website statistics

Ice Hockey IIHF World Championships 2017

hckošice

MEN'S UNDER 18

WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS

8OkbIolrn8FlhggQUWWGCBBRp0uv8HQ0mwnsLWDY

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Relegation Round

Match 3
(2) Belarus BLR.gif 3 - 1 LAT.gif Latvia (1)
Period-by-Period: 2-0, 0-0, 1-1
A
pril 23rd 2016, h. 13:30, Arena Spisska Nova Ves, Spisska Nova Ves

Belarus wins decisive Game 3

Latvia relegated, Belarus stays in top division

BLR_vs_LAT_004_Channel%20Homepage%20Slid

Defenceman Artyom Borshyov assisted on two goals as Belarus beat Latvia 3-1 in the third and deciding game of the relegation series.

“It’s an amazing feeling,” Borshyov said after the game. “It’s very cool for us, especially for me because I’m the youngest player on the team. It’ll be a great tournament next year.”

Borshyov is one of four players on the Belarus roster that will be eligible to play in the top division of the 2018 IIHF Ice Hockey U18 World Championship in Russia, while Latvia will go down to Division 1, Group A.

“We played really well and it’s a great feeling,” said Belarusian defenceman Vladislav Yeryomenko. “We’re staying in the top division and that was our goal.”

Viktors Jasunovs, a forward for AIK Solna in Sweden, scored the lone Latvian goal. He is one of three players on the team eligible to return next year, so getting demoted is especially devastating for him. However, he declared: “I will do everything in my power to help get this team back into the top division.”

In all three games of this series, it seemed like the team that got off to the faster start was the one in control. After not playing their best game on Friday night, when they had a chance to wrap up the series, the Belarusians weren’t going to let it escape them a second time.

“We played much better today than Friday,” Borshyov figues. “We just played much smarter and made simpler decisions. We played our game and didn’t get away from the plan.”

First period goals from Ivan Drozhdov and Dmitri Deryabin - the latter coming with just 35 seconds on the clock - put Belarus in the driver’s seat and Latvia in a desperate situation.

“We weren’t like a team today,” said Jasunovs. “We played as individuals, not as a team.”

Try as they might, however, Latvia just couldn’t get anything going, as the Belarusian team played tight defensively. Then when Andrei Pavlenko deflected Borshyov’s shot past Niklavs Rauza with exactly 16 minutes to play, it was going to take a miracle for Latvia to win.

“I just put the puck to the net and our offensive player got his stick on it and scored,” Borshyov described. “I’m not usually part of the offence, but today our forwards were really good finishing plays. But I got two assists, so that’s fine,” he smiled.

They did get a goal with 9:27 to play, however. When two penalties gave the Latvians a two-man advantage for 58 seconds, coach Igors Smirnovs pulled Rauza to give his team a 6-on-3 advantage. They moved the puck around nicely and Jasunovs finished off the play to break the shutout.

“I waited for the pass from our defenceman (Renars Karkls) at the side of the net and I scored,” Jasunovs described. “And we got more chances after that but couldn’t score again.”

In fact, Latvia got four power plays in a row in the third period and another 6-on-3 with the goalie pulled. That one goal was all they got from it, however, as Belarus hung on to win.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MEN'S

DIVISION I GROUP A

WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS

wOdgLL7zwwgsvvPDCCy+88MKLK0Gl+n9Fdof1utL

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Round-Robin

DAY 2

Kazakhstan KAZ.gif 2 - 5 KOR.gif South Korea
Period-by-Period: 1-1, 1-0, 0-4
April 23rd 2017, h. 17:00, Palace of Sports, Kyiv

_Z7R5984.jpg?height=550&width=750

_Z7R6002.jpg?height=550&width=750

_Z7R6017.jpg?height=550&width=750

_Z7R6050.jpg?height=550&width=750

_Z7R6060.jpg?height=550&width=750

MEN'S

DIVISION I GROUP A

WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS

Round-Robin

DAY 2

Korea writes history

Beats favourite Kazakhstan 5-2

_Z7R6027_Channel%20Homepage%20Slider.jpg

Korea wanted to surprise and did it by writing history. The Olympic host country beat Kazakhstan for the first time ever, 5-2.

The win lifts Korea to first place and in a good position to earn promotion to the 2018 IIHF Ice Hockey World Championship in Denmark with three more games to go.

“What a game! We gained momentum. Kazakhstan is a very hard team to play and we’re fortunate to come out with a win. The more experiences we have in games with teams like Kazakhstan the better we get. We historically don’t have that much experience against teams like Kazakhstan so that helps us,” Korean head coach Jim Paek said.

The game ended a series of eight consecutive wins for Kazakhstan in Division I play since losing the last game 2-1 against Hungary four years ago in Budapest. In the teams’ last encounters Kazakhstan beat Korea 4-0 at the 2017 Asian Winter Games and 4-2 at the 2013 IIHF Ice Hockey World Championship Division I Group A.

“Our competitor was a very strong team. They played much better than us especially in the third period. We were simply not good enough today,” said Kazakhstan head coach Eduard Zankovets.

The defeat looked avoidable at first considering that Kazakhstan had more shots and started the game with a nice goal. Brandon Bochenski sent a drop pass to Nigel Dawes, who fed Bochenski to the front so he could open the scoring at 8:01.

Jin Hui Ahn tied it up at 15:56 as he reacted fastest after a face-off in the offensive zone won by Kisung Kim for the 1-1 first-period score.

At 13:25 of the second period Dawes scored his third goal of the tournament converting a pass from the end boards by Martin St-Pierre to give Kazakhstan a 2-1 lead going into the third period.

Early in the last frame the game was interrupted to repair a small break in the boards and once it continued the Koreans scored. Alex Plante, a former first-round draft pick of the Edmonton Oilers who moved to Korea two years ago, one-timed a Minho Cho pass at 5:49. And just 74 seconds later the Koreans capitalized on a counter-attack with Sanghoon Shin hammering the puck in top-shelf from the left face-off circle.

At 9:58 Plante scored on a long shot to make it 4-2 and forcing Kazakhstan coach Eduard Zankovets to use his time-out.

The Kazakhs still had ten minutes to get back into the game but a major penalty against Alexander Lipin for boarding didn’t make it easier. The Koreans reacted immediately with Kisung Kim deking Vitali Kolesnik with 8:19 left on a two-man advantage.

The 5-2 score stayed until the end and Korea celebrated a historic win.

MEN'S

DIVISION I GROUP A

WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS

Round-Robin

DAY 2

HIGHLIGHTS

12 minutes ago, rybak said:

That's correct :lol:

Kazakhstan played a hard game yesterday night against Austria and today afternoon they had to play again. Hungary will play tomorrow night against Austria and the next day Hungary will play against Korea just like Kazakhstan today. Is it fair?

Przed chwilą, lapaj napisał:

Kazakhstan played a hard game yesterday night against Austria and today afternoon they had to play again. Hungary will play tomorrow night against Austria and the next day Hungary will play against Korea just like Kazakhstan today. Is it fair?

No, it isn't fair, but what we can do? :dunno: I was talking that many players in Korean team are former Canadians, which also if unfair.

1 minute ago, rybak said:

No, it isn't fair, but what we can do? :dunno: I was talking that many players in Korean team are former Canadians, which also if unfair.

well it´s not that Kazakhstan is a 100% Kazakhs team neither :lol: in fact KAZ has more Canadian/USA naturalized players in their roster than S. Korea :evil: but yeah taht still not change the fact that Korea has them a lot too ofc but still less than KAZ

7 minutes ago, rybak said:

I see. I just angry to them on another way!

7 minutes ago, hckosice said:

well it´s not that Kazakhstan is a 100% Kazakhs team neither :lol: in fact KAZ has more Canadian/USA naturalized players in their roster than S. Korea :evil: but yeah taht still not change the fact that Korea has them a lot too ofc but still less than KAZ

So Canada C defeated Canada B. But I can't say a word. Hungary has four Canadian too.