website statistics

Summer Olympic Games Paris 2024 News

12 hours ago, heywoodu said:

Dear Lord, I'm always surprised how massive the prize money is in countries outside of my own :d 

Of course a country like Guatemala doesn't have to divide it between that many athletes, but still. Awesome.

Looked up a :HUN press article about the olympic prizes in this otherwise God forsaken country:

Turns out the prize for gold medal this year is 140.000 euro, for the silver about 100.000 euro and the bronze about 82.000 euro. Even the 8th place is worth 8000 euro.

In total about 6.25 million € was paid out as olympic remuneration.

The "highest grossing" athlete was Tamara Csipes (canoeing) with 280.000 € in total.

In addition to the lump sum prizes the medallists are entitled to a lifetime monthly payment from age 35. Currently this payment is 1450 euro monthly for a gold medallist.

(The article states the amounts in the monopoly money otherwise known as :HUN forint, it was converted to euro at the exchange rate valid as of today)

3 hours ago, JoshMartini007 said:

:POR has been investing more into other sports or at the very least their athletes are getting better. While this was still technically their best Olympics ever, I thought they were actually unfortunate and could have won more medals this time around.

yes, I had some hopes for Pimenta and Jorge Fonseca for example. Also the triathlon guys did a great job, wasn’t expecting medals but their race was really good. :POR

i believe that with a better sport culture (not great for now) and a bit help from the media (giving proper space to non-football sports) things would be better.

unfortunately media interest only come after the success, and last for little time.

My best example was when Rui Costa became the first Portuguese ever Road Cycling World Champion, and not a single one Portuguese tv channel was showing his race, I was following it via YouTube or something like that.

when he won, and specially because he had beaten a Spanish in the finish line, everyone got sudden interest (tv show guest, memes, congratulated by politicians). And, like Iuri now, that interest died the next weekend when club football started again :rolleyes:

14 hours ago, heywoodu said:

Dear Lord, I'm always surprised how massive the prize money is in countries outside of my own :d 

Of course a country like Guatemala doesn't have to divide it between that many athletes, but still. Awesome.

Those are the prizes from the government, then you have what business and common people are giving, I guess that is what the original Olympians felt when returning home, hehe. Restaurants given them free food for 4 years, one supermarket gave them about US$13,000 in groceries, some other a land property, free concerts, free training at shooting ranges, beauty parlors, free flights inside Guatemala, even cooked food and free vegetables from people just offering a prize. Amazing!

This time here in Iran the sport ministry and the NOC decided to have separate prizes ! :wacko: but if we add them together considering the current exchange rate (this changes minute by minute :d)

Gold medalists received ~300,000$

silver medalists received ~135,000$

bronze medalists received ~67,000$

beside that wrestling federation paid extra 100,000$ to gold, 23,000$ to silver and 12,000$ to bronze medalists

Taekwondo federation will also pay something which is only 20% of what wrestling fed pays. (they will get bankrupted for that :d they weren't expecting 4 medals out of 4 athletes)

those were official numbers, (probably they already received it) but they will receive something from their state/province and probably even their own town. I'm afraid athletes from Tehran don't have that kind of privilege but in other provinces they usually supports their champions much better. and there are some other companies, sponsors and some rich guys paying some prize, etc.

I assume at the end of the day our gold medalists made at least 500,000$, that's still nothing compared to what local footballers earn for doing almost nothing but still not that bad.

3 hours ago, De_Gambassi said:

I wish every person in France that complains here about the coverage of non football sports opened just once one of the sports newpapers in Portugal :rolleyes:

It's like the old joke about sports newspapers in Denmark. 9 pages about handball and 3 pages for everything else. A former football keeper once told that story in Polish press, they won some big game and he thought it would be on the first page but it wasn't  because it was all handball :lol:

11 hours ago, pdr4332 said:

Looked up a :HUN press article about the olympic prizes in this otherwise God forsaken country:

Turns out the prize for gold medal this year is 140.000 euro, for the silver about 100.000 euro and the bronze about 82.000 euro. Even the 8th place is worth 8000 euro.

In total about 6.25 million € was paid out as olympic remuneration.

The "highest grossing" athlete was Tamara Csipes (canoeing) with 280.000 € in total.

In addition to the lump sum prizes the medallists are entitled to a lifetime monthly payment from age 35. Currently this payment is 1450 euro monthly for a gold medallist.

(The article states the amounts in the monopoly money otherwise known as :HUN forint, it was converted to euro at the exchange rate valid as of today)

Looked it up for the Netherlands.

Individual medals are rewarded with 30.000, 22.500 and 15.000 euro (gold, silver, bronze). What one gets in a team sport is somewhat complicated: the individual rewarded multiplied by the square root of the number of athletes in the team and all that divided by the number of athletes. However, there's a guaranteed 11.000, 8.000 or 5.000 euro, to avoid punishing big teams (field hockey).

Also, prize money for medals can not be stacked. For example Femke Bol only gets money for her individual bronze medal, because that 15.000 euro is more than the reward for the gold in the mixed relay (13.416). Harrie Lavreysen won three gold medals, two of which individually, but gets only the one 30.000 euro.

I mean, it's not nothing, but seeing all those countries throw almost literal tons at athletes.... :d 

Personally I am somewhat in favour of the 'you cant stack medals' by the way. Otherwise athletes in sports where one can simply only win 1 medal (sailing, for example) would be at a rather unfair disadvantage against athletes in traditional multi-medal sports like swimming, track cycling and to some extent athletics.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

9 hours ago, Monzanator said:

It's like the old joke about sports newspapers in Denmark. 9 pages about handball and 3 pages for everything else. A former football keeper once told that story in Polish press, they won some big game and he thought it would be on the first page but it wasn't  because it was all handball :lol:

Three pages for everything else is better than what we have here in the Philippines. The newspaper I subscribe to usually has just one page for sports and it’s got nothing worthwhile to read. :(

On 8/23/2024 at 10:50 PM, De_Gambassi said:

I wish every person in France that complains here about the coverage of non football sports opened just once one of the sports newpapers in Portugal :rolleyes:

Not sure how are they in France now but i remember looking at the Equipe newspaper and being jealous of the headlines they gave to non-football (of course football is still the big headline majority of times, but i remember seeing several times big covers for other sports, either after they win or just because some big competition was coming up).

There has been good improvements in some newspapers though. But the big problem are the tv channels, that's where the attention is given 100% to football clubs drama (almost every night there are "sport talkshows" in every channel, lasting for one or two hours, where they only talk about benfica/porto/sporting topics).

But tv channels also are mostly just a reflection of how majority of people think. For example, one of the saddest things i remember seeing while i was still living there: Nelson Évora, at the time one of the only four gold medallists in our entire history, after he won the medal, decided to change his training club (for the same reason anyone changes jobs, to get better compensation), and decided to leave Benfica and join Sporting (football club rivals from Lisbon).

Did anyone cared about triple jump at all? About athletics? No. And yet, the backlash of this was so big that people started to hate him, boo him, stop following on social networks, all this things just because he had left one football club to join some other. This was in 2016. Today, 2024, and there are still a lot of people that got happy because he didn't make it to the Olympics, because of what happened back them...

Football clubism in Portugal is a super toxic disease and one of the things that i hate there (and that i'm glad is not as bad here in NL :NED)