website statistics

Women's Water Polo Tournament at the Aquatics WA World Championships 2023 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

37 minutes ago, Vektor said:

Bad draw can still be an issue if a team gets unlucky. I mean, imagine this...

:HUN gets defeated by :ESP here in the QF

:HUN gets defeated by :ESP at the Euros in the SF (the winner of the other SF wins the quota there)

:HUN gets defeated by :ESP yet again at the next Worlds in the QF 

If we somehow get Spain early on every time, we might not qualify to Paris even if we are supposedly the 2nd or 3rd best team in Europe, we are just unable to beat the best European team. 

This is why it's an AWFUL idea to have the World Champs as a final qualification tournament instead of an actual qualification tournament where already qualified teams can't compete. 

That's so true.

Because of our Spanish curse I got curious about which team eliminated the Top5 European teams at the major tournaments since Rio.

Team

ECh

WCh

SOG

ECh

WCh

ECh

WCh

SOG

:ESP WON :USA :USA WON :USA :GRE :USA :RUS
:HUN :ESP :USA :ESP :ESP :ESP :NED :CAN :USA
:NED :ESP :HUN :HUN :RUS :ESP WON :RUS NQ
:ITA :GRE :USA NQ :RUS :HUN :HUN :RUS :USA
:GRE :ESP :NED NQ :ESP :USA :NED :ESP NQ

So yeah, this shows that Italy and Greece almost never upsets Spain, Hungary and Netherlands, with the exception of that 2018 Greece upset against Spain. Spain actually hasn't been eliminated in recent years by any of the competing European teams with the exception of that one upset. 

This is why I feel like Spain will very likely win the quota here. Nobody should be able to stop them, except the US in the final.