website statistics

Asian Games 2022 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

Went to sleep last night while the :PHI men’s basketball team were down by  18 points 48-30 :CHN in the semifinals. Woke up surprised to find that they had won the game 77-76. The men’s team are back in the final for the first time since 1990.

On 10/3/2023 at 4:11 AM, Olympian1010 said:

Might have to start keeping score of English commentators versus the common Vietnamese name “Nguyen.” I don’t think I’ve heard a single international feed commentator get it right so far…

Kind of embarrassing at the Asian Games.

It's getting worse every single day it seems...

Weightlifting commentators keeps pronouncing Hyang as "Chang" and my favorite is shortening of DPRK as "Democratic People's" (which is as we know, very wrong both literally and figuratively).

I think it's clear now that this will be our worst Asian Games since 2006 after winning something like ~20 golds and ~60 medals in past 3 editions we certainly can't repeat that this time. 

most of our "big sports" failed to repeat their results from past 3 editions, Greco wrestling was the last of them with winning only 2 gold medals, I was hoping/expecting 4 but one of them got pinned despite leading 7-0 and the other guy got robbed blatantly in 87kg final. Karate is in decline too, Taekwondo failed to win a gold for the first time ever. (even though I believe they did OK) our Boxing is fading completely. weightlifting could do better but having non-Olympic weights here (instead of Olympic weights) was a weird decision and hurt Iran's few chances.

so it's just wrestling plus 1 gold medal here and there in other sports. :(

personally I was expecting something like 17-18 gold medals and 60 medals in total but that's not going to happen. we lost lots of gold medals narrowly, also we have something like 25 fourth place finishes (or 5th place where we have joint bronze) :facepalm:I'm not hugely surprised though, we knew the situation here. less money, less medals

but on the positive side, we are in a clear path to a surprising historical gold medal in Chess ! we also won first ever medal in Gymnastics and Women's Cycling. 

I hope freestyle wrestling delivers what's expected, (4 or 5 gold medals) at least we can have a happy ending :d

Edited by MHSN