GB Athletics

35 minutes ago, RussB said:

another near miss. Poor Neita

do my eyes not work anymore, how did she not win that

edit: just seen the reply...just dip ffs

Edited by Olympicsnell

Just now, Olympicsnell said:

do my eyes not work anymore, how did she not win that

Hilariously the comm called it definitively for Neita which seemed a little bold but the photo made it seem like not all that close which is mad. 

feels like these champs is a case of what ifs for the british champs. Not sure there are any performances here that will fundamentally change conceptions of medals in Paris. Possibly Charlie D aside although his opener indicated this level of performance.

3 minutes ago, RussB said:

Hilariously the comm called it definitively for Neita which seemed a little bold but the photo made it seem like not all that close which is mad. 

feels like these champs is a case of what ifs for the british champs. Not sure there are any performances here that will fundamentally change conceptions of medals in Paris. Possibly Charlie D aside although his opener indicated this level of performance.

Well, I thought it was a clear win for Neita until I saw the photo.  Any kind of a dip and Neita would have won. 

17 minutes ago, Olympicsnell said:

yeah i still feel strongly that GB need to put all eggs in the mixed 4x400 basket, because outside of molly, keeley and relay shenanigans i think we struggle to gold on the track 

Glad at least someone agrees with me on this forum 🤣🤣

I don't think anyone doubts that we have a good chance of a medal in the mixed 4x4 with our best team out. But that doesn't mean the athletes believe that, or believe that it is worth hurting their individual chances. Maybe they will have a different view going into Paris. But it's clear that these champs were always something of a test event and therefore were always likely to be a relative let down from a GBR point of view.

I mean, just look at the list of people we're missing, all of whom are in the top 3/4 of an event in GBR this season, for one reason or another:

Azu

Hinchliffe

Prescod

Hughes

NMB

MHS

Young

Pattison

Kerr

Wightman

Atkin

Lansiquot

Anning

John

Gill

Muir

KJT (effectively)

That list includes many of both our individual medalists at the last 2 worlds, and many of our prospective relay teams.

Then consider the athletes who might not be quite at their best because they are worried about trials, or who took a casual approach here ie only did one event when they might double in Paris etc.

Finally, we're never going to be a country who wins masses of golds. And even if we put out our top 4 in the mixed, the US would almost certainly still beat it if they did the same.

Edited by Epic Failure

I think it's been clear that the British athletes are more focused on the trials and what lies beyond. There are also a few people who have made mistakes in Rome that they will learn from and may prove a blessing in disguise.

7 hours ago, Epic Failure said:

I don't think anyone doubts that we have a good chance of a medal in the mixed 4x4 with our best team out. But that doesn't mean the athletes believe that, or believe that it is worth hurting their individual chances. Maybe they will have a different view going into Paris. But it's clear that these champs were always something of a test event and therefore were always likely to be a relative let down from a GBR point of view.

I mean, just look at the list of people we're missing, all of whom are in the top 3/4 of an event in GBR this season, for one reason or another:

Azu

Hinchliffe

Prescod

Hughes

NMB

MHS

Young

Pattison

Kerr

Wightman

Atkin

Lansiquot

Anning

John

Gill

Muir

KJT (effectively)

That list includes many of both our individual medalists at the last 2 worlds, and many of our prospective relay teams.

Then consider the athletes who might not be quite at their best because they are worried about trials, or who took a casual approach here ie only did one event when they might double in Paris etc.

Finally, we're never going to be a country who wins masses of golds. And even if we put out our top 4 in the mixed, the US would almost certainly still beat it if they did the same.

But this is precisely my point. The US will very likely not take this approach with the mixed relay. The squads that would - Ireland, Netherlands (possibly) are extremely beatable with GB's best 4 out. I still think the US would be the main danger simply due to the depth that they have in the event but chances are so much higher than the individual events (we can ignore the men's and women's relays because the US will be far too strong). I would strong disagree with "that doesn't mean our athlete's believe that" they have a good chance to win gold with our best squad. The team and the athletes will know going into Paris (IF everyone is healthy), you have probably 2 of the quickest men at the games, plus Amber who should be making the individual final + Lavaia, this is a quartet that even the US would recognise as being a handful. And again, I've consistently said they probably won't prioritise the mixed relay because of their focus on the individual. In particular MHS, and I suspect Amber and Charlie will follow suit (all for one and one for all approach). Whether its "right" or "wrong" is almost a misleading question, I'm sure for the athlete's whose profession is by its nature an individual one, then the allure of Olympic individual honours far outshines the chance of a gold that is dependent on many more variables outside of their own performance. This can certainly hold true whilst at the same time it being true, that being from a purely statistical chance of a gold medal in Paris on the track in the 400m events, GB would be better suited by going all in on the mixed relay.

The let down was always likely given missing Kerr/Weightman, Hughes/Hinchliffe, Anning and Muir I agree. I'm not 100% convinced the other squad members listed would have made much of a difference to the overall feel of the meet. There were opportunities for the existing squad here however, and in an event with high performances across the board (NRs seem to be broken on a regular basis) that hasn't applied for GB who are admittedly focusing on their trials next month. Even with that admission however, I think many of the athletes will leave here not pleased. Neita, Molly, Reekie, KJT...the men's sprint squad as a whole (barring Rommell), the list goes on. There were an unhelpful combination of some poor performances in finals, plus near misses.

Still one day left, hopeful for Gourley to make his mark at 1500m, Patrick in the 10k, the boys in the 4x4 [will be interesting to see the quarter chosen, the 2 Charlie's + Toby + 1 other], girls in the 4x1 to lay down a marker [hopefully Neita comes in for Asha and they put Amy on lead off] and of course Keely tonight can put more of a gloss on the Champs for GBR.

Edited by RussB
Duplication

11 hours ago, RussB said:

Glad at least someone agrees with me on this forum 🤣🤣

A full strength mixed 4 x 400 from GBR will absolutely be competitive if it includes both Charlie and Matthew - BIG IF. But it looks increasingly impossible to combine mixed 4, sexed 4 and individual 4 without mega depth. Mutterings beginning already that Rhasidat Adeleke is going to be pulled from Irish relay teams to protect her individual chances (which I think is insane, not least given how strong Sharlene is as a relay runner) - feels more and more like rowing where you have to look at your pool and concentrate your crews! GBR of course has already tasted this problem in the pool itself with the workload put on Scott, Guy and Dean (and which will be put also on richards this time)

As for where GBR are, there have been a handful of genuine disappointsments and setbacks, but really not many - youngsters like Keith, Dobson and Caudery may be pissed off with missing Gold, as will Neita but they have reinforced their world class credentials - a welcome multiple boost for the squad going forward. Glave's very strong international debut cannot be overshadowed by the relay debacle. Thackery, Bell and Mills were fantastic, Sember, Mitchem-Duke, Scott Lincoln, Ali Chalmers all good progress, very encouraging work from the Neilsens, Jade O'Dowda, Anna Purchase.

The genuine disappointments/concerns are relatively few, albeit they are real and bad - KJT, Eilish, Men's relay, Jessie Knight, Maybe Jemma Reekie in terms of kick. I'm not sure 1, 2 and 4 are fixable, I'm sure 3 is, I'm sure 5 isn't, but not certain that matters.

and of course Dina, and hopefully Keely

It's been a development event for GBR, but I think it's served its purpose well, and a home non-Olympic event in Birmingham in 2026 looks more interesting from a medalling perspective.

As for Paris, I think GBR were maybe a little spoilt during the golden years from Ohoruogu in 2008 to Dina/KJT in 2019. Let's keep it realistic, enjoy ANY medals and strong performances, and for god sake practice the men's relay.

Edited by mpjmcevoy

4 hours ago, RussB said:

I would strong disagree with "that doesn't mean our athlete's believe that" they have a good chance to win gold with our best squad. The team and the athletes will know going into Paris (IF everyone is healthy), you have probably 2 of the quickest men at the games, plus Amber who should be making the individual final + Lavaia, this is a quartet that even the US would recognise as being a handful. And again, I've consistently said they probably won't prioritise the mixed relay because of their focus on the individual. In particular MHS, and I suspect Amber and Charlie will follow suit (all for one and one for all approach). Whether its "right" or "wrong" is almost a misleading question, I'm sure for the athlete's whose profession is by its nature an individual one, then the allure of Olympic individual honours far outshines the chance of a gold that is dependent on many more variables outside of their own performance. This can certainly hold true whilst at the same time it being true, that being from a purely statistical chance of a gold medal in Paris on the track in the 400m events, GB would be better suited by going all in on the mixed relay.

Apologies, my lack of proof reading meant I said something I didn't intend. I meant to say that "that doesn't mean our athletes believe that their best chance of gold is the mixed relay".

I'm sure they believe that they can/should medal and I'm sure they believe that they have a decent chance of gold.

But MHS surely believes the same about his individual slot. The others maybe less so, but can they win without him? I'm not sure.

I guess I'm just not as convinced as you that them going all in on the mixed is statistically more likely. Prior to 2022, sure, I'd agree. But MHS is absolutely a serious gold medal contender. Arguably right now he's the favourite.