website statistics

British Swimming Championships 2024 Road to Paris 2024

2 hours ago, Olympicsnell said:

James Guy on instagram had posted that he has been officially selected for the olympics, however that post has vanished now, hopefully that means team news is out soon and he had to take it down because they are still notifying everyone  

The team is not due to be announced until the press conference on the 16th. 

1 hour ago, mpjmcevoy said:

Cycling, like Triathlon and Gymnastics, don't select purely on finishing places so the presentation would need to be different to swimming/athletics, but I still think there's gas in integrated able-bodied and Para sport in GB, with C4 and BBC co-operating (and splitting costs), and it having an input into the nomination process while creating a series of 'Road to the Games' events that can be win win for all concerned - at it's most extreme, you can run multiclass para athletics events so that the British championships last significantly longer while still having a full schedule, and introducing folk to the likely Para stars of the Olympics/Worlds/Europeans as well as the able bodied players

The problem is with the invite system is you would be making people more aware of people you then turning down an offer to have them at the games. Rejecting invites is already controversial enough.

Edited by Orangehair43

2 minutes ago, Orangehair43 said:

The team is not due to be announced until the press conference on the 16th. 

yes but you also said GB wern't sending a team to the euro's so i'll wait for a second opinion

On 4/7/2024 at 9:23 PM, Cinnamon Bun said:

Based off of tonight I think the following come in as discretionary picks:

Anderson

Okoro

Evans

Bird

Whittle

Wilby

Cox

I believe the first 6 are pretty much safe, but Whittle can count himself lucky. 

In terms of the last spot, I was torn between Cox and Hanlon. But given Cox is a finalist candidate I reckon she'll get the nod over Kara. 

I also think Guy will swim the individual 100 fly in Paris, and only do the 200 free relay. 

I’m not sure about those going for so far non confirmed relays. Might only take thise who can cover the five that are secure. 

So our very own Nostradamus, with his endless stream of dire predictions, has been proved wrong........yet again. Maybe this time he will acknowledge that he was talking utter rubbish but I won't hold my breath. 

No Jacob Peters - massive hit to the medley relays. 😢 they clearly are prioritising the men’s free relays above the medley relays with macmillan and whittle both getting rather fortuitous picks in my view. I thought we had a genuine medal chance in the men’s medley relay and possibly the mixed too but GB Aquatics clearly don’t share the same optimism.

5 minutes ago, RussB said:

No Jacob Peters - massive hit to the medley relays. 😢 they clearly are prioritising the men’s free relays above the medley relays with macmillan and whittle both getting rather fortuitous picks in my view. I thought we had a genuine medal chance in the men’s medley relay and possibly the mixed too but GB Aquatics clearly don’t share the same optimism.

James Guy can swim if he proves form

Just now, TeamGB said:

James Guy can swim if he proves form

Exactly. That’s all we have now and Guy was awful in the fly at nationals. Peters has been the number 1 in the country for a while… I must admit I really don’t understand this decision at all. They found a way to nominate Angharad in related circumstances (swimming the time in the heat but not the final) despite the female medley relay missing the time. 
I felt the 200 had enough cover with Joe being in the team (and Max) but there we are, they have gone super conservative for the free relays at the expense of the medley.