website statistics

Swimming Qualification for Summer Olympic Games 2016

MantaRaymarc

6 hours ago, uk12points said:

Wow, your analysis is amazing. I agree with you about the overall results, they are dissapointing, but I think the selectors have made it clear over the years that if you are close enough you will qualify, therefore many athletes won't have peaked and swam similar times to the Aussies in their trials. Honestly, I doubt there will be many suprises when the team is revealed, and most people on your list will probably be on the plane to Belo Horizonte (the Gb training camp). One positive sign is that people seem to be saving themselves for Rio, building their season steadily with 1 ultimae goal, the Olympics.

I agree with your medal predictions but a lot will rely on how well the Aussies and Americans perform on the big stage and whether China up their game as to how many medals we can achieve. The traget for all sports is to equal/beat London 2012 and with 3 medals in London swimming should exceed London 2012 and help to compensate for the anticipated loss of medals in Cycling. Overall I would rather have a rubbish trials and a brilliant games than the other way round, if they put in the effort from here we could have some fantastic results come Rio 2016.

Its very well possible that Guy, Peaty, SMOC, CWH, Carlin or Halsall will perform better at the olympics. They knew that no one would be able to beat them at the trials and that they would come very close to the standard, so they didnt need to be at 100%. On the other hand athletes like Shuttleworth, Tutton or Litchfield might have peaked for this and they might be slower in Rio. I think Australia has shown at the last world championships that they learned how to perform at their best when it matters. I see at least 8 gold medals for Australia, USA will be clearly better than last year. I think 3 medals should be safe for you (2 x Guy + Peaty). All your other medal contenders will have to perform at their best for a medal. Carlin (Ledecky, Boyle, Ashwood, Van Rouwendaal, McLean), Halsall (C. Campbell, B. Campbell, Kromowidjojo, Sjöstrom), your mens 800 free relay (Australia, USA and France) and SMOC (Hosszu, Watanabe, DiRado) all have at least 3 very strong opponents. I think you can be very optimistic that you will win at least 4 medals. I think your goal of winning as many medals as in 2012 is extremely optimistic, i think you should be happy with 50 medals overall and i would really like to hear how you want to win more than 60 medals?

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

:BRA Maria Lenk Trophy (Brazilian trials) - Day 4

Men's 100m Freestyle - Marcelo Chierighini (48.20) and Nicolas Oliveira (48.30)

Men's 200m Breaststroke - Tales Cerdeira (2:10.99) and Thiago Simon (2:11.29)

No athletes achieved the standard in Women's 200m Butterfly. Our Men's 4x100 Freestyle Relay will be completed by João de Lucca and Matheus Santana.

7 hours ago, vinipereira said:

:BRA Maria Lenk Trophy (Brazilian trials) - Day 4

Men's 100m Freestyle - Marcelo Chierighini (48.20) and Nicolas Oliveira (48.30)

Men's 200m Breaststroke - Tales Cerdeira (2:10.99) and Thiago Simon (2:11.29)

No athletes achieved the standard in Women's 200m Butterfly. Our Men's 4x100 Freestyle Relay will be completed by João de Lucca and Matheus Santana.

During the Youth Olympics in 2014 I had predicted Santana would go for a medal in the 100 free this year. Unfortunately it seems his development came to a bit of a halt since then (despite the semi-final in Beijing last year) so that's not gonna happen, but it's really good to see he will represent Brazil in the 4x100 :clap:

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

On 16.4.2016 at 6:49 AM, Gianlu33 said:

Joao Gomez was the ex doped? Or He was another people?

I think Cielo, De Paula and Santos also have been caught before. De Paul made the team, but i am not sure if Cielo and Santos also will be on the team. It would be really funny if Brazil would compete with 4 cheater in Rio, even Russia will have less cheaters on the team. :clap:

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

:ITA Italian Championship (1st Trials) - Day 1:ITA 

Men's 100m Backstroke - 53.4

Simone Sabbioni 53.34

Women's 100m Backstroke - 1:00.00

No athletes qualified

Women's 400m Freestyle - 4:05.50

No athletes qualified

Men's 1500m Freestyle - 15:00.00

Gabriele Detti 14:46.48

Women's 200m Butterfly - 2:08.20

No athletes qualified

Men's 100m Freestyle - 48.50

Luca Dotto 48.40

:ITACurrent Italian Team:ITA 

Men's 100m Freestyle

Luca Dotto

Women's 200m Freestyle

Federica Pellegrini

Men's 1500m Freestyle

Gregorio Paltrinieri

Gabriele Detti

Men's 100m Backstroke 

Simone Sabbioni 

Men's 4x100m Freestyle Realey

TBD

TBD

TBD

TBD

Men's 4x100m Medly Realey

TBD

TBD

TBD

TBD

Women's 4x100m Freestyle Realey

TBD

TBD

TBD

TBD

Women's 4x200m Freestyle Realey

TBD

TBD

TBD

TBD

Women's 4x100m Medly Realey

TBD

TBD

TBD

TBD

Edited by Gianlu33

:RUS Russian Trails - Day 4

Women's 200m Freestyle - Veronika Popova, Viktoriia Andreeva

Women's 200m IM - Viktoriia Andreeva

Nobody qualified in the men's 200m butterfly. Very impressive that Andreeva qualified in two events on the same day.

:BRA Maria Lenk Trophy (Brazilian trials) - Day 5

Men's 200m Backstroke - Leonardo de Deus (1:57.43)

Men's 200m Individual Medley - Henrique Rodrigues (1:57.91) and Thiago Pereira (1:57.91)

Women's 100m Freestyle - Larissa Oliveira (54.03) and Etiene Medeiros (54.26)

Nobody qualified for Women's 200m Breaststroke. Tomorrow the last day with some big finals (including Men's 50m Freestyle).

:ITA Italian Championships - Day 2 Heats

Piero Codia swam 51.42 (new National Record) in the 100m Fly heats (4th best time of 2016, behind Zuhao Li, CHN - the best so far this year with 51.17 - Konrad Czerniak, POL and Laszlo Cseh, HUN)...

this time would have match the Italian Olympic selection criteria, but only the final counts, so, he has to repeat himself in the afternoon to earn his Rio ticket...

Matteo Rivolta was second in the heats of the same discipline with 51.71, just 7/100 of a second outside his old National Record...but later today he needs to swim at least 2/100 faster if he wants to go to Rio, even by finishing in second place...