website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Politics Thread

Wanderer

Just now, hckosice said:

well, mine certainly not.

Obviously, I hope my 'Ugh' made it clear I meant that sarcastic :p 

You're right though, I'm curious to see the numbers 10 years from now. So, you know...can't leave Totallympics for the next 10 years, there you go.

Edited by heywoodu

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Just now, heywoodu said:

Obviously, I hope my 'Ugh' made it clear I meant that sarcastic :p 

You're right though, I'm curious to see the numbers 10 years from now. So, you know...can't leave Totallympics for the next 10 years, there you go.

Dude, in 10 years you´ll have to start training the young "heyw-una" for the Winter YOG  :yes

Just now, hckosice said:

Dude, in 10 years you´ll have to start training the young "heyw-una" for the Winter YOG  :yes

:lol:

If heyw-una is a girl, her (first) name is already in existence in the IBU database... :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

I am start thinking to the parallel situations of Brexit and Italian Government crisis as a political version of the Wang/Di Donna rivalry at Atlanta 1996. However, today it looks that Brexit is going to win this head to head due to the fact that Parliament will be closed up to October 14th more or less, to avoid any political trap trying to avoiding No Deal Brexit.

At the same time in Italy, we have Democrats and 5-Stars more or less agreeing in creating a new government under the lead of the previous PM, but still to understand who will be encharged as ministry, which can really make the difference in make a prediction regarding how long this government will last.

From my point of view, although this is not an ideal situation and I am definitely not well impressed by PM Conte keeping on leading the government, I really hope that this experience may have good results, as this will hopefully destroy salvini's hopes towards premiership and possibly erase by our history its ridiculous party, together with its ridiculous allies and creating a right-wing party which is not fascist or made up of yes-mens of a stupid leader.

4 hours ago, hckosice said:

A interesting research was done by our  Institute for Public Affairs in our high schools.

The kids between the ages of 15 and 19 were asked to anonymously answer who they would not want to have as their neighbors.  positively, most have chosen extremist politicians. :yes also is quite encouraging that our youngs have no problems with Jews and Peoples of different skin color. :)

Reveal hidden contents

75% extremist politicians

61% Roma peoples (Gypsies)

59% Muslims

45% Refugees from countries affected by war and hunger

32% Long-term unemployed peoples

28% People of different sexual orientation

28% Foreigners from neighboring countries working in Slovakia

17% Jews

17% People of different skin color

Also worth noting that the world as a whole has seen super nationalistic feels the past 4-5 years. It’s a trend, so it will break and I think we will see numbers improve, especially around Muslims in Europe. This does say some positive things about the Slovakian education system, which from what I’ve read/seen is pretty good.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

1 minute ago, Olympian1010 said:

Also worth noting that the world as a whole has seen super nationalistic feels the past 4-5 years. It’s a trend, so it will break and I think we will see numbers improve, especially around Muslims in Europe. This does say some positive things about the Slovakian education system, which from what I’ve read/seen is pretty good.

Support for Muslims could thrive in former colonial powers but Slovakia? Hell no. It's probably as laicized country as Czech Republic and you just don't see Muslims advocating their atheism. Their religion is part of the package.

Just now, Monzanator said:

Support for Muslims could thrive in former colonial powers but Slovakia? Hell no. It's probably as laicized country as Czech Republic and you just don't see Muslims advocating their atheism. Their religion is part of the package.

I think something got lost in translation. I meant that over time sentiment against Muslims will decline. I will take quite a while based on current European attitudes obviously, but I think it will happen. To get back to the neighbor argument, I could care less who I live next too as long as their a) respectful of me and others in the neighborhood b) tolerate others c) don’t steal my stuff, break in my house, etc. d) don’t commit a murder (though I’d be okay with a reformed criminal) e) try not to a-hope when possible. I don’t expect a lot from people because I know how hard I am to put up with. It isn’t that hard to get along with people who are “different” then you. If I pass someone walking, I say “good morning, hello, etc.). If someone needs help, you help them. If someone’s lost around town, you help them figure out where they need to go. If someone’s doing something illegal you can either report it or ask them to stop (if they don’t there’s plenty ways to deal with it without losing your mind). If someone speaks a different language but needs help, I use an app that translates to help them. In general I make it a point to be the most positive member of the community I can be. I make very little noise, none between 22:00 - 6:00. I apologize if I trespass or get in someone’s way. It’s not hard to be a decent person. I can have a Muslim family to my right, and Jewish one to my left, and African one across the street, or even a family just moved from the inner-city across the way from me; and would still treat them like I’d treat anyone else. People are so difficult sometimes.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

38 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

I think something got lost in translation. I meant that over time sentiment against Muslims will decline. I will take quite a while based on current European attitudes obviously, but I think it will happen. To get back to the neighbor argument, I could care less who I live next too as long as their a) respectful of me and others in the neighborhood b) tolerate others c) don’t steal my stuff, break in my house, etc. d) don’t commit a murder (though I’d be okay with a reformed criminal) e) try not to a-hope when possible. I don’t expect a lot from people because I know how hard I am to put up with. It isn’t that hard to get along with people who are “different” then you. If I pass someone walking, I say “good morning, hello, etc.). If someone needs help, you help them. If someone’s lost around town, you help them figure out where they need to go. If someone’s doing something illegal you can either report it or ask them to stop (if they don’t there’s plenty ways to deal with it without losing your mind). If someone speaks a different language but needs help, I use an app that translates to help them. In general I make it a point to be the most positive member of the community I can be. I make very little noise, none between 22:00 - 6:00. I apologize if I trespass or get in someone’s way. It’s not hard to be a decent person. I can have a Muslim family to my right, and Jewish one to my left, and African one across the street, or even a family just moved from the inner-city across the way from me; and would still treat them like I’d treat anyone else. People are so difficult sometimes.

That's not really the reality in Central/Eastern Europe though. Oh, and Gypsies will almost certainly steal something from you even if it's of the lowest value. I once witnessed how they stole welding gloves of all fuckin' things :lol:

10 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

If someone’s doing something illegal you can either report it or ask them to stop (if they don’t there’s plenty ways to deal with it without losing your mind). 

That obviously depends on the exact illegal thing they're doing. I mean, half the time someone tries to stop someone from doing something illegal that's a 'visible' thing (so not some fraud or whatever) they end up with a knife between their ribs. I could be all heroic and say "I'd stop that robber and kick him to the ground!" but fact is one doesn't know what one would actually do when it happens.

Here the best sentiments to 'other' groups than the average is towards 'groups' (as far as you can talk about one homogenous group) that are the least present in stuff like crime rates. The higher the presence of a group in crime rates is, the more the whole group is frowned up, even though rationally one can assume a majority of said group doesn't have much to do with these crime rates.

In other words: if I'd have several and pretty much only negative experiences with Californians, at some point I'm gonna feel uncomfortable around Californians, even if I don't actually want to feel uncomfortable.