website statistics

Rowing WR European Championships 2023

Totallympics

:NED is fielding boats in the following classes: W1x, W2-, W2x, W4-, W4x and M1x, M2-, M2x, W4-, W4x.

No lightweight doublesculls and no womens eight. Another notable development is Tokyo silver medalists Broenink and Twellaar are back in the M2x, after being split apart last season. In the M4x two of the four Tokyo gold medalists are still present. Based on last season the biggest name in the squad is Florijn in the W1x though!

:GRE team:

Men:

Single Sculls: Stefanos Ntouskos

Pair: Dimitrios Boukouvalas and Zisis Boukouvalas

Lightweight Double Sculls: Petros Gkaidatzis and Antonios Papakonstantinou

Women:

Single Sculls: Evangelia Fragkou

Lightweight Single Sculls: Evangelia Anastasiadou

Lightweight Double Sculls: Zoi Fitsiou and Dimitra Kontou

I'm surprised we didn't send a men's double sculls after last year we had Kalandaridis/Palaiopanos make Final A at the World Championships. I thought them along with the other three men's boats would be the ones we try to send to Paris.

I expect a lot of changes in the women's crews over the next few months :lol:

Fragkou has won a bunch of U19 and U23 medals in single sculls, double sculls, and pair. Now she is back in the single sculls :d

Anastasiadou won medals last year in single sculls (Euros), lightweight single sculls (World U23 and Euro U23), and then reached the A Final at the World Championships in the lightweight double with Kontou. Now she is in the lightweight single sculls again, when she should be focusing on an Olympic category as it is a pre-Olympic year...

Bourmpou, the Kyridou sisters, and Tsamopoulou are all competing in the NCAA Championships this weekend, so I guess they will be joining the national team afterwards.

Also, I'm surprised we aren't even attempting to send a women's double sculls here. Natsioula won three gold medals last year in that event (European U23, World U19 with a world record, and European U19), and should've been given a shot at the senior level in my opinion.

I don't know how to feel about these championships, it feels like every major championship is an experiment for the Lithuanian team.

Pretty much every single crew participating here is newly formed, some have been rowing together for three weeks.

Lithuania was preparing a women's quadruple sculls team, one got injured and now we have a single sculler and double sculls instead :d 

I think only men's pair is the single boat that has been rowing together for a few years in our 6 boat squad.

3 hours ago, dodge said:

Most countries experiment a little for the European championships. Some of the bigger names are missing while others try some combinations for the first time

That is indeed correct. The Netherlands has also changed the composition of a number of boats. The priority boats are the Men's Eight, Men's Four, Women's Four and Women's Quadruple Sculls. And it is precisely in those numbers that Great Britain is much too strong. True to tradition, I expect a lot of silver and bronze for the Netherlands.

1 hour ago, CCB said:

That is indeed correct. The Netherlands has also changed the composition of a number of boats. The priority boats are the Men's Eight, Men's Four, Women's Four and Women's Quadruple Sculls. And it is precisely in those numbers that Great Britain is much too strong. True to tradition, I expect a lot of silver and bronze for the Netherlands.

I am also surprised two of our strongest rowers are in de W2x, where the Romanian boat is basically unbeatable and you're just racing for silver as well.

3 minutes ago, Jinzha said:

I am also surprised two of our strongest rowers are in de W2x, where the Romanian boat is basically unbeatable and you're just racing for silver as well.

That surprises me too. Roos de Jong and Laila Youssifou are the best Dutch rowers at the moment. Together with Ymkje Clevering and Veronique Meester they could form a very strong Four or Quadruple, but the union prefers 2x silver to 1x gold. Romania is just way too strong in the W2x. There were rumors that Simona Radis from the Romanian Double Sculls was going to skiff, but luckily she didn't. Otherwise Karolien Florijn would have a problem.

Anastasiadou won her heat easily in LW1X, so I think it would be shocking if she does not win a medal. I don't know if gold is possible though, as Cozmiuc seems almost unstoppable.

Ntouskos winning his heat in M1X is also a good sign, and hopefully he can get another medal here.

Our LM2X did great, finishing 2nd in their heat. So far they seem to be on the right track to qualify for Paris :yes

Our LW2X also did well and finished 2nd in their heat.

Unfortunately, our men's pair was absolutely horrible, finishing 6th in their heat and by some margin. I mean, this same crew couldn't even make the A Final of the World U23s last year, so I shouldn't be too surprised...

Fragkou finishing 4th out of 5 in her heat in W1X was also disappointing, but I think we will see her in another category to try and qualify for Paris.