website statistics

Things You Would Change in Sports?

Olympics wise, I would

• Split the summer Olympics in two (outdoor and indoor or whatever)
  • Allow a shit load of mew quotas
  • Let every sports have up to two representatives per country per event 
  • Drop the additional sports thing and bring demonstration sports back (up to two sports let's say) as full medals events

I thought of some different kind of changes when I saw the thread title:

The dependance on gambling ads in nearly all sports.

Stopping the decline of 'grassroots' club level sports

More sports on public TV instead of every sport isolating itself on its own pay per view platform like Volleyballtv and whatever other sports have created.

9 minutes ago, Jinzha said:

I thought of some different kind of changes when I saw the thread title:

The dependance on gambling ads in nearly all sports.

Stopping the decline of 'grassroots' club level sports

More sports on public TV instead of every sport isolating itself on its own pay per view platform like Volleyballtv and whatever other sports have created.

THIS!!

Going to mostly limit this to the Olympics.

• Expand the Summer Olympics to three weeks to allow for more athletes / sports / events without balloning costs.
  • Specifically, have a rotation of which athletes are there. I like the idea of having one week tentpolled by swimming, one week tentpolled by Gymnastics and one week tentpolled by Athletics.
  • Eliminate Modern Pentathlon from the Olympics
  • Expand the athlete quota for the Winter Olympics to around 3,500, reverse athlete quota cuts and add some new non-traditional sports (especially ice climbing, cross country running, cyclocross and snow volleyball) to add appeal for more non-traditional winter sports countries.
  • Obviously, lets also expand the program for the Winter Olympics to include things like freeride, rail jam and a team moguls event :D

And the big one:

• Create a "mind and skill sport" Olympic games, name still a work in progress. Would be a home for stuff like e-sports, chess, go, bowling, cue sports, perhaps even motorsports.

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, NearPup said:

• Expand the Summer Olympics to three weeks to allow for more athletes / sports / events without balloning costs.
  • Specifically, have a rotation of which athletes are there. I like the idea of having one week tentpolled by swimming, one week tentpolled by Gymnastics and one week tentpolled by Athletics.
  • Expand the athlete quota for the Winter Olympics to around 3,500, reverse athlete quota cuts and add some new non-traditional sports (especially ice climbing, cross country running, cyclocross and snow volleyball) to add appeal for more non-traditional winter sports countries.
  • Obviously, lets also expand the program for the Winter Olympics to include things like freeride, rail jam and a team moguls event :D

And the big one:

• Create a "mind and skill sport" Olympic games, name still a work in progress. Would be a home for stuff like e-sports, chess, go, bowling, cue sports, perhaps even motorsports.

Wouldnt mind seeing telemark skiing too. Not a big fan of a mind and skill Olympics though. 

Edited by Josh

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, NearPup said:

And the big one:

I agree with having it 3 weeks, but I’m not sure that I would like having each week split apart to dedicated sports. I quite like having the ability to flip between different sports as it makes it feel more like a singular event compared to back to back championships.

Edited by TeamGB

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, TeamGB said:

I agree with having it 3 weeks, but I’m not sure that I would like having each week split apart to dedicated sports. I quite like having the ability to flip between different sports as it makes it feel more like a singular event compared to back to back championships.

We already do that split though - the first week is 'tentpoled' by Swimming and the second by athletics; what is being suggested is simply having a third 'tentpole' - the only change I'd make is that I'd add cycling to gymnastics to keep the second week tight.

I've always liked the three week idea as it gives time for variety, ebb and flow. I would also have a mid games 'ceremony' to celebrate for the first tranch of leavers and the second tranch of arrivals.

I'd make a 'free sport in the city' a centre piece of each of the four week ends - Weekend 1: Cycling Road Races. Weekend 2: Individual Triathlons and cycllng TT. Weekend 3: Race walks and Triathlon relay. Weekend 4 Marathons.

I would not leave the main stadium empty for a week. Sevens should be there through most of week 2.

I would introduce a form of field archery at the mountain bike circuit when the bikers are done.

I'd bring back karate, and make a point of having the three oriental combat sports back to back to back  using the same venue -  a real life fight club.

I'd do something in the urban core not dissimilar to free sport in the city, some kind of pop up ampithetre for BMX freestyle flatland, parkour etc

What other sports could share venues in a longer games to reduce costs?

i'd also suggest rotating some big team sports; Baseball and Cricket, most obviously - once every eight years would really make each event mean something, and the larger family of bat-and-ball sports would always be represented.

Edited by mpjmcevoy

Every Olympic medal event must have the support of a minimum  of 10% of all NOCs (currently that's 21 countries)) with ño continent having more than half of these NOCs

There are so many events-especially in the Winter Games -which are just not really very international (although they can be demonstration sports)

7 hours ago, rajiv said:

Every Olympic medal event must have the support of a minimum  of 10% of all NOCs (currently that's 21 countries)) with ño continent having more than half of these NOCs

There are so many events-especially in the Winter Games -which are just not really very international (although they can be demonstration sports)

Yes for snowboarding as a demonstration sport for Doha 2036 !