website statistics

Olympic sports program review

1 hour ago, De_Gambassi said:

Well, with all of these sport combined, you barely have more events that swimming.

So if karate and other sports added should swimming or athletics events reduced to 20 -25?

12 minutes ago, Orangehair43 said:

Eight teams in Synchro diving has been the case since they came in for Sydney so not a victim of recent cuts or anything. 

Doesn't make it great.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

46 minutes ago, Orangehair43 said:

I think the mixed relay in athletics needs unlimited changes like all the other relays. 

If they must have mixed relays I would prefer a new distance that doesn't already have a relay. Maybe 800m. Why is it that the 400 m runners deserves two?

1 hour ago, Orangehair43 said:

Eight teams in Synchro diving has been the case since they came in for Sydney so not a victim of recent cuts or anything. 

Yea. I also never understood why they don't allow countries who qualify 2 in the individual event the option to pair up in synchro.

2 hours ago, Jur said:

Men's football should be down to 12 teams.

Agree. And its not that hard to do it in terms of the qualification process. 3 places for Europe, 2 North America, 2 South America, 2 Asia, 2 Africa and 1 Oceania. Its still pretty equal and balanced.

Taekwondo mixed team might be a nice addition, especially given the scoring system might allow for teams with some exceptional athletes to have a higher weighting compared to the judo mixed team.

Football down to 12 teams or even eight. No one cares about it at Olympics. Although I love football, I don’t even know who won the medals as it’s basically a junior event. 

Karate no, most boring event I watched. 
to compare taekwondo with karate shows you have no clue. Actually I think taekwondo needs more quota as it is one of the most universal sports at Olympics. 16 per category is too little considering they merge categories for Olympics. Same for wrestling. 

Boxing out, too much corruption. They need a break. 

Penthatlon out. Without equestrian will be a joke event. 

cricket, I don’t need it, but let’s see how it works in LA. 

baseball: if the Major league doesn’t participate out, would mean out for softball as well. 

sports as fencing and gymnastics need a new qualification system as it favors too much the big nations/teams. 

artistic swimming out if there is no male event. Same applies unfortunatly to GR wrestling. And Rhytmic gymnastics. If we want equality then everywhere please. 

cyling track: too many events, cut it. 

I think squash deserves a chance. Breaking is gone good. Flag football is a joke. Padel will come in 2032 or 36, great to watch. 

and we need a different qualification system in general for Australia/NZL, too many free quotas. 

2 hours ago, intoronto said:

Yea. I also never understood why they don't allow countries who qualify 2 in the individual event the option to pair up in synchro.

I think there's a big drop off from the top 4-5 teams in the synchro events. There's no benefit, in my mind, to adding more teams. 

What I like about synchro is that it's one and done. I think the individual diving events could drop the semis. I get their purpose, but it's just a lot. Should be like athletics, 18 divers get to the final and after 3 dives it gets cut to the top 8. Or something like that. 

I'll eventually add my thoughts on the whole programme, but generally I like having more sports, less filler within each sport (i.e. semis in diving, 200m swimming).