website statistics

Men's Ice Hockey Qualification to Winter Olympic Games Milano-Cortina 2026

Totallympics

I think that I need some break from watching and following sport, it's truly hearthbreaking how many bad luck we have in recent months, I even find a few grey hairs on my head, despite that I'm not that old, probably because of being too nervous...

19 minutes ago, hckošice said:

Final Qualifying Tournaments

D in Bratislava, Slovakia

:SVK

:BLR

:KAZ

:UKR

E in Riga, Latvia

:LAT

:FRA

:AUT

:JPN

F in TBD, Denmark

:DEN

:NOR

:SLO

:GBR

Do you still think we will find out about Belarus this coming week at the meetings ?  I would guess if Belarus is out then I suspect Hungary would replace them ( might have been Poland but now that they lost again i assume Poland is out)

7 minutes ago, stockblock said:

Do you still think we will find out about Belarus this coming week at the meetings ?  I would guess if Belarus is out then I suspect Hungary would replace them ( might have been Poland but now that they lost again i assume Poland is out)

I think they will need at least one more team in both cases  - as for now - Ukraine will not play against belarus.

8 minutes ago, stockblock said:

A special general assembly of IIHF leaderboard is schedulled from Monday (Tomorrow) in Zurich. One of the main points (the most important) is the discussion followed by vote about the eventual extention of the ban on :RUS and :BLR from IIHF program (including the WOG Milano-Cortina 2026)

This is a full 14 members list of the leaderboard which will vote for or against extention of the ban

Luc Tardif (FRA), Petr Bříza (CZE), Bob Nicholson (CAN), Henrik Bach Nielsen (DEN), Aivaz Omorkanov (KGZ), Zsuzsanna Kolbenheyer (HUN), Marta Zawadzka (POL), Franz Reindl (GER), Pavel Bure (RUS), Andrea Gios (ITA), Heikki Hietanen (FIN), Viesturs Koziols (LAT), Anders Larsson (SWE) and Raeto Raffainer (SUI)

PS: We already know 2 votes for the continue of the ban

The Swede Larsson and Finn Hietanen have already told to their domestic media that their oppinion about the continuation of the ban not changed. "In the current situation, we consider it impossible for Russia and Belarus to start. This is about the safety of players and events. My clear opinion is that the situation has not changed, so Sweden's position is clear," the Swedish official told Expressen.

1 hour ago, avlar said:

I think they will need at least one more team in both cases  - as for now - Ukraine will not play against belarus.

I think 2 other possible options are where only one team is needed

1) They could kick Belarus out of the Olympics because they have to make that decision now but leave Russia in the iffy position because the Olympics are not till 2026 !  Then make the final decision on Russia in the Olympics at a later date.

2) They could do what FIBA always does.  Kick both out but add only one team. Then say the three winners plus the highest ranking non-winner advances to the Olympics. Basically saying Slovakia you have to play the 3 games but your in anyway.

Edited by stockblock

3 hours ago, hckošice said:

A special general assembly of IIHF leaderboard is schedulled from Monday (Tomorrow) in Zurich. One of the main points (the most important) is the discussion followed by vote about the eventual extention of the ban on :RUS and :BLR from IIHF program (including the WOG Milano-Cortina 2026)

This is a full 14 members list of the leaderboard which will vote for or against extention of the ban

Luc Tardif (FRA), Petr Bříza (CZE), Bob Nicholson (CAN), Henrik Bach Nielsen (DEN), Aivaz Omorkanov (KGZ), Zsuzsanna Kolbenheyer (HUN), Marta Zawadzka (POL), Franz Reindl (GER), Pavel Bure (RUS), Andrea Gios (ITA), Heikki Hietanen (FIN), Viesturs Koziols (LAT), Anders Larsson (SWE) and Raeto Raffainer (SUI)

PS: We already know 2 votes for the continue of the ban

The Swede Larsson and Finn Hietanen have already told to their domestic media that their oppinion about the continuation of the ban not changed. "In the current situation, we consider it impossible for Russia and Belarus to start. This is about the safety of players and events. My clear opinion is that the situation has not changed, so Sweden's position is clear," the Swedish official told Expressen.

If you hear anything about the results from this meeting would you post it here ! In the USA they rarely give any info on the IIHF.  Thanks in advance

19 hours ago, stockblock said:

If you hear anything about the results from this meeting would you post it here ! In the USA they rarely give any info on the IIHF.  Thanks in advance

Translated from Šport.SK (The link under the text)

The IIHF has (not) decided on the fate of Russia and Belarus. It will also affect Slovakia

Today, the International Ice Hockey Federation (IIHF) decided on the fate of Russia and Belarus for the next season. It extended the ban on both countries from participating in IIHF events and excluded Belarus from qualifying for the Olympics.

Belarus was supposed to play Slovakia in the qualifiers in Bratislava. The IIHF has not announced who will replace them or how the situation will be resolved. At the end of August, teams from Kazakhstan and Ukraine are scheduled to arrive to Bratislava. Who will be the fourth team is still questionable. Likewise, what would happen in the case that Russia will not be allowed to play at the Olympics and how their place will be awarded.

IIHF Statement Today,

during one of its regular meetings, the IIHF Council reviewed the current security risks associated with the re-inclusion of the Russian and Belarusian national and club teams in IIHF competitions. Based on a thorough analysis, the IIHF Council has concluded that it is not yet safe to re-enter Russian and Belarusian teams into IIHF competitions. Therefore, Russia and Belarus will not participate in the 2024/2025 season. This decision will also affect the Belarusian team in connection with the final Olympic tournament, which will take place in August 2024. The IIHF Council will, as it has done in previous years, continue to monitor the situation, with the deadline to determine whether it is safe to re-include Russia and Belarus in the 2025/2026 IIHF season to be May 2025 during the IIHF Council meeting prior to the IIHF Annual Congress.

https://sport.aktuality.sk/hokej/clanok/iihf-rozhodla-o-osude-ruska-a-bieloruska-ovplyvni-to-aj-slovakov-2024021221063315986

Edited by hckošice

28 minutes ago, hckošice said:

Translated from Šport.SK (The link under the text)

The IIHF has (not) decided on the fate of Russia and Belarus. It will also affect Slovakia

Today, the International Ice Hockey Federation (IIHF) decided on the fate of Russia and Belarus for the next season. It extended the ban on both countries from participating in IIHF events and excluded Belarus from qualifying for the Olympics.

Belarus was supposed to play Slovakia in the qualifiers in Bratislava. The IIHF has not announced who will replace them or how the situation will be resolved. At the end of August, teams from Kazakhstan and Ukraine are scheduled to arrive to Bratislava. Who will be the fourth team is still questionable. Likewise, what would happen in the case that Russia will not be allowed to play at the Olympics and how their place will be awarded.

IIHF Statement Today,

during one of its regular meetings, the IIHF Council reviewed the current security risks associated with the re-inclusion of the Russian and Belarusian national and club teams in IIHF competitions. Based on a thorough analysis, the IIHF Council has concluded that it is not yet safe to re-enter Russian and Belarusian teams into IIHF competitions. Therefore, Russia and Belarus will not participate in the 2024/2025 season. This decision will also affect the Belarusian team in connection with the final Olympic tournament, which will take place in August 2024. The IIHF Council will, as it has done in previous years, continue to monitor the situation, with the deadline to determine whether it is safe to re-include Russia and Belarus in the 2025/2026 IIHF season to be May 2025 during the IIHF Council meeting prior to the IIHF Annual Congress.

https://sport.aktuality.sk/hokej/clanok/iihf-rozhodla-o-osude-ruska-a-bieloruska-ovplyvni-to-aj-slovakov-2024021221063315986

Good that Belarus is out.  Russia gets another year in the iffy Olympics.  I suspect the replacement will be Hungary.  They are the highest ranked.