website statistics

Rowing WR World Championships 2023 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

Hey @OlympicsFan I honestly have to ask, why are you always so rude to everyone and so negative? Is this how you really are in life, or it is an act? Would it kill you to be kind sometimes? I always see you arguing with people here and calling them words like "stupid." Is it really necessary?

We are all friendly here and should get along with each other, there is no need to behave like this in my opinion. Trust me, everyone else is also thinking what I am saying to you right now.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions and there should be a level of respect for that.

Also you are not always "correct," just remember your unprovoked meltdown about Tentoglou and Greek athletics when he won gold in Tokyo, well it seems you have been proven wrong since then, no?

3 hours ago, Makedonas said:

Are you sure about this? Perhaps the rules have changed but for Rio we qualified a LM4- via the final regatta. The athletes we used there were Giannaros, Karamitros, Ntouskos, and Petrou. In Rio, we used Giannaros, Magdanis, Ntouskos, and Petrou. So Magdanis, who competed in M1X at the final regatta and failed to qualify, found himself replacing Karamitros in LM4- at the Olympic Games.

The other reason could be that we finished 3rd at the final regatta, but it was later revealed (in late July) that one of the Russian athletes was doping, so they got disqualified and their quota place was reallocated to us at the last minute, so maybe they made an exception for us if Karamitros was injured or taking a break or something?

From the qualification document

"For quota places obtained in... Continental Qualification regattas and the Final Qualification regatta, the athlete that qualified the boat(s) at these events have to compete in the same event should they compete at the Olympic Games Paris 2024."

My bolding just for emphasis

The preceding paragraph allows NOCs to pick whoever they want to compete in the boats that qualify in 2023

On 9/10/2023 at 9:31 PM, heywoodu said:

Is rowing a sport where world championships really say a lot about, in this case, next year's Olympics? Of course in terms of overall looks, not in exact medals :p 

Just wondering, since I don't really follow rowing (I did watch all the finals here), but for example in track cycling even world championships usually feel like there's always some athletes missing who'll only appear at the Olympics, no idea if that's the case for rowing as well (like the women's single sculls and one of the boats with two guys, the gap was so big...was everyone there?).

Think it will be very unpredictable this time because all the nations except the top two will now spend the winter planning to reshuffle their strongest assets into different combinations & boats so…..

Edited by Grassmarket

On 9/11/2023 at 12:05 AM, Nickyc707 said:

The US and Australian women actually did a good job with each country qualifying six boats out of seven. It was their male rowers who were below par.

Actually to be even more specific it was their male scullers. Neither country qualified a single crew in any of the four men's classes.

On 9/11/2023 at 1:49 AM, Benolympique said:

it would be good to make a list of the countries which are favorites by event for the final regatta

I'm not sure that's possible Ben for the reasons others have mentioned about crew changes and resources being diverted into a smaller number of boats for the regatta. Also we don't know which events countries will even bother making an attempt to qualify in.

7 hours ago, Nickyc707 said:

I'm not sure that's possible Ben for the reasons others have mentioned about crew changes and resources being diverted into a smaller number of boats for the regatta. Also we don't know which events countries will even bother making an attempt to qualify in.

With the provisos that have been made and bearing in mind that some of these crews could qualify in events that have continental qualifiers these were the next best crews at the WC. 

There are two spots available in each event at the final qualifier. Both single sculls events are complicated by the presence of Belarusian scullers so I've included those who might benefit from their absence should that be the case.

MSS -Belarus/Bulgaria/Italy/Serbia

MDS- Moldova/USA

MLDS - Belgium/New Zealand

MQS - USA/Norway 

MP - Denmark/Lithuania

MF - Switzerland/Italy

ME - USA/Italy

WSS - Belarus/Switzerland/Spain 

WDS - South Africa/Great Britain

WLDS - Poland/Italy

WQS - Ukraine/Italy

WP - Italy/New Zealand

WF - Dennark/Ireland

WE - Italy/China

As you can see Italy have a lot of potential upside with seven crews (31 quotas) in with a realistic chance of qualification if they choose to contest all the events.

The difficulty is assessing the make up of the lineups in each event and the makeup of the crews. Just as an example I can see GB contesting both the men's and women's double sculls but not bothering to enter more than at most one of the other three events they haven't yet qualified in. In the case of the men's double sculls they will have a much stronger crew than in Belgrade and will have a real chance of qualifying.

This applies to many of the stronger countries so they may well challenge in boats against which their name doesn't appear on my list.

My only cast iron tips are that the USA will qualify in the men's eight and Ireland in the women's coxless four. Other than that my money is staying in my wallet! 😎

1 hour ago, Nickyc707 said:

With the provisos that have been made and bearing in mind that some of these crews could qualify in events that have continental qualifiers these were the next best crews at the WC. 

There are two spots available in each event at the final qualifier. Both single sculls events are complicated by the presence of Belarusian scullers so I've included those who might benefit from their absence should that be the case.

MSS -Belarus/Bulgaria/Italy/Serbia

MDS- Moldova/USA

MLDS - Belgium/New Zealand

MQS - USA/Norway 

MP - Denmark/Lithuania

MF - Switzerland/Italy

ME - USA/Italy

WSS - Belarus/Switzerland/Spain 

WDS - South Africa/Great Britain

WLDS - Poland/Italy

WQS - Ukraine/Italy

WP - Italy/New Zealand

WF - Dennark/Ireland

WE - Italy/China

As you can see Italy have a lot of potential upside with seven crews (31 quotas) in with a realistic chance of qualification if they choose to contest all the events.

The difficulty is assessing the make up of the lineups in each event and the makeup of the crews. Just as an example I can see GB contesting both the men's and women's double sculls but not bothering to enter more than at most one of the other three events they haven't yet qualified in. In the case of the men's double sculls they will have a much stronger crew than in Belgrade and will have a real chance of qualifying.

This applies to many of the stronger countries so they may well challenge in boats against which their name doesn't appear on my list.

My only cast iron tips are that the USA will qualify in the men's eight and Ireland in the women's coxless four. Other than that my money is staying in my wallet! 😎

New Zealand , who have strict select guidelines did not send anyone to the FQR for 2020. Other countries that may do similar are Netherlands, Canada, South Africa.

4 minutes ago, Oldira said:

New Zealand , who have strict select guidelines did not send anyone to the FQR for 2020. Other countries that may do similar are Netherlands, Canada, South Africa.

Thanks. That was a point I tried to make more generally about countries deciding what if any events they will contest at the FQR.

18 minutes ago, Oldira said:

New Zealand , who have strict select guidelines did not send anyone to the FQR for 2020. 

That's not quite correct - New Zealand sent and won the Men's Eight at the FQR.

Edited by Rafa Maciel