website statistics

Tokyo 2020 Day after Day as it could have happened

49 minutes ago, rafalgorka said:

YES! We claimed an imaginary gold. We take those :cool:

What events was everyone looking forward to on day 3?

I was looking forward to men’s team archery, cycling mountain bike, swimming finals, table tennis mixed doubles finals & triathlon.

5 hours ago, bmo said:

I was looking forward to men’s team archery, cycling mountain bike, swimming finals, table tennis mixed doubles finals & triathlon.

Team Archery is always good.  The fact that Korea always gets Gold makes everyone else more relaxed.  Mountain bike can be a bit dull with the winner obvious after one lap.  Men’s triathlon will be wide open after the Brownlee Brothers dominance.  I’m tipping :NOR.  Table tennis mixed doubles will be 

1. China
  2. Chinese mercenaries playing for someone else
  3. Chinese mercenaries playing for someone else

6 godzin temu, bmo napisał:

11.30 pm - men's triathlon - an entertaining race, but what an awful hour here

3.30 am - swimming finals - as always

7 am - canoe slalom C1 men

7.20 am - Poland vs Italy in men's volleyball - I don't think we will win that - we are world champions twice in a row in 2014 and 2018, but we play much worse in the olympics - 4 times eliminated in quarters 2004, 8, 12, 16

8 am - cycling mtb - Schurter vs van der Poel clash

noon - gymnastics - men's team - I wonder whether Russia will compete under its own flag

in a spare time - men's rugby prelims and basketball of course

and cheering Julia Kowalczyk in -57 kg judo contest - possible first medal for PL in Tokyo? we will see.

You need a TV and a computer on to watch this simultaneously, but it is always like that with the games ;-)

2 uur geleden, rafalgorka zei:

11.30 pm - men's triathlon - an entertaining race, but what an awful hour here

3.30 am - swimming finals - as always

7 am - canoe slalom C1 men

7.20 am - Poland vs Italy in men's volleyball - I don't think we will win that - we are world champions twice in a row in 2014 and 2018, but we play much worse in the olympics - 4 times eliminated in quarters 2004, 8, 12, 16

8 am - cycling mtb - Schurter vs van der Poel clash

noon - gymnastics - men's team - I wonder whether Russia will compete under its own flag

in a spare time - men's rugby prelims and basketball of course

and cheering Julia Kowalczyk in -57 kg judo contest - possible first medal for PL in Tokyo? we will see.

You need a TV and a computer on to watch this simultaneously, but it is always like that with the games ;-)

The Schurter - van der Poel clash definitely highlights day 3 for me. Furthermore the start of the RSX sailing; Kiran Badloe took out two times Olympic champion (12,16) Dorian van Rijsselberghe in the qualifications, so Badloe is a great medal hope for us. 

3 godziny temu, Grassmarket napisał:

Table tennis mixed doubles will be 

1. China

I don't know about that. After all there are not so many Chinese olympic medalists competing under different flag. In Rio we had two girls in German team but before that? I'm not sure if it ever happened except this one case.

2 godziny temu, rafalgorka napisał:

I would say that's brave statement considering that our last judo medal was in Atlanta and that last year WCh medal of Kowalczyk was a big suprise. And all this assuming that Kowalczyk will compete in Tokyo (there is also Borowska who beat Kowalczyk at Polish Championships). But as always in such cases, I hope I am wrong.

But let's back to the subject. Number one event for me would be C1 final, definitely. After that Archery, MTB, Skeet and Triathlon. Except that Basketball (both), Badminton, Sailing and Swimming.

4 hours ago, Grassmarket said:

Team Archery is always good.  The fact that Korea always gets Gold makes everyone else more relaxed.  Mountain bike can be a bit dull with the winner obvious after one lap.  Men’s triathlon will be wide open after the Brownlee Brothers dominance.  I’m tipping :NOR.  Table tennis mixed doubles will be 

1. China

In 2016 there were 38 Chinese born players competing for other countries in table tennis.

40 in London,

Gracenote are doing a day by day prediction for The Mail newspaper in the UK

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/othersports/article-8561567/Virtual-Olympic-Games-Jade-Jones-claims-Team-GB-gold-medal-taekwondo-star-makes-history.html

A little too focused on GBR results perhaps,

18 hours ago, bmo said:

Fencing as always (especially men's Foil), but also M + W Skeet in Shotgun Shooting (we have 2 gold and 1 silver medal to defend in those 2 events), Judo (Fabio Basile trying to win back-to-back Gold medals in 2 different weight classes, this time in the -73kg), Taekwondo (hoping that our world champion Simone Alessio could qualify and then also win a medal), Men's Team event in Archery (where we have great tradition, who forgot the London 2012 Gold medal?), obviously Swimming and finally the men's race in Mountain Bike (with Kerschbaumer ready to upset the 2 main favourites)...

most likely, this is the day with the most medal chances on paper for Italy of the entire Games...