have to do a little with all the names in the Middle East antiquity. In Romanian we call him Cyrus also, to not mention Cambises for instance, it's easier to pronounce than having to pronounce the Iranian name. As far as I can see by the time of the Abbasyd Caliphate the Sasanid Empire was already conquered and by the end of this dinasty the Arabs and Chinese were already foes in south-eastern nowadays Kazakhstan.

Yeah, today we are fighting each other for resources and markets but the war is mainly run on the economy side. Everybody is at war with everybody. I think that the "national" reason why we fought wars in the past is outdated today.

Just now, CestaKago said:

Well, I suspect the Greeks have to do a little with all the names in the Middle East antiquity. In Romanian we call him Cyrus also, to not mention Cambises for instance, it's easier to pronounce than having to pronounce the Iranian name. As far as I can see by the time of the Abbasyd Caliphate the Sasanid Empire was already conquered and by the end of this dinasty the Arabs and Chinese were already foes in south-eastern nowadays Kazakhstan.

Yeah, today we are fighting each other for resources and markets but the war is mainly run on the economy side. Everybody is at war with everybody. I think that the "national" reason why we fought wars in the past is outdated today.

I’m going to take a wild guess and say your a university history professor...

Just now, Olympian1010 said:

I’m going to take a wild guess and say your a university history professor...

You were very close except for the fact that I never tought at university and I don't teach right now. :p Or, as Peter Sellers said in "The Party": "You shoot me right in the pantaloon partner." :d