website statistics

Russian athletes that have changed nationalities

Cinnamon Bun

The fact that Russian athletes competes for other countries doesn't change their nationality, many of them did this to continue to earn money from the sport and not because they are really against this war, unfortunatly. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/1/2023 at 6:42 PM, MHSN said:

just checked again to make sure they didn't change the rule

"The new national federation of a wrestler who wishes to change his/her sports nationality shall send a request in writing with complete file and payment(s) to United World Wrestling in the period between 1 and 31 December."

https://cdn.uww.org/s3fs-public/2022-07/change_nationality_june_2022_final_eng.pdf?VersionId=J.DIBoIwL1TqZV1PmTcNu0NhOz0kQQqM

but maybe Greek federation sent the request earlier but if they didn't he has to wait until 2024 to be eligible.

He is competing for Greece at the upcoming European Championships! It was announces yesterday by our media.

I think that Nikolaev will have trouble changing his sports nationality to Australia with World Aquatics' updated nationality rules because he hasn't even been living Australia for a year yet let alone three years. Kirpichnikova on the other hand has been living in France for quite a while hasn't she?

I wonder if World Aquatics changed the rules because they were anticipating a flood of Russians switching nationality.

On 4/22/2023 at 1:22 AM, dullard said:

I think that Nikolaev will have trouble changing his sports nationality to Australia with World Aquatics' updated nationality rules because he hasn't even been living Australia for a year yet let alone three years. Kirpichnikova on the other hand has been living in France for quite a while hasn't she?

I wonder if World Aquatics changed the rules because they were anticipating a flood of Russians switching nationality.

I confirm, Kirpichnikova lives in France and trains in France. she has French nationality because yesterday she competed in the French open water championships in Martinique.