website statistics

Ice Hockey IIHF World Championships 2017

hckošice

8 minut temu, hckosice napisał:

well it´s not that Kazakhstan is a 100% Kazakhs team neither :lol: in fact KAZ has more Canadian/USA naturalized players in their roster than S. Korea :evil: but yeah taht still not change the fact that Korea has them a lot too ofc but still less than KAZ

I not follow ice hockey too much, so I didn't knew that Kazakhstan also have many naturalized players. It's bad that they prefer "buy" good Canadians and Americans instead invest for own players :/  It's unfair to other teams which have only own players.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MEN'S UNDER 18

WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS

8OkbIolrn8FlhggQUWWGCBBRp0uv8HQ0mwnsLWDY

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bronze Medal Match
Russia RUS.gif 3 - 0 SWE.gif Sweden
Period-by-Period: 1-0, 1-0, 1-0
April 23rd 2017, h. 15:30, Poprad Arena, Poprad

Russians take bronze, 3-0

Misfiring Swedes can't capitalize on chances

CRD_4123.jpg?height=550&width=750

Sweden had the better of play, created more scoring chances, and had the puck more, but Russia scored the goals, taking the bronze with a 3-0 win over Sweden.

The medal was Russia's first in six years at the men's U18. The last one was a bronze in 2011.

"It’s not first place," said Kirill Maximov, "but it’s still a medal, and it’s a good result after the semi-final yesterday. I think we played well as a team and we got a medal - not exactly the one we wanted, but it’s better than nothing."

Sweden, last year's runner-up, finished in fourth place this year.

"It’s a real disappointment," offered Swedish coach Torgny Bendelin. "Absolutely. You have to capitalize on your chances. We gave them a power play - a simple mistake and they scored there. The second goal was a terrible mistake from us, and they scored on their chances. Then they played very solid defence after that. We had a few chances, but we didn’t score on them."

Kirill Ustimenko stopped 30 shots to record the shutout while Adam Ahman blocked 22 of 24 in the Sweden goal.He was a surprise starter given that Maxim Zhukov had played the last three games in a row.

"The overtime goal yesterday [in a loss to Finland] wasn’t a very good one, and we didn’t want to take the risk of putting Zhukov in because we didn’t think he was in the right mental state," Russian coach Sergei Golubovich revealed. "We thought Ustimenko was the right choice. He did a great job tonight."

This was the first shutout ever in a U18 bronze-medal game since the current playoff format started in 2003.

The team's had identical records head-to-head before the game, splitting 12 games and scoring 35 goals each. As of today, Russia now has a 7-6 advantage and has scored more goals. 

The game featured just four minor penalties, two a side, and was played at a brisk clip.

Russia opened the scoring late in the first period on a great second effort by Danila Galeniuk on a power play. He deftly tipped Andrei Svechnikov's shot, but it hit the post and landed right there. Falling, Galeniuk nudged the puck over the line before Ahman could react.

The Russians made it 2-0 early in the second when a wayward pass up the middle was picked off by Dmitri Samorukov. He kept the puck in at the Sweden blue line, took a couple of steps and then ripped a wicked shot over Ahman's glove.

Sweden had several opportunities to get back in the game but fired wide or failed to finish time and again. The most glaring passed chance came on a penalty shot midway through the game. Lucas Elvenes was stopped by Kirill Ustimenko.

Svechniov had two great chances to add to the Russian tally in the third, making one great rush and snapping a quick shot frmthe slot, but both chances were stopped expertly by Ahman.

Kirill Maximov finished the scoring with an empty netter with 15 seconds remaining.

"It definitely wasn’t our best game," said Erik Brannstrom. "We were at our best against Canada. I don’t know what to say. I’m very disappointed. We had lots of shots, but we didn’t score. We didn’t play such a bad game, but it wasn’t good enough."

4 minutes ago, rybak said:

I not follow ice hockey too much, so I didn't knew that Kazakhstan also have many naturalized players. It's bad that they prefer "buy" good Canadians and Americans instead invest for own players :/  It's unfair to other teams which have only own players.

Kazakhstan:

Kevin Dallman

Nigel Dawes

Dustin Boyd

Martin St. Pierre

Brandon Bochenski

+ Artemi Lakiza is a former Russian player.

South Korea:

Matt Dalton

Alex Plante

Michael Swift

Eric Regan

yep I agree, this is pretty weird, because in opposite of Korea, Kazakhstan has a quite good history in this sport and many many talented players, but well, they wanted to win successes rapidly and they decided to go this way, building quickly a strong KHL team Barys Astana, buy many North Americans to this club and naturalize them. now they all play in KAZ National Team, but without real successes

16 minutes ago, lapaj said:

So Canada C defeated Canada B. But I can't say a word. Hungary has four Canadian too.

yes I am surprised to see 4 of them, it looks the amount is rising, last year at world champs you had (if I´m not mistaken) only 2 Andy Sarauer and Kevin Wehrs.

5 minutes ago, hckosice said:

yes I am surprised to see 4 of them, it looks the amount is rising, last year at world champs you had (if I´m not mistaken) only 2 Andy Sarauer and Kevin Wehrs.

There were Kalvin Sagert and Frank Banham too!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hungary_men's_national_ice_hockey_team

MEN'S

DIVISION I GROUP A

WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS

wOdgLL7zwwgsvvPDCCy+88MKLK0Gl+n9Fdof1utL

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Round-Robin

DAY 2

Poland POL.gif 2 - 1 UKR.gif Ukraine
Period-by-Period: 1-0, 0-1, 1-0
April 23rd 2017, h. 20:30, Palace of Sports, Kyiv

Round-Robin Provisional Standing After Day 2

Nation
P
W(OTW)
L(OTL)
GF
GA
+/-
Pt.
KOR.gif South Korea
2(0)
0(0)
+5
HUN.gif Hungary
1(0)
0(0)
+2
POL.gif Poland
1(0)
1(0)
KAZ.gif Kazakhstan
1(0)
1(0)
AUT.gif Austria
0(0)
1(0)
UKR.gif Ukraine
0(0)
2(0)

_Z7R6129.jpg?height=550&width=750

_Z7R6188.jpg?height=550&width=750

_Z7R6198.jpg?height=550&width=750

_Z7R6163.jpg?height=550&width=750

_Z7R6162.jpg?height=550&width=750

MEN'S

DIVISION I GROUP A

WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS

Round-Robin

DAY 2

Poland wins neighbouring clash

Host Ukraine remains winless after two games

_Z7R6162.jpg?height=550&width=750

On Day 2 of the 2017 IIHF Ice Hockey World Championship Division I Group A, Poland got its first victory against Ukraine. The hosts remain winless.

The two teams delivered the 5,291 fans a tight battle in which Damian Kapica broke the deadlock with the 2-1 game-winner at 6:34 of the last period. Polish goalie Przemyslaw Odrobny made 37 saves and was selected as best player of his team.

“The third period was really tough for a goalie. I got a lot of shots onto the net. The first and second period we played very well on defence and in the neutral zone, I didn’t face too many shots. We’re so happy that we came back after losing the first game. It’s always hard to play the first game. I think this win will be a game changer for the next game. Everybody still believes that we have a chance to earn promotion,” Odrobny said.

“We are very, very happy that we won this game. It was really tight. It could have been a win for any team. Both goalies played really good,” added Poland’s assistant coach Torbjorn Johansson.

Four-and-a-half years ago the home crowd cheered on a 5-1 win for Ukraine in the Olympic Qualification campaign against Poland at the very same Palace of Sports in Kyiv and one year later Ukraine beat Poland 4-3 in a game on home ice in Donetsk for promotion to the Division I Group A.

This time it’s the other way around. Like at the IIHF Ice Hockey World Championship Division I Group A two years ago, when Poland won 3-2 in Krakow and Ukraine was relegated, Poland edged out its southeastern neighbour for another tight win that puts the hosts in a tough position.

“It’s very tough to lose. Our players played well but when it comes to scoring I’d wish a not so academic style of play in front of the net but just to score more. That’s our weak point,” said Ukrainian head coach Olexander Savitsky, who had to do without Artem Bondaryev, who suffered a knee injury. “We are waiting for more information from the doctors.”

The Ukrainians had a good first period but didn’t manage to score. At 3:46 Sergei Kuzmik intercepted a puck but his shot landed into the glove of Polish netminder Odrobny as did many other shots.

Poland did it better with four seconds left in the first period and on its first power play. Tomasz Malasinski scored after a pass from behind the net from Grzegorz Pasiut.

Ukraine wanted to come back in the second period but for a long time failed in front of the Polish net. But eventually the equalizer came, and it came late again. With Ukraine’s Dmytro Nimenko and Polish defenceman Mateusz Rompkowski screening the goalie a shot from Roman Blagy found its way between the two and into the Polish net to tie the game at one.

In the third period it was Kapica who scored the game-winning goal when he first deked defenceman Olexander Pobiedonostsev at the left face-off circle before scoring the much-sought-after goal from central position.

An opportunity to equalize knocked when Poland got two consecutive penalties midway the period and Ukraine head coach Savitsky took his time-out. But the host nation didn’t capitalize on its chances and once the power play was over had to play with one man less when Denys Isayenko was assessed a hooking penalty when he tried to prevent a Polish breakaway. Once it expired the Ukrainians had just three-and-a-half minutes left but didn’t find a way to score again.

MEN'S

DIVISION I GROUP A

WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS

Round-Robin

DAY 2

HIGHLIGHTS