website statistics

Team GB at the World Athletics Relays Road to Paris 2024

I don't think anyone doubted that Amber would have a strong year after her indoor improvements. I fully expect her to go under 50 at some point this year.

But keeping spring NCAA form into the summer is not guaranteed. We only have to look at Britton Wilson last year. Even Adeleke - who held her form better than Wilson did - was over half a second slower in Budapest than she was at the NCAA champs.

It's great overall to see Amber's progression. It just might not work out this specific summer. Obviously, I hope I'm wrong.

• 3 weeks later...

Start lists for day 1 heats published - https://worldathletics.org/competiti...as24/timetable

GBR has the following:

MX 4x4 - Heat 3 - :GUY, :ESP, :SUI, :GBR, :POR, :BEL, :IRL, :KEN
W 4x1 - Heat 4 - :AUT, :BAH, :CUB, :GBR, :TTO, :LBR, :NED, :HUN
M 4x1 - Heat 2 - :TUR, :ESP, :POL, :GBR, :TTO, :FRA, :NGR, :SUI
W 4x4 - Heat 2 - :COL, :UKR, :CUB, :IRL, :CZE, :GBR, :DOM
M 4x4 - Heat 3 - :VEN, :SEN, :KEN, :NED, :ITA, :QAT, :GBR, :BAH

7 minutes ago, Epic Failure said:

Start lists for day 1 heats published - https://worldathletics.org/competiti...as24/timetable

GBR has the following:

MX 4x4 - Heat 3 - :GUY, :ESP, :SUI, :GBR, :POR, :BEL, :IRL, :KEN
W 4x1 - Heat 4 - :AUT, :BAH, :CUB, :GBR, :TTO, :LBR, :NED, :HUN
M 4x1 - Heat 2 - :TUR, :ESP, :POL, :GBR, :TTO, :FRA, :NGR, :SUI
W 4x4 - Heat 2 - :COL, :UKR, :CUB, :IRL, :CZE, :GBR, :DOM
M 4x4 - Heat 3 - :VEN, :SEN, :KEN, :NED, :ITA, :QAT, :GBR, :BAH

Have to say a few kind draws there for GBR; Not impossible they bank all 5 on day 1 - M4x1 in particular seems to have been fortunate. Ireland would look at the Mixed heat and think it's tough but possible. W4x4 is defo possible.

I'm internally trying to work out how they came up with the draws for the first round and even more fascinated how they are going to do the draw for round 2, given the stakes.

I'd agree that none of the draws are particularly scary, for either GBR or Ireland. More than anything, I have the inevitable baton worries that come with the sprint relays especially.

It'll be interesting to see who lines up for what - in theory Paulino is down only for the mixed 4x4 for the Dominican Republic, which would likely make Ireland's job in the women's 4x4 easier if that were the case. But I trust those entry lists about as far as I can throw them.

Switching to the dedicated thread for WA Relays - just looking at the start list for GB and it's a pretty stacked heat. Anyone know where they get the :GBR SB as 47.75? Seems awfully slow compared to the other nations.

2 minutes ago, Rafa Maciel said:

Switching to the dedicated thread for WA Relays - just looking at the start list for GB and it's a pretty stacked heat. Anyone know where they get the :GBR SB as 47.75? Seems awfully slow compared to the other nations.

It's a Birmingham University team from a meet in Philadelphia according to WA.