website statistics

Summer Olympic Games Paris 2024 Medal Count

Some observations on a few other nations.

:NZL New Zealand continue their leadership in the category of "Most wins and medals compared to the population and territory of the country". Their sporting success and consistency every Summer Olympics is admirable. 

:NED Netherlands officially confirmed their status as a member of the "Big Boys Club". Second consecutive Summer Games with over 30 medals, but with a better conversion into Golds and 6th place in the table. In Tokyo they were 7th. Add to that the last 3 Winter ones, where they were 5, 5 and 6th and it shows how they have steadily risen in the ranks. 

Sure, the majority of their medals came from cycling, rowing and athletics, but that just means they are perfectly escalating in the traditionally strong sports for them. Know what you are good at.

:UZB Uzbekistan also had their best Games ever and so much better than in Tokyo. Their stronghold is boxing, but also have done very good in the other combat sports. Once again the motto of "know what you are good at". I think they were slightly pushed in some boxing matches, but in general their fighters are amongst the best in this version of boxing.

:CAN Canada is also steadily improving, but unlike :NED and :UZB their progress is seen in a large variety of sports. Sure, they have a superstar like McIntosh who brought many of the swimming medals, but i was watching a number of other sports and they had Canadians fighting for top positions everywhere. Sports, which you wouldn't associate with Canada in the past years. Don't know what has changed, but they have broaden their sporting horizon. If things continue like this, by LA 28 they would be in the :GER - :FRA - :ITA - :NED fight. 

Also with the US being hosts, they will have a much easier path in the qualifications without the Americans, so their delegation will be 350-400 in 2028 i reckon.

1 hour ago, Mclancer said:

Canada has set new records for Gold and Total medals!!! (for a non-boycotted games)
Old records were 7 Golds and 24 Totals. New records are 9 Golds and 27 Totals medals.

We even had 2 gold favourites (Warner and Mitchell) who did not medal at all.

We also had quite a few predicted medallist who also did not medal.

Maybe 10 and 30 next time?

Mitchell? Please don’t tell me that you are talking about women’s track cycling sprint …

Calling her the favorite is like calling Germany the favorite in women’s basketball.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

2 hours ago, Maxim Fastovsky said:

And another domination by the best nation!!! Since 2028 will be a total domination (at least 50 gold is my bet) China should start working on their 2032 hopefuls

Are you actively trying to make the U.S. even less popular or do you just not realize how annoying you are? Even beatmen is less biased than you are.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

3 minutes ago, OlympicsFan said:

Are you actively trying to make the U.S. even less popular or do you just not realize how annoying you are? Even beatmen is less biased than 

Who is not biased??? It's the Olympics and you want your country to succeed!!

Edited by AmericanHero40

1 hour ago, Ted said:

Competing in your backyard (the USA) makes it seem quite possible, doesn't it?

That's right, we tend to do better in the USA (but sucked in Montreal and Calgary, lol)
Canadians and Americans are very similar types of people, (we are just not as outgoing, lol) 

1 hour ago, Mclancer said:

Canada has set new records for Gold and Total medals!!! (for a non-boycotted games)
Old records were 7 Golds and 24 Totals. New records are 9 Golds and 27 Totals medals.

We even had 2 gold favourites (Warner and Mitchell) who did not medal at all.

We also had quite a few predicted medallist who also did not medal.

Maybe 10 and 30 next time?

In addition to Canada beating their non-boycott records in golds/total medals, they also won medals in the most sports ever (including 1984). 15 sports, 8 new ones from Tokyo. That is very encouraging. 

As you said, there were some high profile disappointments - decathlon, shot put, judo, boxing, and track cycling (apparently the whole team got a stomach virus and almost didn't compete at all). But there were some out of nowhere surprises - fencing, rugby, tennis, 4x100 relay (surprise gold at least). 

As usual, we got an incredible amount of 4ths. I think the final tally was 15. If you take 5ths from combat sports it goes up close to 20. That is crazy compared to 27 total medals. Wouldn't be so bad if it didn't quite literally happen every single Olympics. 

Overall, a great success for Canada in 2024. Many of the new medalists are young and will improve over the next 4 years. 

24 minutes ago, OlympicsFan said:

Mitchell? Please don’t tell me that you are talking about women’s track cycling sprint …

Calling her the favorite is like calling Germany the favorite in women’s basketball.

I meant to say Mitton, not Mitchell (crap, I knew it started with an "M" lol)

Since been corrected.

Edited by Mclancer

Canada's Vincent beat the American woman for gold by 1/100 of a second in canoe. In a fun, family rivalry way, it would have been hilarious if that's what put the US second on the overall table in the end. 

39 minutes ago, Federer91 said:

Some observations on a few other nations.

To add on that, :SWE Sweden is constantly improving the rankings from having no gold in Beijing, 1 in London, 2 in Rio, then 3 from Tokyo and now 4. They are back in the top 20, along with :NOR Norway. Another country not really on the radar is :BEL Belgium with double digit medals for the first time since 1924.