website statistics

Summer Olympic Games Paris 2024 News

1 hour ago, Oldira said:

True. I cannot understand the rush to get the Sevens done so early. 96 men will be out of the Olympics before it starts!!

Like others said, it's because of the athletics, but that seems like...unfortunate planning, to say the least. I definitely hope it's better next time, because it's fine to have group games and such before the opening ceremony, but every single athlete participating in the Olympics should at the very least still have a theoretical chance for gold at the moment the Games are declared open...

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Like others said, it's because of the athletics, but that seems like...unfortunate planning, to say the least. I definitely hope it's better next time, because it's fine to have group games and such before the opening ceremony, but every single athlete participating in the Olympics should at the very least still have a theoretical chance for gold at the moment the Games are declared open...

Happened several times at winter olympics that a couple of Ski Jumpers were even eliminated in the Qualifiers prior to the Opening ceremony.

Though many of them competed usually also in the Large hill later, but not necessarilly all of them

Edited by hckošice

3 minutes ago, hckošice said:

Happened several times at winter olympics that a couple of Ski Jumpers were even eliminated in the Qualifiers prior to the Opening ceremony.

Though many of them competed usually also in the Large hill later, but not necessarilly all of them

Awful. Just imagine your Olympics are already over before the Olympics are even opened :( 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Awful. Just imagine your Olympics are already over before the Olympics are even opened :( 

Well, basically that´s not so disastrous at the end, much worse is this new IOC obsession to force athletes to leave the Games and Village as early as possible after their competition, so guys like these can experience the Olympic atmosphere like 1 or max 2 days

Edited by hckošice

10 minutes ago, hckošice said:

Well, basically that´s not so disastrous at the end, much worse is this new IOC obsession to force athletes to leave the Games and Village as early as possible after their competition, so guys like these can experience the Olympic atmosphere like 1 or max 2 days

That's awful as well, but at least if you have to leave on day 2, you still managed to enjoy the opening ceremony (which surely you can't if you're there knowing your Olympics are already done) :p 

Anyway, there's also NOC's that want everyone out as quickly as possible, so...meh.

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Anyway, there's also NOC's that want everyone out as quickly as possible, so...meh.

Our NOC always blame the IOC is forcing them to send athletes home at latest 2 days after their competition, so, I am not sure how it works for the big guns obviously but for us small teams it is this way. Tury who is super excited for his olympic debut at 31 years, will compete in skateboarding already on day 1 and was already informed he have to leave the village on Monday, majority of athletes will not be even arrived to the games at that time

Edited by hckošice

30 minutes ago, hckošice said:

Our NOC always blame the IOC is forcing them to send athletes home at latest 2 days after their competition, so, I am not sure how it works for the big guns obviously but for us small teams it is this way. Tury who is super excited for his olympic debut at 31 years, will compete in skateboarding already on day 1 and was already informed he have to leave the village on Monday, majority of athletes will not be even arrived to the games at that time

Does anyone know what the official timeframe is for athletes leaving the village? Is it by NOC or IOC? I remember in Tokyo it was 24 hours after your last event, but that was during the COVID era. 

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, John Foyne said:

Does anyone know what the official timeframe is for athletes leaving the village? Is it by NOC or IOC? I remember in Tokyo it was 24 hours after your last event, but that was during the COVID era. 

Nothing official of course, just our team leader in TV said that in one of the NOC pre-games meetings they were informed that athletes are "expected" to leave at latest 2 days after their competition,

Edited by hckošice

I don’t think it’s widely enforced by all countries though. Plenty of athletes will be at finals supporting their team mates a while after they’re knocked out themselves. Maybe they’re allowed stay while their sports are still on?

Also none of the rugby players will be finished before the opening ceremony. Out of medal contention maybe, but they’ll all play games on the 27th