website statistics

Tokyo 2020 Day after Day as it could have happened

8 minutes ago, rafalgorka said:

I can see in Nagano it was in English, too.

Well, I am not sure if Japanese organizers should agree on that. I think general rule is that parade of nations is according to the organizers' alphabet.

But that;s their decision.

I don't agree with morning swimming finals, either. But what can you do?

Well back then when there is no TPE-CHN dispute in Tokyo 1964 or Sapporo 1972, they also used English too. So, it might be also the Japanese decision not to sort them by kana - but I do really hope they use it someday.

Iceland with march after Greece, and Russia will be the last before Japan assuming there is no refugee team/IOA

1 hour ago, Griff88 said:

Well back then when there is no TPE-CHN dispute in Tokyo 1964 or Sapporo 1972, they also used English too. So, it might be also the Japanese decision not to sort them by kana - but I do really hope they use it someday.

Iceland with march after Greece, and Russia will be the last before Japan assuming there is no refugee team/IOA

Actually France will be before Japan, because of this dumb change: https://www.japantimes.co.jp/sports/2019/12/04/olympics/u-s-france-japan-march-last-2020-parade-nations/

33 minuty temu, bmo napisał:

What events was everyone looking forward to the most on day1?

I was excited for the debut of 3x3 Basketball, Mixed Team Archery & Men’s Road Race the most.

Men's cycling road race definitely - i love this route, it is very interesting, it should be a great race, at least as good as in Rio, but more safe for the riders, I hope.

I remember Alaphilippe and Evenepoel had their supporters here, but I'd rather still bet on Roglic.

Van Avermaet won virtual Tour of Flanders the other day - I'm not sure if it means much, but he should be in a great form in Tokyo. Great enough for second gold? Not sure. But who knows, cycling road race is always unpredictable.

From Polish perspective - I was waiting for men's volleyball. Poland vs Iran - there is a long history of tense matches between these two teams. So it should be another good match, five sets I guess. And after that - USA vs France - so a good piece of volleyball in the afternoon european time.

Swimming and artistic gymnastics qualifications  - I always watch these two disciplines carefully. No medals yet, but already looking for some surprises.

In tennis - maybe Hubert Hurkacz could have an interesting match.

I'm not really into archery - but basketball 3x3 could be something new to watch. Poland had bronze in 2019 world cup, but it is very tough challenge for them to qualify for the olympics. I'm not sure they are to able to do that.

Anyway, I would have to wake up at 2 am maybe, but what the hell - it's olympics time! ;-) it would be fun.

40 minutes ago, rafalgorka said:

Men's cycling road race definitely - i love this route, it is very interesting, it should be a great race, at least as good as in Rio, but more safe for the riders, I hope.

I remember Alaphilippe and Evenepoel had their supporters here, but I'd rather still bet on Roglic.

Van Avermaet won virtual Tour of Flanders the other day - I'm not sure if it means much, but he should be in a great form in Tokyo. Great enough for second gold? Not sure. But who knows, cycling road race is always unpredictable.

From Polish perspective - I was waiting for men's volleyball. Poland vs Iran - there is a long history of tense matches between these two teams. So it should be another good match, five sets I guess. And after that - USA vs France - so a good piece of volleyball in the afternoon european time.

Swimming and artistic gymnastics qualifications  - I always watch these two disciplines carefully. No medals yet, but already looking for some surprises.

In tennis - maybe Hubert Hurkacz could have an interesting match.

I'm not really into archery - but basketball 3x3 could be something new to watch. Poland had bronze in 2019 world cup, but it is very tough challenge for them to qualify for the olympics. I'm not sure they are to able to do that.

Anyway, I would have to wake up at 2 am maybe, but what the hell - it's olympics time! ;-) it would be fun.

2am is not bad compared to events starting at 8 pm, going through the night and ending at 9 am in the morning here in the USA 

5 minut temu, bmo napisał:

2am is not bad compared to events starting at 8 pm, going through the night and ending at 9 am in the morning here in the USA 

I know what you mean, I will have the same when the olympics will come to LA in 2028.

If we fight the virus until then :-(

and watching Rio olympics in Europe wasn't easy, either. Swimming finals were so late in the night.

But it wasn't staying out until 9 am, I must say.

1 minute ago, rafalgorka said:

I know what you mean, I will have the same when the olympics will come to LA in 2028.

If we fight the virus until then :-(

and watching Rio olympics in Europe wasn't easy, either. Swimming finals were so late in the night.

But it wasn't staying out until 9 am, I must say.

Rio was perfect for me. They were only a 1 hour difference. Events started at 8 am & ended at 11 pm. Literally the dream scenario

4 hours ago, bmo said:

What events was everyone looking forward to the most on day1?

I was excited for the debut of 3x3 Basketball, Mixed Team Archery & Men’s Road Race the most.

Fencing,  Judo, Taekwondo above all...then Shooting, Archery, the men's Road Race in Cycling and the Rowing and Swimming heats (especially those with Italian contenders)...

but basically I always try to watch as much as I can (except for my "enemies", those sports-non-sports where biased/corrupted judging is the only things that counts towards the final outcome of the competition)...

Well, normally I would be very happy with our first medal at this moment: in the mixed recurve competition. Our handball women were in the form of their lives, like swimmer Arno Kamminga and some rowing teams. We would have seen them at the first day, but instead I have to cry all day in between hoping for a vaccine. 

Strength for all sport enthousiasts! And more important: stay healthy!